+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage in Canada while still on Student Visa! January 3, 2012

(INDIAN)

Champion Member
May 16, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dos and Don'ts to plan your marriage as an immigrant on student visa in Canada.

There is no doubt that you, like many other students, must have entered Canada with a student visa and while you were smoothly sailing towards that desired degree or diploma, you met the love of your life in whom you see a dream life partner. This might be an altogether strange state of affairs for you and if this looks a likely situation in your case, you must know about the proceedings in case of marriage in Canada while you are here on a student visa. Considering this situation, you must know that you will have to seek a marriage visa for the purpose.

It will get easier for you particularly if your student visa is going to expire, but if it is not so, you will have to wait longer for the marriage visa. In either of the cases, the most sought after thing for you should be to gather ample evidence to foretell your meeting with this love prospect and how things proceeded during past two years. You will have to collect every piece of material that suffices your case to that prospective marriage. This comprise of every bit of document such as the first mail correspondence or personal interaction that led to series of dates with him or her, how the intimacy developed, mutual photographs or such snaps that include family members from one or both sides, phone/hotel bills, etc.

Visa formalities about Canada are largely identical to what they are US. For getting your marriage visa application processed in Canada, you must have certificate of a sound financial situation as it is one of the most desired documents for immigration aspirants or those already living in Canada. This is done only to confirm that you are financially capable to manage a living in Canada after marriage and will not be reliant on or would seek any government aid. Other documents in support for marriage visa formalities are proof of your citizenship and a confirmation of you being unmarried.

Just in case, the waiting period before your student visa tenure completes and marriage visa is yet to arrive, the time in between can be well utilized to plan out the marriage necessities. In fact, these too add up to strengthen your case. From finalizing marriage hall to preparing list of invitees and from buying ornaments to deciding a honeymoon destination, you can start pushing things early. However, you cannot finalize the marriage date because this aspect relies upon how the marriage visa formalities go on and the officials at Canada immigration prioritize your marriage visa.

Looking to the overall feel about Canada immigration services and the number of visa applications received every year, it is much evident that many individuals around the globe are desirous for immigration here. If you are already in Canada with a student visa and looking forward to getting married, you can be optimistic for getting a timely marriage visa and then get the wedding bells ring soon after – provided if you qualify!

canada.insurance

Jan 3, 2012
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

About 48.5% of the adult population in Canada was married in 2010 (as opposed to single, separated, divorced, widowed or living in common law). This is the first known time in Canadian history that the percentage was under half; according to CanWest News Service, the figure was 50.1% in 2001 and more than 60% during the 1980s.

The number of marriages in the country was 149,236 in 2010 -- down nearly 2,000 from the previous year, but up from 148,585 in 2004.

In 2010, there were 1,629,490 divorced Canadians -- or about 5% of the population. 941,306 (well over half) of the divorcees were female.

As of 2010, there were 1,414,060 single-parent families in Canada -- or approximately 15.9% of all families. Of the lone-parent families, 1,132,290 were headed by the mother. In 1971, the number was approximately 476,300.

Mesha

Star Member
Jun 26, 2011
(INDIAN)

It was a very informative post.
i really needed info about getting married over there.

my fiance (he) is in toronto for 1 year study permit.
i (she)am going there on study permit soon. and we have plan to marry there.

can you clear my few doubts?
1. what docs would be required for getting married?
2. we have our engagement photos.
OBSTACLE: after our engagement my in-laws and my parents had dispute regarding some rituals and in-laws have denied to continue the relation. how ever i and my fiance are still together and i have full support from my parents but not from his parents.
does it make any difference to procedure of getting married?
3. me and my fiance are highly qualified here in india
both have done masters in electronics and communication engineering.
would it give pace to become eligible for PR?

Many Thanks.............

(INDIAN)

Champion Member
May 16, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mesha said:
(INDIAN)

OBSTACLE: after our engagement my in-laws and my parents had dispute regarding some rituals and in-laws have denied to continue the relation. how ever i and my fiance are still together and i have full support from my parents but not from his parents.

Many Thanks.............
you can do one u came back u indian register marriage here then show their
indian

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mesha said:
(INDIAN)

Many Thanks.............
Hi,

1. Since you both are not a PR/Citizen of Canada, your marriage in Canada will NOT make any difference toward PR; at the most one of you can drop studies and apply for an 'Open Work Permit' based on spouse study permit.

Reactions: karamsialka

Mesha

Star Member
Jun 26, 2011
thanks enfield and Indian.

my sister-in-law got married to canada PR.

can it be helpful by anyway...?

i have heard that if blood relation is PR.

he/she can sponser only after a year...

is it ????

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mesha said:
thanks enfield and Indian.

my sister-in-law got married to canada PR.

can it be helpful by anyway...?

i have heard that if blood relation is PR.

he/she can sponser only after a year...

is it ????
Hi,

She can ONLY IF it's proved;

1. That she is a PR of Canada (NOT just spouse of a Canadian PR).
2. That she do not have a living spouse, a son/daughter, parent/grandparent, sibling, uncle/aunt, nephew/niece who could be sponsored in your place.
3. That she do not have any relative who is citizen/PR of Canada.

karamsialka

Jul 27, 2016
Hi,

1. Since you both are not a PR/Citizen of Canada, your marriage in Canada will NOT make any difference toward PR; at the most one of you can drop studies and apply for an 'Open Work Permit' based on spouse study permit.
hello sir ,
i have same question,my spouse want to come in canada by taking study visa and after coming to canada
if she want to drop the study and want to marry with me , is this possible ?
will she get the work visa ?
will the college return the fee which she paid to college ?

Padangat

Apr 1, 2018
Hi,
I just don’t know what to do my bf had a student visa gonna expires next month and I had working permits visa here in Canada..if I marry him what will gonna happened?if I marry him is he gonna stay?

Hinalhp

May 22, 2018
Hi,

I already engaged in India on April 20th, 2018 and at the same time my study permit visa approved so I came to the Canada.

Now my fiance is on PR status so, can we get married now?
So that my study permit will get convert in work permit?
And does getting married here impact on my PR process?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello guys, Please a very urgent and important question if any of you guys can help me on this!!!

I m here on study permit and I I came on Jan 2018.
I took summer 2018 off and winter 2019 semester off ( because I got married in April, last month).
Now I dont want to study right now and continue my studies after I become PR to save money on fees.

Can you suggest what can be done.

My study permit expires on November 30 2019 ( in 6 months) And my wife is applying for my Spousal PR application and I heard I can apply for an OPW as well. If I apply how long will I get the OPW for ?

And Iknow PR applications take time. Shall I extend my study permit so I have an status and they will extend me another year since I have two more semesters left. and then apply for OPW . OPW takes about 4-5 months right ?

What are the ways or suggestions I can take and should do at this point please advise. @canuck_in_uk @scylla , all the expert members please anyone can help me! Thanks!
Don't double post. See your other post.