+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage before landing and implication on soft landing

Harlevick

Nov 25, 2019
Hello,
My PR application was recently approved though my passport is yet to be returned. The counterfoil will expire in March 2020.
I plan to do a softlanding in January 2020 and leave after 4 days and return after a year.
I also plab to get married in December 2019 just befor my soft landing.
I have the following question please:
1. Do i have to inform CIC or immigration about a change in my marital status
2. What is the implication of informing the.
3. Will this affect the time i have scheduled for my soft landing?
Pls note, my spouse and I will return after one year and i don't intend to sponsor him until then. Thank you

Erigh04

Oct 22, 2018
Hello,

Yes, you definitely need to let them know your change in marital status. If you don't, you will never be able to sponsor your spouse.
I'm not 100% sure about your other questions. But you might have to delay landing to add your spouse (they will need to complete medicals etc.). But you definitely need to add them.

Harlevick

Nov 25, 2019
Hello,

Yes, you definitely need to let them know your change in marital status. If you don't, you will never be able to sponsor your spouse.
I'm not 100% sure about your other questions. But you might have to delay landing to add your spouse (they will need to complete medicals etc.). But you definitely need to add them.
Thank you for your response.
My spouse is not particular about being a resident of canada but wants to come visiting occasionally. Do I still need to inform them? I already bought my ticket before i got all these information.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
My spouse is not particular about being a resident of canada but wants to come visiting occasionally. Do I still need to inform them?
YES.

If possible, I would recommend doing your soft landing BEFORE you get married. That would be the easiest option since you don't have to update IRCC and it won;t delay anything.

Harlevick

Nov 25, 2019
YES.

If possible, I would recommend doing your soft landing BEFORE you get married. That would be the easiest option since you don't have to update IRCC and it won;t delay anything.
Thanks so much. You have been very helpful. We'll likely postpone the wedding till i return then.