+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage in US or Canada.. does it matter?

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
I'm asking because we're doing the elopement/city hall thing anyway so it doesn't matter that much to us, but if we get married in the US, in my state I won't have to wait as long to get the certified copy of the marriage license, which is what is required to send with the PR application. If I can send in my application earlier, it's definently worth it to get married in the US, but does it make the process slower or more complicated if we are married in the US? It doesn't seem to matter from what I've read on the cic website, but has anyone experienced anything different? Thanks :)

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Many people get married, and let CIC know that the marriage certificate will be sent when it is available.

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
Is that ok? I had been told that you have to wait several weeks for the offical certificate to be sent from Thunder Bay if you get married in Canada.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Like I said, many people submit after they are married, but before they get the certificate.
It can take a while to get the certificate in Ontario, but I hear that if you apply online it can be quicker.

phillyax

Feb 19, 2010
I would like to know the answer to this question also as I am in the same situation. Does it matter if we get married in the States or in Canada? Will the processing times be the same either way? Thank you.

Miryam

Star Member
Dec 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo, Brazil
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
November/2009
sbwv09 said:
I'm asking because we're doing the elopement/city hall thing anyway so it doesn't matter that much to us, but if we get married in the US, in my state I won't have to wait as long to get the certified copy of the marriage license, which is what is required to send with the PR application. If I can send in my application earlier, it's definently worth it to get married in the US, but does it make the process slower or more complicated if we are married in the US? It doesn't seem to matter from what I've read on the cic website, but has anyone experienced anything different? Thanks :)
It doesn't matter if you get married in US, Canada, or another country, as long as the marriage is valid.

We got married in the US.

bflava

Star Member
Feb 2, 2010
i got married on 29/09/09 n got my marriage cert on the 02/11/09 i wanted t wait and sent everything as i sent my application on 21/12/09 and got approve in 3 weeks time..

if u want to quick, then US is better as it takes a few days i the US i guess.

good luck