+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage before PR Application or PR Application first then get married

nikkei

Aug 23, 2016
Hi Everyone,

I would just like to ask if anyone here could give me some advice or tips as to what to do with my situation. I am a foreign worker under live-in caregiver program. I can apply for PR and OWP this coming February, and i'm thinking what is the right and better way to do. A) To get married first in my hometown so I could include him in my PR application or B) Apply for PR first, meaning I have to secure my self PR status first then go to my hometown and get married and then apply for Spousal Sponsorship.
I want to get him fast but I also want to make sure both of us will be PR here in Canada. I just don't want to compromise the opportunity that I have.
How long is it to wait for PR decision or pr processing? and How long is it if spousal sponsorship? which one is faster?

ba2323

Nov 5, 2014
I applied for my PR Dec 2012, and got married Dec 2013, My PR process was almost over but i told them i got married and they said to include my spouse before they close my application, send his documents, and that extended my PR process by another (close to a) year, we got our PR Dec 2014. I think part of the delay was getting a police clearance for him, it took long and then medicals too.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nikkei said:
Hi Everyone,

I would just like to ask if anyone here could give me some advice or tips as to what to do with my situation. I am a foreign worker under live-in caregiver program. I can apply for PR and OWP this coming February, and i'm thinking what is the right and better way to do. A) To get married first in my hometown so I could include him in my PR application or B) Apply for PR first, meaning I have to secure my self PR status first then go to my hometown and get married and then apply for Spousal Sponsorship.
I want to get him fast but I also want to make sure both of us will be PR here in Canada. I just don't want to compromise the opportunity that I have.
How long is it to wait for PR decision or pr processing? and How long is it if spousal sponsorship? which one is faster?
Currently according to http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/INFORMATION/times/index.asp the processing time for live-in caregiver PR is 51 months. If you get married before you apply for PR, you would not be adding any additional time to that because your files are processed concurrently. If you want to wait for the PR and then get married and sponsor, the time to sponsor depends on where you are from. Probably somewhere between 8 months and 2 years.

One difference between getting married first vs. later is the following: If you get married now and apply as a couple, your PR is dependent on that he passes background checks and medicals. If he doesn't, you don't get PR either. However, if you get PR first and then sponsor him, if he doesn't pass background checks, he can not get PR but you already have and keep yours and if he doesn't pass medicals based on excessive demand, he can still get PR. However, if your husband does not have a criminal background and is healthy, it would be faster if you marry before you apply for PR.

Sam6191

May 4, 2016
hey guys,
got few questions will be much appreciated if someone can help,

so i got my Ainp certificate last week , i was single when i applied but i got married in between the processing period i notified ainp and they updated it,
so now i want to apply for pr and my wife is also in canada as TFw so what will be the steps and forms that she would have to fill as i will be the primary applicant?
how should i enclose my file ? like what will be the requirements to complete the file including her documents too?

thank you