+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Married again before receiving divorce document -wanna sponsor new wife

zh56

Dec 10, 2009
Help! Say, one has applied for divorce some years ago and has been separated from his wife over 5 years, but did not get the final divorce document from the Ontario court until after getting married again - The court document has a divorce date after the date he was remarried. What problems one will encounter sponsoring his new wife?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

zh56 said:
Help! Say, one has applied for divorce some years ago and has been separated from his wife over 5 years, but did not get the final divorce document from the Ontario court until after getting married again - The court document has a divorce date after the date he was remarried. What problems one will encounter sponsoring his new wife?
As you weren't divorced when you remarried, the marriage is not legal, making you a bigamist. Application would be refused.

PMM

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
If this scenario were legally acceptable for sponsoring in Canada I would have as aneurism. You can't be married (legally wed) to more than one person at a time and quite frankly I can't imagine how you were able to procure a marriage license for the second marriage without the divorce decree from the first!

zh56

Dec 10, 2009
The divorce documents were already filed few years back, but he moved and forgot to collect the final documents from the Ontario Courts - so I was told.
Wedding took place in one of the countries where divorce documents are not required.
Now, He does have the divorce document in his possession and wants to sponsor his wife. The problem is that the Marriage certificate has a wedding date prior to date he obtained his divorce document.
He is legally married and divorced from his first wife. How can his problem be resolved without getting another divorce?

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
Good luck with this. I believe that this person - whomever you are writing on behalf of - broke the law and should not be granted the right to be approved to sponsor inn the spouse category. I do not believe that using the term wife is appropriate under this circumstance. Canada does not allow for multiple spouses. This person could potentially be eligible for a conjugal application, but since the law was broken I expect that would/should be denied also.

He may be legally married but, no he is not legally divorced at the time and in the Canadian legal system be was neither.

Another divorce? From whom? I can't imagine that would help.

I suggest that your say, friend and their, say spouse, apply elsewhere. Say a more lenient country? I can't even believe someone would think they could do this!

Forum seniors, tell me I'm incorrect if I am, but I find this a legislative travesty.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
OK, but let's think freely.

If all the divorce paperwork was filed years ago, then how come the Divorce Certificate has such a recent date? Normally, once the divorce is applied for, assuming it is uncontested (i.e. each spouse agrees), then the actual court decision is automatic, and the Certificate would have an earlier date, regardless when you picked it up.

But if you did not finalize the divorce in Canada before re-marrying in Canada, then the second marriage was illegal hence invalid in Canada, and -- although it's a fine legal point -- you are not really a bigamist in Canada. In fact, you are not married in the eyes of most countries.

However, you may well be guilty of fraud in Canada, because to get re-married you probably had to sign a Certificate of Eligibility to Marry, or equivalent, and in signing this (if you were not legally-divorced at the time), you committed a fraud.

How to remedy the situation? Get married again, in another country (e.g. Las Vegas) to avoid inconvenient questions about the second (invalid) marriage in Canada, then re-apply for residency in Canada showing the Divorce Certificate and subsequent Marriage Certificate.

But first, run this by a lawyer.

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
I don't see how this will help unless the party lies/omits he second wedding on he application. In doing that, the application would still be denied.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Good question. It all turns on whether there was under the Law a second "marriage", since he was ineligible to re-marry. This is a matter for a lawyer. If under the Law the second marriage was invalid, then it did not exist, and he need not report something that does not exist. He is required to report a marriage, not the intention to marry.

On the matter of the date of the Divorce Certificate, some important information is missing. How could his divorce certificate be dated so long after the divorce proceedings? The Divorce Certificate normally bears the date the court made the decision (actually a month after the court decree in Ontario). There may be a clerical error involved, and there are legal remedies to change the date of the Divorce Certificate.

All the more reason to consult a lawyer on this point. If the Certificate can be re-dated, or the lawyer says he doesn't have to declare the second marriage, get it in writing and hold it in reserve in case Canada alleges misrepresentation at a later date.

Here is one example where the documentation and reality are quite different. In reality, the two people divorced emotionally, and meant to do so legally (or so we are told), but somehow the documentation did not follow suit. I hope he finds a way out of this corner, since apparently no "crime" was intended.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My suggestion is for you to seek out a family lawyer. Your situation is way beyond the purposes of the forum. All we can say with certainty is that you are certainly not eligible to sponsor based on your "marriage."

AuntyFozia

Jul 6, 2011
zh56 said:
:eek: :eek: :eek:[move]wht 'll hpnd now??????????[/move]