+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage before sponsorship

deonl

Aug 30, 2007
Let me paint the picture:

I am a South African citizen and have applied for my Permanent Residency and about a month ago I had my medical exam.
I know the medical results take about a month and a bit but how long after that would I receive word from CIC?

Secondly... I am engaged to marry a South African lady. She's not on my application since we're not married yet.
What I need to know is whether the following is a legal and "best" way to go about things:

1) My PR gets approved and then we apply for my fiance for Temporary Residency Visa - probably to study or travel - whichever is the easiest.
2) We go to Canada together but we're still not married
3) We get married in Canada and I sponsor her for Permanent Residency - spouse sponsorship.

Do we have to notify CIC of these plans or is it all above board?
Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Regards
Deon

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
This seems a really convoluted approach to take to sponsorship. Why aren't you getting married now, so you can add her to your PR application immediately?

If CIC finds out your fiance is going to canada on a TRV, but intends to marry you, they won't grant her the TRV. The reason is a TRV is granted for temporary travel, but her intentions are to stay.

Be careful, whatever you do. If you misrepresent your relationship, you'll put your own PR application or status at risk.

deonl

Aug 30, 2007
Thank you for your advice. I am aware of the delicate situation surrounding my PR application - that is why I want to make sure about my options.
I will visit CIC once my application has been approved in order to see what the options are.
Getting married now is unfortunately not quite as simple! But thanks for the advice none the less.

jevin

Oct 5, 2014
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Port-of-Spain
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2010
Doc's Request.
19-02-2014
LANDED..........
08-04-2015
I'm also interested in this 3 step process. We were thinking student visa, then marry. It's so much better for "transition".
I have the PR visa, is it easier to get married and add wife to application or enter at POE then get PR then get married then sponsor?
how long will adding wife to app take if my visa expires mid next year. We were thinking this would delay or affect my PR process.

When i am there, could she come to visit on visitor's visa - we get married in canada and i sponsor or would i have to go back home to marry then sponsor after?

As of now she is my girlfriend and this should not affect future application for sponsorship as my official status is "single" according to law - i was honest in the application.

Thanks.

yashruti

Star Member
Oct 2, 2014
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2014
AOR Received.
3rd April 2014
File Transfer...
IP on 27augst 2014, DM :30th sept 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 2014
Interview........
Not asked/not required may be
Passport Req..
29th sept 2014,
VISA ISSUED...
Received Visa
LANDED..........
Nov (very soon)
If u have already applied... Then I would suggest get married first... Send the information of ur marital status to CIC along with ur wife's application so that her application also comes into process in parallel to urs or may b with a gap of one or two months which is like fine. All d best :)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
jevin said:
I'm also interested in this 3 step process. We were thinking student visa, then marry. It's so much better for "transition".
I have the PR visa, is it easier to get married and add wife to application or enter at POE then get PR then get married then sponsor?
how long will adding wife to app take if my visa expires mid next year. We were thinking this would delay or affect my PR process.

When i am there, could she come to visit on visitor's visa - we get married in canada and i sponsor or would i have to go back home to marry then sponsor after?

As of now she is my girlfriend and this should not affect future application for sponsorship as my official status is "single" according to law - i was honest in the application.

Thanks.
Just to confirm, I assume you have not lived together with your girlfriend now for at least 12 consecutive months, since that would make you common-law and not single.

It's probably better to get married first, then add her into your application. You will need to return your COPR visa, they will re-process everything with your new wife, and then you would get COPR visas and land as PR together.

Bad parts about this, is there will be a delay while they process your wife and do all her background checks. No telling how long it would take. If your own medicals expire during this time, you would have to re-do them. Also if there are any reasons your wife could be rejected for her PR (due to criminal history or a medical condition), then you would also be rejected for your own PR.

Alternatively if you land in Canada as "single" PR, then get married afterwards, you will need to sponsor her. There is no guarantee she will get a TRV to Canada, so if she can't then you could possibly be separated for a very long time since as a PR you must be residing in Canada to sponsor a spouse.

jevin

Oct 5, 2014
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Port-of-Spain
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2010
Doc's Request.
19-02-2014
LANDED..........
08-04-2015
Thanks for your response!!!

I think the first option you mentioned (returning copr visa) is not a desirable option for me since I dont want to jeapordise my pr or delay the process any further. I think we are deciding to go the sponsoring route since getting married now is too rushed.

1. I heard the emabssies treat spousal sponsorship with somewhat priority.
2. I dont see why there may be an issue in getting a TRV these are issued quite commonly in my country.
3. How long after getting pr card can I get married and start sponsorship process? I was thinking immediately? People get married there is nothing illegal or fraudulent involved, no?
4. Why, as a student there, cant she get married to her boyfriend (me) who happens to have a pr card and then sponsor her? She has to study anyways as she plans to change field so this works perfectly for us.

Thanks for all your help these forums are great!