+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage after receiving COPR but before landing in Canada

Jan 29, 2020
Hi Everyone,

Timelines for completion of my EE PR is 30th April 2020, I plan to move to Canada between mid May to mid June 2020. I am engaged and planning to get married in the month of May. Kindly suggest if the marriage will lead to any complication in my file and what is way forward for me to take my husband along with me to Canada after our marriage.

Query 2: If I land before marriage, is there any way by which I can call my fiance to Canada and get married there?

Please suggest.

Thank you.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
1. Yes the marriage means you need to add your spouse to your application BEFORE you land. This means you need to give back the COPR and wait for them to process your application with your spouse included. If you land without adding your spouse, you will never be able to sponsor him to join you in Canada and he will need to qualify on his own if Canada is where you want to live.

2. Your fiance can try to apply for a TRV and if approved, can go to Canada to marry you.

Jan 29, 2020
1. Yes the marriage means you need to add your spouse to your application BEFORE you land. This means you need to give back the COPR and wait for them to process your application with your spouse included. If you land without adding your spouse, you will never be able to sponsor him to join you in Canada and he will need to qualify on his own if Canada is where you want to live.

2. Your fiance can try to apply for a TRV and if approved, can go to Canada to marry you.

Thank you.

khanaiman837

Mar 25, 2020
Hello All. My application has completed 6 months, as of 23rd November 2020, and my medical is valid till 23rd July 2021. I plan to get married in April 2021. My question is, can I still let my application get completed as single ? Secondly, upon landing and receiving PR card, would I be able to sponsor my spouse without any issues ?
Thank You

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello All. My application has completed 6 months, as of 23rd November 2020, and my medical is valid till 23rd July 2021. I plan to get married in April 2021. My question is, can I still let my application get completed as single ? Secondly, upon landing and receiving PR card, would I be able to sponsor my spouse without any issues ?
Thank You
As said above, if you get married before landing in Canada and becoming a PR, you MUST notify IRCC, return your COPR if you have received it, and add your spouse to your application.

The only way you can complete the process as single is if you get married AFTER landing in Canada and becoming a PR.

khanaiman837

Mar 25, 2020
As said above, if you get married before landing in Canada and becoming a PR, you MUST notify IRCC, return your COPR if you have received it, and add your spouse to your application.

The only way you can complete the process as single is if you get married AFTER landing in Canada and becoming a PR.
Thank you so much for your response. One last question. How much time does it take after landing to become a Permanent resident ? How soon would I be able to come back to my home country after landing ?
Thanks again.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you so much for your response. One last question. How much time does it take after landing to become a Permanent resident ? How soon would I be able to come back to my home country after landing ?
Thanks again.
You become a permanent resident immediately after landing. You can return to your home country immediately.

However note that you must be living in Canada at the time you submit the application to sponsor your spouse.

chilkootcee

Champion Member
Mar 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
My brother in law is in a similar situation....he is currently living in Dubai with his wife. He originally applied Mar 20, 2019, received visa and COPR Feb 2020 with almost a year expiry (he had just redone his medicals). Then COVID hit, he married in Dec 2020 and informed IRCC, sent spousal information Feb 2021.....

On his ECAS is says:
Eligibility - we are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements
Medical - you do not need a medical exam. We will send you a message if this changes
Review of additional documents - we are reviewing the additional documents you provided
Interview - you do not need an interview
Biometrics - May 6, 2019 completed
Background check - we are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information
Final decision - Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

Under the Biometrics in the top right, there is nothing showing for Biometrics Number, Date of Biometrics Enrolment, Expiry Date.

I submitted a ATIP request for GCMS notes Mar 24, 2022 but we haven't heard anything (I just sent a follow-up today)

Is there a tracking sheet for those who added a spouse between COPR and Landing?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My brother in law is in a similar situation....he is currently living in Dubai with his wife. He originally applied Mar 20, 2019, received visa and COPR Feb 2020 with almost a year expiry (he had just redone his medicals). Then COVID hit, he married in Dec 2020 and informed IRCC, sent spousal information Feb 2021.....

On his ECAS is says:
Eligibility - we are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements
Medical - you do not need a medical exam. We will send you a message if this changes
Review of additional documents - we are reviewing the additional documents you provided
Interview - you do not need an interview
Biometrics - May 6, 2019 completed
Background check - we are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information
Final decision - Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

Under the Biometrics in the top right, there is nothing showing for Biometrics Number, Date of Biometrics Enrolment, Expiry Date.

I submitted a ATIP request for GCMS notes Mar 24, 2022 but we haven't heard anything (I just sent a follow-up today)

Is there a tracking sheet for those who added a spouse between COPR and Landing?
Discussions on this topic are in the Express Entry section of the forum. Look for one of the existing threads on this topic.

chilkootcee

Champion Member
Mar 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
Discussions on this topic are in the Express Entry section of the forum. Look for one of the existing threads on this topic.
Thank you. I did a search and posted in the most recent thread that came up (2019)...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

chilkootcee

Champion Member
Mar 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
Just wanted to update people on my brother in law's spousal add on....he applied Feb 2019, COPR Feb 2020, married and returned COPR, spouse docs submitted Mar 2021. I submitted ATIP request Mar 2022, heard nothing back. Numerous letters to MP, etc. with same response, still in progress. Submitted two more ATIP requests in Jan 2023 - one for him / one for her (different UCIs, same file number) and within a week he received request for biometrics. When she did that, within hours received request for additional documents (pretty much all the same documents that they had already submitted but I assume they can't make a decision on documents that are so old). He'll submit them this weekend. Not sure if the background checks are actually done already (hopefully) and if they will require medical redo for him especially.

She's pregnant and due in September and so I really hope this can move quickly so they can land before she has to deliver...

ONE key lesson learned - when I submitted previous ATIP request, I just indicated that I was seeking GCMS notes on the file however when I submitted the recent requests, I provide a brief application timeline and indicated that it has been almost 4 years from the original application date and almost 2 years for the spousal add on.

The ADR came from the London office. Not sure if that's significant or not.

Have to say, I'm a bit frustrated with the system....I know the volume of applications is unimaginable and we're trying to respond to a few crises here and there. Just hope they can find ways to improve. It just goes to prove you can't give up and honestly, I think I was being too polite by not simply resubmitting the ATIP request (I never did hear back from my first request in Mar 2022 and I'll likely head to the federal offices and ask for my money back.)

suansh

Jan 29, 2024
Hi
I got my copr in april 2023, I got married in may 2023 but did not know the process where i had to inform ircc. now copr expires in 10 days. Already raised webform but they said my information has been passed to the concerned office and they will get back to me. It has been 20 days since this and till now no reply and my copr expires on 4th march 2024. What should I do ? will i lose of chance of PR if I don't receive reply before 4 march. How can i expedite this. Please reply

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi
I got my copr in april 2023, I got married in may 2023 but did not know the process where i had to inform ircc. now copr expires in 10 days. Already raised webform but they said my information has been passed to the concerned office and they will get back to me. It has been 20 days since this and till now no reply and my copr expires on 4th march 2024. What should I do ? will i lose of chance of PR if I don't receive reply before 4 march. How can i expedite this. Please reply
Not a q about residency obligation, wrong part of forum, and duplicative of your other posts. Please don't.