+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage Fraud is not allowed under Canada's immigration law! Or is it?

frolic

Jul 21, 2008
and then victimizing the Canadian citizens by supporting those criminals with tax payers' income.
Well not really my tax payers income...more specifically yours since you signed the agreement.

I would much rather my tax money go towards chasing real criminals and illegals and deporting them than concentrate on family matters.

Aug 17, 2008
Dear Frolic,

There are many free services such as social services and health care and subsidized services such as education and transportation that every tax payer pays for them. The only cost incur to me is the living expenses paid by welfare to my fraudulent wife only if she can prove that her marriage has been genuine (which is obviously not happening as in Abdullah's case).

My family and I spent a lot of time, thousands of dollars on travel and arrangements and a great deal of effort to get my wife into Canada. The Canadian system and law has demoralized not only me but every single person in my family. We are experiencing a depression and sickness as a result of this. We will be quitting our jobs if not fired as a result of our deep depression, and apply for social assistance (welfare). Who is now paying for all of us? You and the rest of tax payers who do not care and do not question the government with its unjust law.

Aug 17, 2008
Dear Lois Lane,

Marriage is sacred. Other countries and cultures value family, marriage commitment and the statement below:

“I shall take you to be my wife/husband, to have and behold from this day on, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; until death do us part.”

In Canada, you basically lie in all the parts. In Canada you can walk away from your marriage commitment anytime you fill to do so.

In other countries you can't unless the court decides.

In my case and Abdulla's case, my fraudulent wife and the fraudulent wife of Abdullah walked away from their marriage commitment as they wished to do so.

Those spouses who walk away are not the main guilty people. It is the law of Canada that encourages them to do so!

With all respect and apology to all animals, if Canada's law doesn't change, the population of dogs in Canada will be greater than the population of human beings (if it is not greater now).

Lois Lane

May 14, 2008
(close to Toronto) Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat, Morocco
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10 2007
Dear Sir

Canada too, values family, marriage commitment and the the vows you have quoated above.  I highly doubt those are the same vows you used for what you believed was a sacred marriage!

In Canada husband or wife are thankfully free to leave a marriage at any point.   Being married, (and in so being one would assume an adult), each of us are free to make that choice for individual reasons.  It is not up to the government to legislate commitment to a spouse.  I suspect that women in Iran are less likely to leave the marriage for reasons which are too numerous to go through. 

In most cases the vows you quoated are not "lies" as you say.  Let me say this, YOU NEVER DIVORCE THE PERSON YOU MARRY.

I for one am proud and greatful to live in a country where I am free to make my own decisions without fear!

As to the "dog" comment....that is just way too out there and certainly not very Canadian like so I will so no more.

Wishing you the best of luck

travel_fan

Star Member
May 7, 2007
Canadian Marriage Fraud NPO;

I have sponsored my husband and we are now happily living together in Canada - so I am familiar with the commitment I've made to sponsor him as well as the decision I made to trust him and his intentions (as he did me). Luckily I was right - he is the man I thought he was. Some of us have not been as fortunate. It's a risk we all take.

I do think there is an argument to be made that there needs to be some recourse or consequences for fraudulent sponsorship cases. An individual is acting in an dishonourable way and their actions could be considered illegal or have legal implications. I think that having consequences for actions such as this is an important message to send to anyone who has intentions to enter our country in a less than honourable way. People do get taken advantage of and they need a means to defend themselves. These are the rights we have a citizens of this country. What the solution is, I am not sure - but I do think it's a legitimate issue.

Having said this - there is a tone to your emails (Canada Marriage Fraud) that the government is responsible for the situation you are in. You may not intend this to be the case - however it does come across that way. There is also a certain amount of personable responsibility we have to take in any circumstances, no matter how unfair they may be.

LCS

May 5, 2005
Canadian Marriage Fraud NPO,
I feel terribly for the situation you are now in. Of course it is not right that this person was able to scam you. Unfortunately, sometimes we spend all our time nurturing the relationship and believing there has been a connection made. That person has made it seem they have no other motive and has said and done all the right things. Then we are put in the position of having to PROVE to Immigration the validity of the relationship. You had to send all that information to them and made THEM believe it was real also. Then they accept that proof of the relationship, you have convinced them.
It should really not be surprising that when you find out she ran off shortly after arriving that their stand would be "but YOU gave your proof to US that your relationship was real". It's not really their problem to reverse their decision after YOU provided all the data to convince Immigration that the relationship was real and took on the burden of sponsorship, including that clause that stated you were responsible for 3 years.

