+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

marriage licences

yre37768

Jan 21, 2009
could anyone who has been in this situation shed some light for me, I am australian and have been divorced for 6 years and I will be getting married in ontario at the end of the year, I understand all the procedures and proof and paperwork that is needed to get a marriage licence in ontario like getting permission from the registrar general and stuff, but once all my paperwork is sent off does it take long for permission to come through to be allowed to obtain our marriage licence, someone on here said 6 months plus, and Im finding that a bit hard to believe, has anyone been in this situation and if so how long did it take for you.

HBeach78

Star Member
Jan 14, 2008
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-07-2009
Med's Done....
15/05/2009
Passport Req..
12/11/2009
VISA ISSUED...
18/11/2009
LANDED..........
29/11/2009
My husband and I went through the same thing a few months ago.... Not exactly the same but similar....

Anyway, We drove up to Ontario last October with the intention of getting married while his folks were in town on their vacation, as he wanted his parents to witness the ceremony.

We get up there, called about getting a marriage license and found out that since I was divorced OUTSIDE of Canada, there was a separate form for that and it had to be filled out and signed including a signature from my ex-husband.... That form was to be mailed to the ministry and could take up to 6-8 weeks to process.

Long story short... after feeling greatly disappointed and not being able to take advantage of the honeymoon suite his parents booked for us.... We drove back down to the US and had no issues getting married here... and his parents drove down as well...

No additional paperwork.. no blood tests.. no signature from the ex husband.. no waiting 6-8 weeks...

I understand your frustration and wish you the Best!!
Good Luck!

yre37768

Jan 21, 2009
Thanks for the reply, I'm glad it turned out ok for you, but on the site it doesn't state anything about exes signing the paperwork it just states the applicants wanting to get married, and what happens if you do not know where your ex is anymore or you are not on good terms?

HBeach78

Star Member
Jan 14, 2008
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-07-2009
Med's Done....
15/05/2009
Passport Req..
12/11/2009
VISA ISSUED...
18/11/2009
LANDED..........
29/11/2009
Yeah I know... Before we drove up there I even called twice and got an automated message and went through the prompts to find no new info... My husband called and was able to speak with a person who never mentioned anything about that separate form having to be filled out and signed by the ex and the waiting period...

But for us that paperwork could only be mailed in, not faxed, or taken there in person as we were only 30 mins from that office...and we were told that it could take 6-8 weeks to process before we could apply for the marriage license... If I'm not mistaken I believe that form is printable online... we were able to use the computer at the hotel we were staying at to get all of this info.

If you are in the position where you are unsure where your former spouse is.. I would call the ministry them self and speak with someone... Let them know your situation and let them give you your options... I've come to find out that although the online info is good... there are things that are not said.

I even brought up my divorce decree as proof that I was legally divorced, and that didn't matter... I guess this is their way to investigate when really a divorce decree should be enough and they could rightfully make a phone call to verify... But who am I to say how things could be done :p

I was more upset that I was asked to track down my ex husband and get his "permission"....

Again I wish you the best!!

P.C.

Mar 20, 2009
You have to get the marriage package for someone divorced outside Canada, as you know.
You also have to pay an Ontario lawyer for an opinion letter stating that
you may legally marry in Ontario.

Then, you send all this nonsense off to the registrar and wait about 2 months.

....then you can get a marriage license (same day)...and then you can get married.

....then, you have to wait 8-10 weeks to get the marriage certificate back to
include in the immigration application.

yre37768

Jan 21, 2009
Im still confused as where it is my ex husband is meant to sign, I have all the forms I need infront of me, marriage licence application- no mention on there for ex husband to sign, statement of sole responibility form- no mention anywhere for my ex husband to sign, then I have my original divorce papers, and then a opinioned letter from a lawyer that is all they are asking for to be sent in and not anywhere does it state anything about ex spouses to sign anywhere

HBeach78

Star Member
Jan 14, 2008
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-07-2009
Med's Done....
15/05/2009
Passport Req..
12/11/2009
VISA ISSUED...
18/11/2009
LANDED..........
29/11/2009
Yes, that's the form... the Sole Responsibility Form...... Although it doesn't say "EX wife/ EX husband" I think it reads spouse if I recall correctly. I had that printed up as well and didn't understand why we needed it... until after we were told that due to my divorce outside of Canada, the spouse portion was for the EX to sign off on.

We thought that that form was for us, as a way of letting my "spouse to be" know that I was previously married.

As I said earlier, it's a form that the ex-spouse has to sign... Believe me , I was not a happy camper after hearing that... I felt that since I was divorced almost 1 year, why do I have to track him down and ask him to sign off on such a thing... Just made no sense to me at all.... I could understand IF I were still married and was trying to marry again... but the divorce decree proves that... well it should be enough to prove that. But again.. who am I to say :p

P.C.

Mar 20, 2009
HBeach78 said:
Yes, that's the form... the Sole Responsibility Form...... Although it doesn't say "EX wife/ EX husband" I think it reads spouse if I recall correctly. I had that printed up as well and didn't understand why we needed it... until after we were told that due to my divorce outside of Canada, the spouse portion was for the EX to sign off on.

We thought that that form was for us, as a way of letting my "spouse to be" know that I was previously married.

As I said earlier, it's a form that the ex-spouse has to sign... Believe me , I was not a happy camper after hearing that... I felt that since I was divorced almost 1 year, why do I have to track him down and ask him to sign off on such a thing... Just made no sense to me at all.... I could understand IF I were still married and was trying to marry again... but the divorce decree proves that... well it should be enough to prove that. But again.. who am I to say :p
The EX does NOT need to sign that form.
There isn't anywhere for them to sign it.
The only signatories are the applicants to marriage and a witness to the signatures.
You do have to write the spouse of the divorce's name. (Hint: it's the one on the divorce decree) ;)
The government is just covering their ass in case the divorce was not legal.

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
Just to let you know that she doesn't have to hold on on the application until marriage certificate received. She can send Record of marriage and notify them in writing that she still didn't receive it. I called cpc and told me they can accept Record but with written notification explaining the reason why it wasn't sent.

HBeach78

Star Member
Jan 14, 2008
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-07-2009
Med's Done....
15/05/2009
Passport Req..
12/11/2009
VISA ISSUED...
18/11/2009
LANDED..........
29/11/2009
P.C. said:
HBeach78 said:

The only signatories are the applicants to marriage and a witness to the signatures.
You do have to write the spouse of the divorce's name. (Hint: it's the one on the divorce decree) ;)

The info I shared came right from the ministry... But then again it wouldn't be the first time I was misinformed... Seems to be happeneing a lot lately... The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing....

That's why I suggest that you call the ministry yourself.. get the facts straight from them as they are requesting the paperwork....

Again Good Luck

P.C.

Mar 20, 2009
HBeach78 said:
P.C. said:
HBeach78 said:

The info I shared came right from the ministry... But then again it wouldn't be the first time I was misinformed... Seems to be happeneing a lot lately... The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing....

That's why I suggest that you call the ministry yourself.. get the facts straight from them as they are requesting the paperwork....

Again Good Luck
It would be ridiculous to ask an ex partner to sign. They may be in jail, in another country, there may be a restraining order...

Here is the form: http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/AttachDocsPublish/007-11025E~1/$File/11025E.pdf
It says "signature" in three places.
I don't mean to be rude, but it is straight forward if your first language is English.

Secondly, as I stated above, my wife and I just did this.
You don't need your ex's signature.

yre37768

Jan 21, 2009
lol no your not being rude, I have the form in front of me now, sometimes its hard to know whats right and wrong sometimes when your told 2 different things