+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage

Nissa

Jan 12, 2011
Hi, I am a Canadian permanent resident and came here in Oct, 2010. I plan to marry my pakistani boyfriend in Malaysia (I am a Malaysian citizen) and he is a Pakistani citizen. Can anyone tell me if

a) he can come and live with me in Canada before I sponsor him as a permanent resident. Is this an easy process?
b) Is it better to sponsor him from inside or outside Canada.

Thanks

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
If he can get a visitor's visa (a TRV) he can come visit you in Canada; people often get a 6-month visa, and they can be extended. But to get a TRV the applicant has to prove he will leave Canada, and this is not easy. The visa officer will want to see ties to his home country or to Malaysia such as enrollment in university, a job with a letter from the boss giving 2 weeks off (for eg.), a mortgage or apartment lease, money in the bank, etc. Even then someone from Pakistan will have a hard time getting a TRV.
If he does manage to get a TRV, then sponsoring him inland would make sense. This way he can stay in Canada while the PR visa is being processed.
If he can't get a TRV, then you will have to sponsor him outland. If he has been admitted to Malaysia for one year (this means the visa he used to enter Malaysia was for a year or more; he doesn't have to have been in Malaysia for a year already) you can sponsor him through the Malaysian visa office, which is much faster than through the one in Pakistan.

People usually think outland is better than inland anyway. With an outland application, the processing times are usually faster, and you can appeal. Inland is faster than outland through Pakistan, though, so if he can get a TRV and you can't sponsor him through Malaysia, I would sponsor him inland.

Nissa

Jan 12, 2011
Thank you very much. I have one question. Can I sponsor him outland while being in malaysia or do I have to be residing in Canada? I mean can I stay in malaysia for a few months or a year with him and then come back with him when his papers are approved?
Thanks

whoopsydaisy

Dec 13, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yay, someone else who will be going through the Malaysian visa office! :D

Hello there Nissa! :)

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Nissa said:
Thank you very much. I have one question. Can I sponsor him outland while being in malaysia or do I have to be residing in Canada? I mean can I stay in malaysia for a few months or a year with him and then come back with him when his papers are approved?
Thanks
A PR who is sponsoring someone has to stay in Canada during the process. Going through Malaysia should be quicker than a year, though. You can go visit him for one or two weeks at a time. The key is to make sure you are available if CIC tries to contact you in Canada, so have someone collect your mail who can notify you if CIC sends you a letter.

whoopsydaisy

Dec 13, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hie Nissa, just to let you know that your inbox is full. Trying to reply to your PM :)