+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marital status question - What to fill???

unarmed

Star Member
Jul 25, 2014
Hello guys,

I am in process of getting Divorced, I have already applied in court for Divorce 6 months ago, but I will get the final paper in JUly 2017, I have to submit EE profile within this week.
- When I came to Canada I was married and I wrote in my VISA application as MARRIED, Now my wife doesnt want to come to Canada so we are getting Divorced

What should I put in EE profile as MArital status??????
1 Divorced
2 Legally Separated
3 Single/Never Married

Please advice

THank you for reading my question.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
What do you mean, you have to submit the "profile" this week, do you mean the eAPR?

IRCC defines separated:

1) "Separated means that two people are married but no longer living together, and they do not wish to live together again. They may be waiting for a divorce or have not yet decided to divorce."
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/glossary.asp

2. "Legally Separated: This means that you are married, but no longer living with your spouse."
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/step-by-step.asp

I would suggest choosing "legally separated" if you've been living apart for at least 1 year, and then including a letter of explanation about the pending divorce.

kbhav

Sep 22, 2016
Hi there,
i have a same issue, i have a copy of divorce petition.
what should be the status? legally separated or divorced?

CIC asking any further docs? as hearing process is going on.

Thanks

unarmed

Star Member
Jul 25, 2014
kbhav said:
Hi there,

Thanks
please brother, if you find any solution please answer me here, thank you brother.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
kbhav said:

If you aren't yet divorced, you can't state that. You are separated.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
kbhav said:
Hi there,

If the divorce is final and you have the divorce certificate, you are divorced. Otherwise you are separated.

Yes, of course IRCC will want proof that the divorce has been finalized.

unarmed

Star Member
Jul 25, 2014
jes_ON said:
If the divorce is final and you have the divorce certificate, you are divorced. Otherwise you are separated.

Yes, of course IRCC will want proof that the divorce has been finalized.
So what proof should i show them now? i do not have final divorce paper, i only have petition. will that do meanwhile?

Thank you

Nk103

Jan 5, 2017
Hi

I was in a similar situation but I decided to wait. I waited till the time I got my final divorce petition.
My CRS was 472. I got my final divorce petition in July, 2016. I then created my EE profile. I got ITA on January 4th.
Out of my documents required, the first document I was asked to submit was my divorce certificate which I submitted.

Hope it helps!!

unarmed

Star Member
Jul 25, 2014
Nk103 said:
Hi

I was in a similar situation but I decided to wait. I waited till the time I got my final divorce petition.
My CRS was 472. I got my final divorce petition in July, 2016. I then created my EE profile. I got ITA on January 4th.
Out of my documents required, the first document I was asked to submit was my divorce certificate which I submitted.

Hope it helps!!
Thanks for replying but if you see reply#1 from member 'Jes', he said that I as per CIC definition I can use legally separated while I am getting divorced. how about that?

thinkshady

Jun 26, 2016
NOC Code......
unarmed said:
Thanks for replying but if you see reply#1 from member 'Jes', he said that I as per CIC definition I can use legally separated while I am getting divorced. how about that?
The only Caveat is you would need to submit the proof.

Nk103

Jan 5, 2017
Divorce petition is a valid proof. It summarizes the case finalization. Has the seal of the court and the judge who declared the final result.
It is definitely a valid proof because I also faced a situation where I had to delete my spouse's name from the passport. I used my divorce petition in the passport office to validate that now I am divorced. They accepted it without any question.

Also, I took a sneak peek where the officer in the passport office cross checked my divorce certificate online because all the legal cases and their jurisdiction related features and results are now available to government authorities online.

So, if a visa office has to check it.. it's not a big deal for them. They have access to all such things.

As far as the question which we are discussing here; I must add if you can anyways provide a proof that you are legally separated and have some documentation that the final result will be declared on a particular date.. may be you have a chance.. but I believe for safety purposes you should wait for your final decision; At least this was what I did because I knew I dont have any proof of being separated from my husband.

Nk103

Jan 5, 2017
You must ask a lawyer.. that what is the proof of legally separated people.
Someone, with legal background will help you better!

But be ready that you have the proof of anything you declare to CIC.

Thanks!

manik782

Dec 21, 2017
i am not living with my wife for last 11 months and i also filed the judicial separation. what should i select in marital status in EE profile? if choose legally separated then judicial separation is valid document to support? or some other document is required?