+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage after applying for Visitor Visa

smmor

Oct 24, 2023
Hello,

I want to understand how does marriage affect a visitor visa application. Do we have to inform IRCC, or resubmit any forms, or anything else?

Any insight will be highly appreciated.

Thank you,
SM

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I want to understand how does marriage affect a visitor visa application. Do we have to inform IRCC, or resubmit any forms, or anything else?

Any insight will be highly appreciated.

Thank you,
SM
Yes you would need to submit a webform indicating your change in marital status as soon as you got married as the name of your spouse and their status in Canada because otherwise you would be misrepresentation. Before spouses were more easily able to get TRVs it would be a big deal and getting a TRV was much more difficult. Is your spouse working? Do they have an international travel history especially to countries like US, UK, Australia, etc.? Do they have savings? Another good option would be to apply for the TRV once you are married.

smmor

Oct 24, 2023
Yes you would need to submit a webform indicating your change in marital status as soon as you got married as the name of your spouse and their status in Canada because otherwise you would be misrepresentation. Before spouses were more easily able to get TRVs it would be a big deal and getting a TRV was much more difficult. Is your spouse working? Do they have an international travel history especially to countries like US, UK, Australia, etc.? Do they have savings? Another good option would be to apply for the TRV once you are married.
Hi there,

Thank you so much for taking out time to reply.

My to-be spouse has recently quit to prepare for our wedding, and hasn't visited any of the mentioned countries.

Would you please clarify my follow-up queries:
Would it be better to apply for Visitor Visa after the wedding?
Would my savings help as proof of funds in case we decide to apply after the wedding?

Some additional information that might be helpful:
I've recently applied for PR, and plan to apply for my spouse's OSWP once we're married.
We're in a long distance since quite long now, and ideally would like to come to Canada together, hence were thinking of applying for Visitor Visa, not sure if we should do it now or after the wedding.

Thank you,
SM