Having said that, I also WOULD like to see a law that would be able to deport people who ran off from their sponsor within a certain time, with evidence that it was desertion and not just an early breakdown in the relationship or due to abuse. But seeing how terribly slow and deficient the whole system is in the first place, I highly doubt that a law like this could be put into place by a Government that hasn't got a clue.
Just remember to take the high road, it wasn't you who did anything wrong. In time you might be able to forget and move on, but you can always hold your head high knowing you are not the deceiving slimeball who did this to someone else.
take care.

rgvinson777

Dec 12, 2007
Go to the Canadian government for justice. What will they do. So, you and some lawyer accuse your wife of defrauding Canada. Where is the fraud? Did she misrepresent herself to canada or did she misrepresent herself to you? Ok, lets say that she defrauded Canada and you. So, the court goes after her.
First question.. Do you love your husband?

Answer; Yes (she fabricates) but he started beating me shortly after I arrived in Canada so I had to leave for my own safety and I can never go back to him for fear of being killed.

Second question from the Court; Did you (speaking to your wife) misrepresent yourself on your application for immigration to Canada?

Answer: No. I did not.

Next question: The court asks itself, do we want to spend 5 or 10 thousand dollars as well as days and weeks and possibly even months to research this immigrants background in more detail?

Answer. No way!

The way they see it is that they have done their job in screening the applicant for PR and you have not done yours. Either that or you beat your wife. Believing the latter doesn't cost them a dime.

They have things wired in their best interest. Governments pass laws to protect the people as best as possible but their first consideration as they are passing those laws is "How is the government of Canada protected." Governments always put the risk elsewhere. In this case, on the sponsor. I'm truly sorry for you man but you lose this time. I feel you.

frolic

Jul 21, 2008
She is a legally landed immigrant now and has a right to health care and education and transportation, as a Canadian citizen who pays taxes I have no problem with that.

YOU met this woman, YOU decided to marry her, YOU agreed to sponsor her, YOU even gave proof that your relationship was real to the government.  YOU spent a lot of time, thousands of dollars and a great deal of effort to convince the government to let her come here.  YOU did all these things to yourself. 

You like to quote the website but skip the parts where they remind YOU of your own personal responsibility...
Given the legal obligations, sponsorship should not be taken lightly, and everyone is responsible for ensuring that their marriage is genuine.

You didn't do your duty with respect to this it seems. 

Also when preparing for an overseas marriage you probably had to read the department of external affairs website as well...

Q: Should I be concerned about marital crime or fraud abroad? What should I do if I am the victim of such an offence?

A: Growing numbers of Canadian citizens are caught up in marriage-related crime or fraud overseas. Their cases include, among others, extortion by foreign in-laws, scams involving cyber-romance, and being duped into sponsoring a spouse who bolts upon arrival in Canada. In such situations, you will need to hire a lawyer with expertise in matrimonial law. The Government of Canada has no jurisdiction in private legal matters and cannot influence legal proceedings in a foreign country. However, officials at the nearest Canadian government office can provide a list of legal representatives in the country concerned.
If you had married a woman from Canada and she left it would be the same answer as well, a private matter for the divorce courts. 

So now instead of accepting responsibility for your actions you are looking to the government to help.  Help you fix the situation, or even get some sort of revenge for being duped. 

While it is unfortunate and I would not wish it happening to anyone and I think your ex is truly a disgusting human being, you can't expect much sympathy in a forum that is mostly about helping people sponsor their own spouses to come to Canada.  Everyone here is stuck in the middle of the application process that already has many hoops to jump through just to succeed and your inititive may just make things even more difficult in the future. 

