+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage Fraud? Can husband accuse me of it?

sms316

Apr 5, 2013
My husband sponsored me. And I became a permanent resident on June 2013.
Luckily my application was received at CIC in May 2012 and not on or after October 25, 2012 which is when the new law began.
So me and my husband have separated. I had no intentions of using him because I didnt leave him as soon as I became a PR, its just that things didnt work out for us. There was love just things fell apart.

What I did hear was that if he wanted to get back at me that he could report that I used him, and that it was marriage fraud. My main concern is if he ever did try that towards me, how could he prove it? I know he is responsible for me for 3 years and I havent used that against him because I mean no harm for him, and if I had used him I would benefit from that and just sit back and wait for him to support me but I am not that type of person, and so I would use that against him ONLY if he said it was marriage fraud. ( i dont think he will do it but I thought to hear some ideas on here in the case that he did try)

So in your opinion what could he use against me?
What should I prepare myself for?
And is this a hard case to win if he did say i used him?

Thanks,

M

mikeymyke

Well he might have a bit of a small case, because he could say you're using him to bring your parents over to Canada. Your parents tried to apply as refugees from a relatively safe country, but were refused. And you're also trying to sponsor them as well, this could show an intent to marry for that reason.

sms316

Apr 5, 2013
Well I see your point.

But I cant sponsor anyone for a period of 5 years. So why would that be my intention?

M

mikeymyke

sms316 said:
Well I see your point.

But I cant sponsor anyone for a period of 5 years. So why would that be my intention?
The 5 yr ban applies only if ur sponsoring another spouse, sponsoring parents doesnt fall under that rule. He could use the fact that your parents tried to come here unsuccessfully in the past (as did you), and now you are trying to bring them to canada by another means.

Some ppl do marriage fraud to bring a new partner some do it to bring their families. Not saying that ur one of them but it could be what he could say

But cic rarely makes much of an effort to investigate pre oct 2012 cases and ur husband would need concrete proof u married to bring ur parents

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
So, help me out here. Your family arrived in and attempted to file a refugee claim in Oct 2011. You married in April 2012 (6 short months after your arrival in Canada). Your husband filed a sponsorship application for you in May 2012. *sidenote* I am curious how the hell you put your application together that quickly since you hadn't even been married yet for barely a month if that, unless of course, you knew you'd be looking to do that once you arrived in Canada 6 months previous to that time. *end sidenote* Your family was asked to leave Canada in Aug 2012. You were asking about sponsoring your parents in April 2013, barely a year into your own marriage and before you had even received your own PR visa. Now here you are not even a year after that stating that you and your spouse have separated and you are concerned that he might try to report you for immigration fraud.

In the mean time, I am assuming you are posting as your mother, or you are both sharing an account as it would appear you are talking about sponsoring them for PR to come to Canada while they are diligently working on attempting to gain a favourable LMO and work permit in this time frame all in April 2013.

If you were the immigration officer looking at your file. And you read the timeline, just like I read the timeline. What would your thoughts be?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I agree with Alurra71.

Keep in mind that just because you don't have conditional PR doesn't mean CIC can't investigate you for marriage fraud.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Condition 51 just means it's more likely you'll be reported/investigated for marriage fraud if your marriage "fails" within two years of your arrival in Canada, the absence of that Condition doesn't mean you're exempt from being investigated.

If you're honest with yourself, you KNOW this looks bad. Less than a year after your marriage and suddenly the great love that brought you together suddenly falls apart? Yes, I wrote "suddenly".

I've been married for 4 years almost, two of them in Canada, and to be quite honest with you my first year in Canada was one of the "worst" in our marriage to date. I found myself more off-balance than I wanted to admit from trying to settle into a new country, and my husband found himself more unwilling than he thought to adjust to someone else living with him when it was his roof that was in question! We argued and cried and struggled, and had to learn to live with each other all over. What was never in question was that we were going to work it out together. To just quit your marriage less than a year after your PR is in because "things didn't work out" and "things fell apart" fairly scream to an onlooker that there were ulterior motives in the first place. Be honest with yourself, and start from there.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
It certainly does look very suspicious. But with CIC's limited resources, I agree with mikeymike and say that the odds that the OP's PR is revoked is low without any real hard evidence that it was a marriage of convenience. I'm surprised that her sponsorship application succeeded with all these red flags.

Obronibini

Jul 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2014 (Received as per tracking 21-03-2013)
AOR Received.
29-04-2014
File Transfer...
30-04-2014
Passport Req..
04-08-2014
Alurra71 said:
So, help me out here. Your family arrived in and attempted to file a refugee claim in Oct 2011. You married in April 2012 (6 short months after your arrival in Canada). Your husband filed a sponsorship application for you in May 2012. *sidenote* I am curious how the hell you put your application together that quickly since you hadn't even been married yet for barely a month if that, unless of course, you knew you'd be looking to do that once you arrived in Canada 6 months previous to that time. *end sidenote* Your family was asked to leave Canada in Aug 2012. You were asking about sponsoring your parents in April 2013, barely a year into your own marriage and before you had even received your own PR visa. Now here you are not even a year after that stating that you and your spouse have separated and you are concerned that he might try to report you for immigration fraud.

In the mean time, I am assuming you are posting as your mother, or you are both sharing an account as it would appear you are talking about sponsoring them for PR to come to Canada while they are diligently working on attempting to gain a favourable LMO and work permit in this time frame all in April 2013.

If you were the immigration officer looking at your file. And you read the timeline, just like I read the timeline. What would your thoughts be?
I wanted to "like" this but I came into reality this isn't Facebook ! :)

sms316

Apr 5, 2013
I know this all seems like I had it planned but with all honesty I didnt.

I had a rough marriage. somethings didnt click in and I only saw that after we got married.
I would have never used someone for that reason. No one will believe me but I know i am telling the truth.

I know it is a hard case to investigate and get proof for but I wanted to ask for opinions.

Thanks

Obronibini

Jul 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
29-04-2014
File Transfer...
30-04-2014
Passport Req..
04-08-2014
sms316 said:
Right..

With all honesty I never even thought of that.
But I see your view.

Thanks
lol

Obronibini

Jul 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
29-04-2014
File Transfer...
30-04-2014
Passport Req..
04-08-2014
sms316 said:
I know this all seems like I had it planned but with all honesty I didnt.

I had a rough marriage. somethings didnt click in and I only saw that after we got married.
I would have never used someone for that reason. No one will believe me but I know i am telling the truth.

I know it is a hard case to investigate and get proof for but I wanted to ask for opinions.

Thanks
have you considered going back to your home country ? Since the marriage didn't work out, ? It under a year .

Obronibini

Jul 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
29-04-2014
File Transfer...
30-04-2014
Passport Req..
04-08-2014
sms316 said:
I have thought about it.
But I dont know what to do yet.
you came because of the marriage so I think it good to go back if it didn't work out , home is home, maybe you shouldn't get your parent to Canada anymore then , what's the point ? The marriage didn't work , unless there's more reason to stay in Canada . Am wondering what wasn't right and how come things that aren't right seem to pop up after marriage and pr , only God knows