+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage Procedure in Canada

EmmaRaj01

Mar 23, 2019
My boyfriend is a Canadian and I'm a Malaysian. We are both in love for 2 years and we are planning to get married this year. He usually come and meet me in Malaysia.... My love is not accepted by my family... So we plan to get married in Canada. However, at this moment both of us are too busy with our studies (mine post graduate, his degree). What is the options for our wedding/marriage arrangement ?
How do I get my spouse visa application?
I could not register my marriage in Malaysia due to some personal issue....
Do I have any ways for me to do my marriage in Canada and settle down there in Canada....

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My boyfriend is a Canadian and I'm a Malaysian. We are both in love for 2 years and we are planning to get married this year. He usually come and meet me in Malaysia.... My love is not accepted by my family... So we plan to get married in Canada. However, at this moment both of us are too busy with our studies (mine post graduate, his degree). What is the options for our wedding/marriage arrangement ?
How do I get my spouse visa application?
I could not register my marriage in Malaysia due to some personal issue....
Do I have any ways for me to do my marriage in Canada and settle down there in Canada....
If you want to get married in Canada, you'll need to obtain a TRV (tourist visa) to come here. Your chances of getting an approved TRV are likely quite low based on your age, assets, etc. If you want to try to apply, you will want to demonstrate very strong ties to your home country and request a short trip (2-3 week at most). You'll also need to show that you have sufficient funds to pay for your trip.

It's probably more realistic for you and your boyfriend to either get married in Malaysia or a neighbouring country like Indonesia.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Just to add a few points

1. The marriage, wherever you do it, must be valid under the laws of the country where it happens, as well as the laws of Canada. In practice, this usually means that you will need a marriage certificate from a competent authority. A civil ceremony before a judge should do.

This probably isn't relevant to you, but there are traditional wedding practices in many cultures that may be valid in that country, but may not be valid in Canada. Conversely, same-sex marriages are legal in Canada, but illegal in many countries.

2. A proxy marriage/internet marriage/telephonic marriage (where you get married with either you, or your boyfriend, or both of you not being present in person) will not be accepted by Canada as a valid marriage. Some states in the US and other countries do accept this, but Canada specifically does not.

cadgijoe

May 1, 2018
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
03-08-2018
AOR Received.
03-08-2018
Med's Done....
23-07-2018
Passport Req..
18-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2019
LANDED..........
21-05-2019
Do you even need parents' approval to register your marriage in Malaysia (I'm talking about registration under the law, not celebration/party)?
If you run away for a few weeks to Canada for marriage registration there, you still have to go back to Malaysia at some point and so how will you explain to your family?