+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MARITAL STATUS

Janix

Star Member
Dec 19, 2014
Hi Guys,

I need an advice on our situation.
I am going to file a spouse sponsorship for my wife under conjugal partner category.

I can't declare her as my legal wife for she has a previous marriage from the Philippines.
And she got her divorce in the US and our marriage took place in the US as well.

we found out that Canada will recognize foreign divorce if either spouse was ordinarily resident in the foreign jurisdiction for one year immediately preceding the application for the divorce.

therefore our marriage is void, that's why we decided to go for conjugal partner application.

My question is, since our marriage is void, what is my current marital status?
Still single - never been married?

Thanks Guys!

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
If she was able to get a divorce why is your marry void. Member with more experience with the Philippines will have more of an idea,but from what i understand is if you are able to get a divorce and re marry in the states your married,but you feel its void,so i will learn from this answer also.

Janix

Star Member
Dec 19, 2014
taffy7 said:
If she was able to get a divorce why is your marry void. Member with more experience with the Philippines will have more of an idea,but from what i understand is if you are able to get a divorce and re marry in the states your married,but you feel its void,so i will learn from this answer also.
It is really confusing on what category I should apply for my wife.
This is a snippet from a PDF i got from the internet :

"OP 2 Processing Members of the Family Class

2006-11-14 25

5.33. Legality of foreign divorces

The federal Divorce Act of 1985 governs the recognition of foreign divorces. It specifically provides for the recognition of foreign divorces where the divorce was granted after February 13, 1986. These divorces are valid in Canada if either spouse was ordinarily resident in the foreign jurisdiction for one year immediately preceding the application for the divorce."

This is also the opinion of one of the immigration lawyer that I consulted before.

Hope someone could give clarification to my situation.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Where are you and your wife living now? If you have been living together for one year, you could apply common-law.
How long had she been living in the US before applying for the divorce?