+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marital Status Legally Seperated

char1es

Star Member
Sep 9, 2016
Hi Guys:

Here is my situation. I married with EX in this Jan. However, later on, I found that he cheated me and also was inadmissible (overstayed since study permit expired). In this April, I and he go to the lawyer do the joint divorce application for his adultery. In the end of Sep, my lawyer told me that the judge didn't accept our joint application cause my lawyer cannot represent both of us. And that time, my lawyer suggest me that send application next Feb for the 1 year separation. If you find another lawyer to represent your ex, it will cost you a lot. So I choose to wait to next Feb. My lawyer told me that at that time I was separated already.
Now, I have received my ITA last month and decide to upload my application to Federal this month. My immigration lawyer told me I have to ask my family lawyer to make a separation agreement so that I can claim legally separated and his inadmissible may not affect my own PR application.
Have anyone here face such situation, once I choose legally separated, I don't need to provide any information of him and he is not my family member anymore? Thank you guys. LMIA has changed the award point. I hope my application can go thorough successfully.

GoHaPPyCaN

May 16, 2016
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 19th
Doc's Request.
May 2nd
Nomination.....
Cancelled
AOR Received.
April 20th
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
No
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
May 10th
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
September 28th
VISA ISSUED...
October 6th
LANDED..........
Already in CaNaDa !
As long as you have legal proofs that you are legally separated, your husband doesn't count as a family member.

I can't tell you for sure if you'll have to provide some information about him (I'd say maybe his DoB and name etc...), but his inadmissibility shouldn't be an issue for you.

char1es

Star Member
Sep 9, 2016
GoHaPPyCaN said:
As long as you have legal proofs that you are legally separated, your husband doesn't count as a family member.

I can't tell you for sure if you'll have to provide some information about him (I'd say maybe his DoB and name etc...), but his inadmissibility shouldn't be an issue for you.
Thanks. I think the legal proof should be the separation agreement which provided by our lawyers, right?

char1es

Star Member
Sep 9, 2016
simplynd2804 said:
As long as your spouse is not part of your EE application you are fine.
Once I choose legally separated and provide separation agreement, I will be fine. Is that right? Thanks

K0099

Star Member
Mar 6, 2017
Hi Guys:

Here is my situation. I married with EX in this Jan. However, later on, I found that he cheated me and also was inadmissible (overstayed since study permit expired). In this April, I and he go to the lawyer do the joint divorce application for his adultery. In the end of Sep, my lawyer told me that the judge didn't accept our joint application cause my lawyer cannot represent both of us. And that time, my lawyer suggest me that send application next Feb for the 1 year separation. If you find another lawyer to represent your ex, it will cost you a lot. So I choose to wait to next Feb. My lawyer told me that at that time I was separated already.
Now, I have received my ITA last month and decide to upload my application to Federal this month. My immigration lawyer told me I have to ask my family lawyer to make a separation agreement so that I can claim legally separated and his inadmissible may not affect my own PR application.
Have anyone here face such situation, once I choose legally separated, I don't need to provide any information of him and he is not my family member anymore? Thank you guys. LMIA has changed the award point. I hope my application can go thorough successfully.

Thanks. I think the legal proof should be the separation agreement which provided by our lawyers, right?

Hello there,

I am facing the Same situation. Have you received your COPR? I hope you would. Plz reply me if CIC ask you for further documents to support legally seperated status. Plz reply me. Thanks a lot