+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage Certificate (Nikah Nama) India

Discussion in 'Family Class Sponsorship' started by elmatador, Nov 15, 2013.

  1. Hi Everyone,

    I need to include a marriage certificate for my wife's sponsorhip application. We got married in India per muslim rites, and the ceremony was performed by the Shehar Qazi (City Priest). The original document for the ceremony was in Urdu but his office issued a Certificate of Marriage in English which is attested and notarized by the government of India. The priest has also signed off on the marriage certificate. The only thing is that this certificate is NOT issued from the Govt. Of India's marriage registrar. In the Country Specific Instructions, one of the requirements is "Marriage certificate issued by the Registrar of Marriages". Will the English Marriage Certificate issue from the Qazi's office along with the pictures from the wedding suffice? I will also be providing chains and chains of emails showing my communication with my wife, phone records, text messages, etc.

    Can anyone please help!

    Thanks in advance!
  2. I do not know if the nikah nama will be accepted.
    What my husband and I did is we took the nikah nama and used that to get a certificate of marriage from the municipal corporation. It only took a few days to get this document (which is what CIC require) so I suggest that you just get this one as it will ensure no further unnecessary complications.

    Good luck
  3. Thank you for your response. Did you have to take any specific documents when you went to the municipal corp? Also, what exactly is the municipal corp? We got married in Meerut, UP. Also, I have returned back to Canada. Do I need to be physically present with my wife in order to get this certificate?
  4. Keep in mind that if they do not accept the nikah nama, all your other evidence is useless. The other evidence helps show your relationship is genuine, which you need to do, but for a marriage-based sponsorship, the basic requirement is legal proof you are married. I would do what you can to get a marriage certificate issued by the Registar of Marriages.
  5. The both of you do not need to be present. Your wife can go to get it herself. But they will need the nikah Nama, your passport size photos as well as passport copy to prove that you are the husband and she will also need the same documents to prove that you are both the people who got married. It takes a few days to a week. And I am not sure if you have to pay fees or not. I m not sure what the municipal corp is either.

    Sorry, I can't be of more help... I m not completely sure of the process but this is what I remember from applying for this document 9 months ago. Good luck.

Share This Page