+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage after PR

dreamcanadalife

Nov 13, 2017
Hi recently I got PR and did soft landing.
Now iam about to get married and thinking of ways to take my would be wife along with me to Canada.

I have heard spouse sponsorship takes a long time and is a very complex process.

As she is qualified and has the requisite experience also can she apply through express entry after marriage or is there any other option ?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi recently I got PR and did soft landing.
Now iam about to get married and thinking of ways to take my would be wife along with me to Canada.

I have heard spouse sponsorship takes a long time and is a very complex process.

As she is qualified and has the requisite experience also can she apply through express entry after marriage or is there any other option ?
Yes, there is nothing preventing her from immigration via an economic stream, rather than the family class stream. Until then, she remains a "foreign national" and is subject to the same entry requirements as any other. Therefore, if she requires a visa to come to Canada while a sponsorship is underway, for example, she would have to demonstrate the same eligibility as any other visitor, to the satisfaction of the visa officer.

Spousal sponsorship is far from complex and most couples manage with no professional assistance at all. Time however varies from case to case and office to office.

dreamcanadalife

Nov 13, 2017
Thank you for your reply.
But it's like I am not quite inclined to sponsor her as it's a time consuming process and then sponsor eligibility may also take time.

So it would be really nice if you can advice whether she can apply independently in express entry based on her merits and experience just like I did and got PR. Is there any compulsion for her to apply under family class ?

I'm asking this question because I wasn't getting a clarity on CIC website.

Yes, there is nothing preventing her from immigration via an economic stream, rather than the family class stream. Until then, she remains a "foreign national" and is subject to the same entry requirements as any other. Therefore, if she requires a visa to come to Canada while a sponsorship is underway, for example, she would have to demonstrate the same eligibility as any other visitor, to the satisfaction of the visa officer.

Spousal sponsorship is far from complex and most couples manage with no professional assistance at all. Time however varies from case to case and office to office.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thank you for your reply.
But it's like I am not quite inclined to sponsor her as it's a time consuming process and then sponsor eligibility may also take time.

So it would be really nice if you can advice whether she can apply independently in express entry based on her merits and experience just like I did and got PR. Is there any compulsion for her to apply under family class ?

I'm asking this question because I wasn't getting a clarity on CIC website.
Obviously my answer was not clear. Yes, she can apply via Express Entry. No, she doesn't have to use Family Class.

dreamcanadalife

Nov 13, 2017
Thank you so much.

While going through the application process there is an option of selecting no of family members and it specifically asks if spouse is a permanent resident and whether will he be accompanying or not.
What should be selected in this case as the spouse is already a PR and in Canada.
Also as funds are concerned it is calculating as per 2 members whereas the spouse is already a PR?

Obviously my answer was not clear. Yes, she can apply via Express Entry. No, she doesn't have to use Family Class.