+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage of conveniance with a PR

moegd55

Aug 12, 2020
Long story short, I got married to someone who has been living in quebec for a couple of years now (6-7). I'v known her for less than a year and we got married. According to her , she is a permenent resident and i beleived it since shes been studying and working in quebec. A few months into the marriage, she decided to break it off and now I'm filing for divorce. I have every reason to beleive that this relationship was based on bad faith and wanted to benefit from either getting her citizenship faster or to qualify for PR. I can proove that the marriage was unauthentic from the duration of the marriage, gap in income and education , personal interests and financial gain. She refused to do a wedding ceremony or share any resposibilities or have her name on any official documents. She also refused to move out and stayed at her parents house since the day we got married. We were basiccaly "seperated' since we got married. I took on all the risk and financial burden and she is basically walking out hands clean. I played tricked and lied to into this relationship.

Can i file for marriage fraud and am i exposing my self to any risks?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Long story short, I got married to someone who has been living in quebec for a couple of years now (6-7). I'v known her for less than a year and we got married. According to her , she is a permenent resident and i beleived it since shes been studying and working in quebec. A few months into the marriage, she decided to break it off and now I'm filing for divorce. I have every reason to beleive that this relationship was based on bad faith and wanted to benefit from either getting her citizenship faster or to qualify for PR. I can proove that the marriage was unauthentic from the duration of the marriage, gap in income and education , personal interests and financial gain. She refused to do a wedding ceremony or share any resposibilities or have her name on any official documents. She also refused to move out and stayed at her parents house since the day we got married. We were basiccaly "seperated' since we got married. I took on all the risk and financial burden and she is basically walking out hands clean. I played tricked and lied to into this relationship.

Was she already a permanent resident when you married?

If not, did you sponsor her for permanent residency as your spouse after you married?

It sounds like she was already a PR at the time you married or obtained PR on her own without you sponsoring her. If so, there's no marriage fraud from an immigration perspecive. Marriage to a Canadian doesn't speed up citizenship or automatically qualify someone for PR.

If you didn't sponsor her for PR through spousal sponsorship, there's nothing to report.

moegd55

Aug 12, 2020
Was she already a permanent resident when you married?

If not, did you sponsor her for permanent residency as your spouse after you married?

It sounds like she was already a PR at the time you married or obtained PR on her own without you sponsoring her. If so, there's no marriage fraud from an immigration perspecive. Marriage to a Canadian doesn't speed up citizenship or automatically qualify someone for PR.

If you didn't sponsor her for PR through spousal sponsorship, there's nothing to report.
Thats what she said. She was applying for PR when we got married but I NEVER sponsored anything or signed anything to that regard. She is still living at her family home.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thats what she said. She was applying for PR when we got married but I NEVER sponsored anything or signed anything to that regard. She is still living at her family home.
In that case there's been no marriage fraud from an immigration perspective and there's nothing for you to report. Being married to you in no way benefits her in applying for PR on her own.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In that case there's been no marriage fraud from an immigration perspective and there's nothing for you to report. Being married to you in no way benefits her in applying for PR on her own.
I guess I would specify it.

We assume that there was no fraud when it comes to marriage of convenience in order to get permanent residency.
However that does not mean that there was not fraudulent intention at all. That would be when ti comes to gain access to your money and request to support her after divorce.

Additionally also heavily unlikely she might have attempted to falsify your signature and still apply for PR (also by now you would know as you would be already contacted regarding such application).

So with that being said this is a case for marriage law at best (when it comes to divorce and support).

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
For you to be involved in a spousal sponsorship marriage fraud case, she would either need to have fraudulently signed a fair bit of paperwork and collect a fair number of your personal documents and submit them to IRCC or you would have had to do that.

Without you having any indication of paperwork like that being submitted to IRCC, there isn't likely fraud ongoing, aside from the dissolution of the marriage. I would certainly make sure you had a lawyer and that you raised this as an issue, and your lawyer could certainly contact IRCC.

She cannot get citizenship faster by being married to a Canadian, even fraudulently.

Cassiano

Dec 4, 2017

JUST DIVORCE
you should have known her better before you got married.
you did not sign anything, so close that book