+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage Too Soon?

DandC

Jan 5, 2011
We just got engaged after 3 months of a relationships including 2 trips to visit him. We talk everyday on the phone multiple times I have a great long distance plan :) we send text, email and facebook. We are talking about possibly getting married in November which would be a year for our relationship. Is this a long enough time period or will immigration give us a hard time about the relationship being genuine? I am planning another trip to see him in Mar/April. We looked in to the visitor visa but so much tells us it will be denied because of our relationship. Is it better to apply as a visitor and be denied or just not apply and wait intil we are married and start the sponsership process. At thios point we are not 100% decided Canada would be our home, but we would like to know our options, he is not a fan of moving to the freezer lol. Thanks so much for you input.

S

serenifly

I got married after 3 weeks of engagements. We dated for 1 year, and were friends for 3 years, but everyone thought we married to fast.

F what everyone else thinks, you know when you know there is no timeline on love

/ corny moment

Patricksgirls

Star Member
Oct 31, 2010
I think that with you seeing each other twice it will not be such an issue. Just be prepared for that dreaded interview request. I myself am figuring we will have it since we are getting married right around a year of knowing each other but I spent a little over four months of that year with him plus like you the non stop hours of phone calls and skype. While visiting here this time we made a point of leasing a place together so that even when I am down in the states with my parents we can prove that we have the intent to co habitate.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Getting married after a year is a long enough time. The visa officer won't be suspicious. Visit him as often as you can, and keep proof of your visits and all communication between the two of you.

MandiF

Sep 7, 2010
Alberta Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-11-2010
Med's Done....
02-09-2010
Passport Req..
05-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2011
LANDED..........
25-02-2011
I married my husband almost a year to the day after meeting him for the first time, although we did have a previous year of contact online.

And my PR application has been approved in super quick time, although we didn't apply for this until about 10 months after we were married.

whoopsydaisy

Dec 13, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I hope it's okay for me to tell a bit of my story here, too, and ask for some opinions. :)

I met my Canadian PR boyfriend online in December 2010 and he will be coming to visit me in April/May 2011 for one solid month, staying with me in my parents' house and touring the city/country. He will go back to Canada, and then around October/November/December 2011 he will come back to my country for our wedding, staying for at least one month or at most two months. Depending on when we get married, we will file for my PR application one month after he returns to Canada. How does the timeline sound?

As some side notes: we're not marrying for immigration purposes - we only want to live together. If we have to, we'd live together in my country as husband and wife. But he's Canadian PR and as much as possible we don't want him to lose his residency. Also, even though we haven't met in person yet, we're sure about marrying each other. (I'm 27 and he's 33.)

Kind opinions would be appreciated. :)

nylalisa

Jan 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2010
Doc's Request.
31-01-2011 (additional doc request)
AOR Received.
17-01-2011
File Transfer...
06-01-2011
Med's Request
30-03-2011
Med's Done....
21-10-2010
Interview........
30-03-2011 (Passed and approved same day)
Passport Req..
01-25-2011
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2011 (Received 09-04-2011)
LANDED..........
13-04-2011
The key to everything is proof and demonstrating that your relationship is genuine. No matter the length of time together, you need to prove things. There have been people who have been met and then got married after a long time, there have people who have been crazy and got married super fast (ie me..lol). Definetely, multiple visits and phone calls, cards and stuff as such is all great and only helps your cause. Fact of the matter is this, you wont be the first to meet and marry someone from online and you wont be the last. Just be able to back everything up and show development.

nylalisa

Jan 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2010
Doc's Request.
31-01-2011 (additional doc request)
AOR Received.
17-01-2011
File Transfer...
06-01-2011
Med's Request
30-03-2011
Med's Done....
21-10-2010
Interview........
30-03-2011 (Passed and approved same day)
Passport Req..
01-25-2011
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2011 (Received 09-04-2011)
LANDED..........
13-04-2011
Everyone is going to tell you a different opinion, truth though, my opinion as well, it comes down to the IO. Who knows, people who have been together for a long time, visited and etc etc and are legite can get denied. While someone who is frauding the immigration system will get through np. Just be confident, get your proof and be prepare for a small battle :D...

whoopsydaisy

Dec 13, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nylalisa said:
Everyone is going to tell you a different opinion, truth though, my opinion as well, it comes down to the IO. Who knows, people who have been together for a long time, visited and etc etc and are legite can get denied. While someone who is frauding the immigration system will get through np. Just be confident, get your proof and be prepare for a small battle :D...
+1 8)

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
whoopsydaisy said:
I met my Canadian PR boyfriend online in December 2010 and he will be coming to visit me in April/May 2011 for one solid month, staying with me in my parents' house and touring the city/country. He will go back to Canada, and then around October/November/December 2011 he will come back to my country for our wedding, staying for at least one month or at most two months. Depending on when we get married, we will file for my PR application one month after he returns to Canada. How does the timeline sound?
It's quick, but I would say doable. Good points: you are meeting, staying together for a month to get to know one another better, and staying with your parents, which shows they approve of the match and also that they are 'chaperoning' you. If he stays two months the second time, this would be better - you've got more time actually together to show the visa officer.
Keep proof of everything. Get lots of photos of your time together, and of him with your family and friends. Make sure you have a lot of evidence of communication: phone a lot and use a phone company that will give you records of the number you called - Skype can provide records; use a land line even if it costs more, because solid proof of phone communication is better than a handful of phone cards.

whoopsydaisy

Dec 13, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadianwoman said:
It's quick, but I would say doable. Good points: you are meeting, staying together for a month to get to know one another better, and staying with your parents, which shows they approve of the match and also that they are 'chaperoning' you. If he stays two months the second time, this would be better - you've got more time actually together to show the visa officer.
Keep proof of everything. Get lots of photos of your time together, and of him with your family and friends. Make sure you have a lot of evidence of communication: phone a lot and use a phone company that will give you records of the number you called - Skype can provide records; use a land line even if it costs more, because solid proof of phone communication is better than a handful of phone cards.
Thanks for your opinion, canadianwoman. Will definitely take your good points into consideration.