+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Married after COPR, delay in process wife document

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
it is clearly written in the information document we receive with the COPR that in case of a status change inform IRCC and DO NOT travel with the COPR which has a different status than your current status.
i have been waiting IRCC to acknowledge the status change to married and inform me what to do next.
Was it written on COPR under Remarks? What is your expectation after raising webform notifying them of your marital status change? to re-open the file and reprocess your spouse after COPR is issued? answer is NO. Goodluck waiting, you are risking loosing your copr

vachunik

Nov 12, 2022
Was it written on COPR under Remarks? What is your expectation after raising webform notifying them of your marital status change? to re-open the file and reprocess your spouse after COPR is issued? answer is NO. Goodluck waiting, you are risking loosing your copr
The whole point is one needs to inform IRCC in case of any circumstances change (Marriage) after you have been issued a COPR. In my case, I was single when I was issued a COPR. However I got married after COPR but before landing. In which case, I am required to raise a webform to communicate IRCC regarding the changes and wait for their instructions.

This is not optional, it s mandatory to communicate these changes and yes the expectation is that IRCC will examine my spouse and add him as my dependent and further reissue new COPR's for both of us. This is basically to ensure that your spouse is admissible to Canada, which has a direct impact on the principal applicant's admissibility also.

If I try and land on my existing COPR, then the status on my COPR (Single) is not matching my actual status, which could be interpreted as misrepresentaion in the event that my spouse has not been declared already.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
The whole point is one needs to inform IRCC in case of any circumstances change (Marriage) after you have been issued a COPR. In my case, I was single when I was issued a COPR. However I got married after COPR but before landing. In which case, I am required to raise a webform to communicate IRCC regarding the changes and wait for their instructions.

This is not optional, it s mandatory to communicate these changes and yes the expectation is that IRCC will examine my spouse and add him as my dependent and further reissue new COPR's for both of us. This is basically to ensure that your spouse is admissible to Canada, which has a direct impact on the principal applicant's admissibility also.

If I try and land on my existing COPR, then the status on my COPR (Single) is not matching my actual status, which could be interpreted as misrepresentaion in the event that my spouse has not been declared already.
I understand your point and yes i agree it is mandatory to inform IRCC after change of status. My point is, final decision was made prior to change of status, and you did your part to inform IRCC and no way this is misrepresentation. From my personal experience, with current backlog it takes time to get response, and quite often it is generic reply.

Since you haven't heard anything from IRCC and I guess you dont have time, You can go ahead and complete landing procedure, and put an application to sponsor your spouse. You dont have time since your COPR will expire soon....If you are looking for advice, this is the one and totally within the guidelines.

If you continue waiting, with no reply until your COPR expires, then you need to submit new permanent residence application, pay all the fees and meet any requirements in effect when you apply again