+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage ceremony before getting PR

momo2018

Jan 8, 2018
Hi all

Im living in Canada and my girl is abroad.
Im in the process for PR and we decided to get married. We decided to get the PR first and then sponsor her to come here.
Can we do the ceremony/ party before ill get my PR but dont get married legally (not signing anything)?
Is that going to be ok with immigration, cause I know that if we`re getting married I have to add her to my application and it will cause severe delays)

If anyone has done it before please share your experience

Thanks all

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all

Im living in Canada and my girl is abroad.
Im in the process for PR and we decided to get married. We decided to get the PR first and then sponsor her to come here.
Can we do the ceremony/ party before ill get my PR but dont get married legally (not signing anything)?
Is that going to be ok with immigration, cause I know that if we`re getting married I have to add her to my application and it will cause severe delays)

If anyone has done it before please share your experience

Thanks all
Hi

Yes, you can do that. However, it is generally far easier to just get married before and add her to your current app. As a PR, you would be required to be in Canada throughout the process; if she is unable to come to Canada, you need to be prepared to be apart for a year or more.

Adding a spouse doesn't cause severe delays. It usually only adds about 3-4 months.