You are just on a destructive course of action that has little or no chance to succeed (Trying to change the government when they have already warned you) and is probably not helping your depression and really does not help you.  You might want to reconsider your goals.  Maybe warning people in a similar situation might be something more positive even. 

ejd28

Aug 26, 2008
Canada Marriage Fraud NPO said:
Thanks for your comments, Lois Lane, BCguy and rgvinson777.

To Lois Lane: I have provided the information regarding her true intention of marriage to Canada Immigration and Citizenship as well as Canada Border Services Agency. I will provide more information about her on the web if necessary.

To All: You have not answered my questions:

1) Is the marriage fraud allowed under Canada's immigration law?

2) Is it allowed before or after sponsorship?

3) The response I received from Border Services Agency confirms the answer “YES” or “NO” to this question?

4) Should the person committing marriage fraud be deported from Canada?

5) Let us now assume that the person I sponsored has truly committed marriage fraud. I have been told that I am on the list, as well as many others who have been victimized by the Canadian law, and the anticipated wait time is about two years. Who is paying for her during this period? Should the tax payers of Canada be penalized for a fraudulent person, who deceived me and the Canadian government, wishing to enjoy free services such as healthcare, English classes, welfare (social assistance)?

6) If your answer is that I should be victimized, why the Canadian government has a law to victimize me (i.e. a Canadian citizen and tax payer) not the fraudulent person?

I appreciate your answers.
It is not legal to immigrate to Canada based on a fraudulent marriage, however, the reason so many genuine couples are forced apart for years is because the onus is on the couple to prove that it is a genuine relationship for this EXACT reason. As your wife was allowed to become a permanent resident, you obviously proved this sufficiently enough. It is unfortunate that you got taken advantage of, but thats a risk in any relationship. There is a large percentage of people, I'm sure, going through the immigration process that either met online or on vacation, etc, and have spent all of 6 weeks with their spouse in however many years they've been together. I'd also bet their is a decent percentage that realize once they are actually living together that its just not as good (hope no one takes offense to this, just saying that even when you've spent every second of your relationship together its possible to not be prepared to live together. Distance makes the heart grow fonder type of thing lol) as it was when they were apart. What is to stop those people that go through the process with the best of intentions, who realize later that the relationship isn't what either thought it was, from claiming fraud so that they don't have to take responsibility for the spouse they sponsored?

People like you are, unfortunately, responsible for the commitment you made to a spouse that used you. Just as there are genuine couples who are stuck in limbo for years because of people like your spouse. Its an unfortunate reality, but it is a reality.

I really am sorry for what happened to you though, even if I sound kind of harsh. I have real respect for the love people must feel to go through this horrible process for people they haven't spent much face to face time with (I don't know if thats your case, but still). Heck, my hubby's been in Canada for 18 years (I sponsored him), we've been together 9, lived together 7, and have a 5 year old daughter (and we are still young, 25 and 30) and sometimes I still didn't know how I was going to get through it. If you can give that much love to someone who turned out to so clearly not deserve it, the person you find who does is going to be very very lucky.

ejd28

Aug 26, 2008
Dear Lois Lane,

Marriage is sacred. Other countries and cultures value family, marriage commitment and the statement below:

“I shall take you to be my wife/husband, to have and behold from this day on, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; until death do us part.”

In Canada, you basically lie in all the parts. In Canada you can walk away from your marriage commitment anytime you fill to do so.

In other countries you can't unless the court decides.

In my case and Abdulla's case, my fraudulent wife and the fraudulent wife of Abdullah walked away from their marriage commitment as they wished to do so.

Those spouses who walk away are not the main guilty people. It is the law of Canada that encourages them to do so!

