+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MARRIAGE QUESTION

CBTSHARE

Star Member
Mar 6, 2016
Hello,

When filling out the EE profile it asks about marriage,"what is your marriage status" and I selected legally separated, but on the PR form, it asks "how did the relationship end end".I dont know what to choose, because we still married, but havent been living together for 2 years and the glossary states.

""Separated means that two people are married but no longer living together, and they do not wish to live together again. They may be waiting for a divorce or have not yet decided to divorce."

So what am I to choose, when it asks how did this relationship end?

Annulment
divorce
Death of partner
Ended the common-law relationship

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
I don't think you could use Legally separated if you are not legally divorced yet.
Does not matter whether you have seen the face of your spouse in last many years or not, you must select "Married" as your status, and add his/her name as non-accompanying dependent on your application. In addition, your spouse needs to go through medical examination as well, irrespective of whether they are part of your PR application or not.

CBTSHARE

Star Member
Mar 6, 2016
alok4best said:
I don't think you could use Legally separated if you are not legally divorced yet.
Does not matter whether you have seen the face of your spouse in last many years or not, you must select "Married" as your status, and add his/her name as non-accompanying dependent on your application. In addition, your spouse needs to go through medical examination as well, irrespective of whether they are part of your PR application or not.
what?? well, I am in Canada and she is also in Canada, just dont know where.So you are telling me that she needs to get a medical and then she can choose not to go and jeopardize my chances if the application isn't completed in 60 days?

That makes no sense, why would it have legally separated and divorced,they are not the same, its just that I have no selection for how the marriage ended....can I just apply for divorce now and then select divorce before it comes through?

Mar 25, 2015
Saudi Arabia
Category........
Visa Office......
ABUDHABI
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
15-10-2015
AOR Received.
08-11-2015
Med's Done....
28-10-2015
Passport Req..
03-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
11-08-2016
LANDED..........
27-10-2016
CBTSHARE said:
what?? well, I am in Canada and she is also in Canada, just dont know where.So you are telling me that she needs to get a medical and then she can choose not to go and jeopardize my chances if the application isn't completed in 60 days?

That makes no sense, why would it have legally separated and divorced,they are not the same, its just that I have no selection for how the marriage ended....can I just apply for divorce now and then select divorce before it comes through?
you can select divorce as that is the closet option you have and then mention the reason in LOE and attach it seperately.

hope that helps.

+1 if that helps

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
I am not an expert. If you are not legally divorced you cannot claim that status without creating the possibility of misrepresentation. You are not "legally separated" until you have taken the legal steps required to terminate the marriage. That is why, when you chose legally separated, the four options you were given do not fit your situation. You mentioned "separated" and that definition does fit, as you are still legally married but apart. Sorry I don't know how you can proceed from here, but I don't think it would be wise to say you are divorced as the next step they could ask for is proof of the court documents. Good luck and I hope someone with more knowledge can advise you.

CBTSHARE

Star Member
Mar 6, 2016
Pippin said:
I am not an expert. If you are not legally divorced you cannot claim that status without creating the possibility of misrepresentation. You are not "legally separated" until you have taken the legal steps required to terminate the marriage. That is why, when you chose legally separated, the four options you were given do not fit your situation. You mentioned "separated" and that definition does fit, as you are still legally married but apart. Sorry I don't know how you can proceed from here, but I don't think it would be wise to say you are divorced as the next step they could ask for is proof of the court documents. Good luck and I hope someone with more knowledge can advise you.
Yes, thank you this makes sense, but I don't have contact with her,and if I choose married, then it asks me all these questions about her and I don't even know where she is.We were in Canada, but its been 2 years, I have no idea now.

I didn't give the definition of separated the CIC website did, they said.... "Separated means that two people are married but no longer living together, and they do not wish to live together again. They may be waiting for a divorce or have not yet decided to divorce."

as I said before there is an option, legally separated and divorce, and legally separated fits best because we are married but no longer living together, and they do not wish to live together again, but on the PR form is asks, how did the relationship end.

Mar 25, 2015
Saudi Arabia
Category........
Visa Office......
ABUDHABI
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
15-10-2015
AOR Received.
08-11-2015
Med's Done....
28-10-2015
Passport Req..
03-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
11-08-2016
LANDED..........
27-10-2016
CBTSHARE said:
Yes, thank you this makes sense, but I don't have contact with her,and if I choose married, then it asks me all these questions about her and I don't even know where she is.We were in Canada, but its been 2 years, I have no idea now.

I didn't give the definition of separated the CIC website did, they said.... "Separated means that two people are married but no longer living together, and they do not wish to live together again. They may be waiting for a divorce or have not yet decided to divorce."

as I said before there is an option, legally separated and divorce, and legally separated fits best because we are married but no longer living together, and they do not wish to live together again, but on the PR form is asks, how did the relationship end.
As mentioned in the earlier post you have to select one of the four options?

And if I am correct the question is how did the relationship end, it doesn't ask are u divorced.

If I were you I would select divorce and explain it in LOE as you won't be able to leave that blank

CBTSHARE

Star Member
Mar 6, 2016
Ok, thank you @ futurecanadiannew123456

@Pippin

No, I chose, legally separated on my EE, which is are the options it gave, and the one which best applied to my situation.