+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage to US Citizen?

EmmaF

Jan 8, 2017
Hey, thanks for taking the time to read this and help out.

My boyfriend and I of 3 years are considering taking our long distance relationship to a new level. My boyfriend, a US CITIZEN, would like to come visit me for an extended amount of time. It is my understanding that he can stay in Canada without documentation for up to 6 months as a US Citizen. Is this correct? is there a way to extend the time?

Love is a magical thing and if we so happened to get married during this time, how soon after getting a marriage certificate can we apply for sponsorship. Is there any requirements that you must know the person/be married for a certain amount of time to not run into "time delays" or even denials with the application process. This whole sponsorship application is very confusing. After we submit the application, how do we prepare for the rest of the process/what is the rest of the process?

Once we have applied for the Sponsorship process is my US CITIZEN boyfriend allowed to stay in Canada during the process, and what do we do if it takes longer then his allotted time in Canada?

At what point do I or my boyfriend need to provide proof of funding for support? Can anyone clarify this?

Is a medical needed for the sponsored to be finalized and accepted for PR? Can he get this done ahead of time?

My boyfriend is a web developer for a US company. He is able to keep his job even if he does more to Canada. What are the legal issues we need to be aware of? Can he work for his company and get paid in his US bank accounts? Does he have to pay Canadian Taxes for his American job? What does his company have to do to keep this legal? Does he need a work permit?

THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH! I know that all of these questions have been answered somewhere on the web, but consolidating these answers directing relating to my question from an expert or from someone with experience will be a huge relief! YOU'VE SAVED ME SO MANY HEAD ACHES!

If there is anything else that you feel I need to be aware of, please, please make me aware!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would recommend you join the discussions in the Family Sponsorship section of the forum. This is where you'll find others in similar situations.