With all respect and apology to all animals, if Canada's law doesn't change, the population of dogs in Canada will be greater than the population of human beings (if it is not greater now).
Are you mad because the government won't revoke your sponsorship and her permanent residency, or are you mad because they won't make her stay with you? Because your first post is what you can do about her using you, while this one is about how the government is letting her walk out of her committment to you. I can understand your hurt, but to criticize Canada for allowing their citizens freedom of choice, is ridiculous. The government didn't force you to marry her. They weren't responsible for her using you nor for your providing the necessary evidence to prove you were in a genuine relationship. You got taken advantage of, and for that I'm sorry. However, I highly doubt you'd be criticizing Canada's divorce laws if you had married another Canadian and found out she was cheating on you. Or she was emotionally abusing you, or you weren't as compatible as you once though, etc. You talk about other countries having the courts decide whether you can break the oath of marriage? What do you think about the courts forcing someone to stay with a person that physically and/or emotionally abuses them? What do you think of a person being forced to stay with someone that cheats on them constantly?? Because a great many of the countries that prohibit divorce are only prohibiting the rights of women. Many of those same countries allow men to be married to many women, hence no man ever suffers due to that law. But because you got betrayed, you think our country should be the same? Let others suffer so you don't have too?

And no, the dog population will never be greater than the human population, even if the laws never change because, believe it or not, not everyone looks for and/or finds love outside the country. The country isn't going to fall apart because a couple thousand people are taken advantage of by foreign loves just as it won't fall apart because a hundreds of thousands are taken advantage of, in a variety of ways, by domestic ones. Such is life, live and Learn! That is a RIGHT that Canada, unlike some of the countries you listed, allows us. The suppression of ones choice to move on from an unhappy life doesn't make for any happier of a person.

Anatolia

Star Member
Aug 1, 2008
Hello there.

I have just been to the website Stop Marriage Fraud and the stories represented there are of people that either married other people without barely knowing them ( within a month!) or "victimized" men who do not tell exactly a wife would call upon the Canadian Police to help them take their stuff out of their homes... For the most part...

Bizarre.

I am sure that there are true Fraudulent people, true sociopaths who lie and lie through their teeth for years, who are sweet and caring for a while then they leave you when they are in Canada..... but really...YOU PROVE YOUR LOVE WITH ACTIONS AFTER ACTIONS, not with WORDS only...

As a Sponsor, I can say that I AM RESPONSIBLE to see and REQUEST and DEMAND real love of my husband not The Canadian Government.

Aug 17, 2008
Nobody is demaning love from the Government, nor any court will favour the abuser.

In Canada, the person who is with you at this minute, can walk away with another person in the next minute, possibly with more than half of your asset.

That is why my fraudulent wife, left me in the first month arriving in Canada, getting support from Services Canada. She is collecting income assistance (welfare).

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In Canada, the person who is with you at this minute, can walk away with another person in the next minute, possibly with more than half of your asset.

That is why my fraudulent wife, left me in the first month arriving in Canada, getting support from Services Canada. She is collecting income assistance (welfare).
And that is why people should take the committment of marriage and sponsorship seriously. You can cover yourself for divorce by getting a pre-nup. Sponsorship you can't really take out insurance for, maybe we will see that in the future.

What would you have Canada do about it though? Stop her from walking away from you? And how?

frolic

Jul 21, 2008

That is not WHY she left you. Canada's laws which give the FREEDOM to seperate or divorce a husband or wife are not the CAUSE of your issue. The cause of your issue is you entered into a relationship of your own free will that ended up not being a real relationship. Grow up and stop blaming Canada for your situation.

Anatolia

Star Member
Aug 1, 2008
As a Canadian Citizen with a husband from another country, I am fully aware that he can decide to leave my home and our marriage anytime. I tell him... Go Ahead Honey!. I Dont OWN him, he can go, I can go. The only reason we are together is because we LOVE and TRUST each other. If I had lots of money to protect, I would have get him to sign a Prenup, but since I have none :) and he has none:) , then we are happy and poor, yet rich in LOVE!

I Don't want Canada to force my Husband to stay with me. LOL. I dont WANT OR NEED that at all. As a matter of fact I want Canada to stay away form my family and my marital bed!

Is it possible this woman was here in Canada for a month (which can be very long if you are unhappy) and thought: " there is no way I can remain married to this man!" Is it possible she felt sad being with you, or the intimacy was not good, or she didn't want to be touched, or she just didn't feel safe... or .. I mean...we don't know her side of the story either. Was this marriage arranged? Is it possible she tried to make it work, but she couldnt stand being in this marriage? I mean It would have ended anyway, within a month or 12 months. When you marry someone, you are not BUYING them....They are not yours Forever. THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES. Nor there Should be either. Just so you know.