+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage failing, my options as sponsor?

mcbeth

Star Member
Aug 30, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Moscow------>Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26/02/14
Doc's Request.
23/02/15
File Transfer...
27/02/14
Med's Request
re-do requested 25/02/15
Med's Done....
28/02/15 re-do
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
24/03/2015
LANDED..........
19-06-2015
My wife and step son have been here for 8 months and while I have a good relationship with him, the same can't be said about her. I see this marriage falling apart before my eyes and can also see she doesn't want to try to fix it. That means there's 16 months of condition 51 remaining for her to stay in Canada, IF she wants to stay here. There's another 12 months on top of that for financial support but she's told me she doesn't want anymore of my money.

What are my options as sponsor? I have no idea what to do. I have no idea what to say. I just have no idea...

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
mcbeth said:
My wife and step son have been here for 8 months and while I have a good relationship with him, the same can't be said about her. I see this marriage falling apart before my eyes and can also see she doesn't want to try to fix it. That means there's 16 months of condition 51 remaining for her to stay in Canada, IF she wants to stay here. There's another 12 months on top of that for financial support but she's told me she doesn't want anymore of my money.

What are my options as sponsor? I have no idea what to do. I have no idea what to say. I just have no idea...
You basically have 2 options if you break up with her.
1. If you break up and no longer live together, you can report this to CIC. Since she would then be in violation of Condition 51, CIC may investigate her PR status, and may decide to revoke her PR status. Whether this happens is between CIC and her. If her status is revoked, she will need to return to her home country to live or find some other way she can stay in Canada independent of you. Also if her PR status is revoked, you would be immediately relieved of your undertaking commitment to her.

2. Do nothing, so don't report the break up. If CIC doesn't do a random check on you, then most likely after 2 years her condition 51 will be dropped and she'll have full PR status. If she happens to go on welfare anytime during your undertaking (3 years after landing), you would need to pay all that money back to the government.

canadausa#11

Jan 5, 2016
As Rob has pointed out, those are your two options. But you had a bunch of red flags in your application and the CIC decided to overlook them, and now only 8 months after its looking like its over. Call me cynical but I bet she wants to stay in Canada as a PR....

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
canadausa#11 said:
As Rob has pointed out, those are your two options. But you had a bunch of red flags in your application and the CIC decided to overlook them, and now only 8 months after its looking like its over. Call me cynical but I bet she wants to stay in Canada as a PR....
If this is true and she desperately wants to stay here as a PR, then you should prepare for the situation that if you report the break up to CIC she will make a claim that you abused her in some way (even though it's not true) simply because that is the only way to officially get out of Condition 51.

priya.k

Dec 29, 2015
India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-04-2015
AOR Received.
01-07-2015 (AOR2)
File Transfer...
26-06-2015
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
All couples fight..Some more often than others. Maybe give her the benefit of doubt? Immigration is a life changing decision and maybe your wife is finding some adjustments a little more outside of her expectations. Maybe she hasn't been able to find a job yet or she's missing her own family and friends. Just because you two are going through a tough time now doesn't mean she was PR hungry from the beginning. You could go for counselling before calling it off. If it still doesn't work out then you already know what your options are.