+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MARITAL STATUS INQUIRY - Common-Law Partner / Married

MELopez

Oct 25, 2018
Dear All,

Good day.

Please bare with my questions. I am new and would like to confirm some information.

1. Me and my partner ( Boyfriend for three years - 2 years live in) are planning to get married next year February 2018 and would like to apply as Skilled Workers Overseas in the province of Manitoba. I have no connection but he has (Aunties, Uncles and Cousins). My question is am I eligible to apply right after the wedding? Or since we are just newly wed I should wait for 12 months to apply? *My boyfriend doesn't want to apply alone and wants to go there with me if possible.

2. Since we will be getting married next year, should I apply the IELTS exam before or after?

3. Once we get married, all my status and last name will be changed. I would like to if how long it will take for us to apply on this program? Like, should I prepare first all the requirements before applying? *We are both residing in Philippines.

Thank you all in advance for your time and help.

Best regards,
ME

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Dear All,

Good day.

Please bare with my questions. I am new and would like to confirm some information.

1. Me and my partner ( Boyfriend for three years - 2 years live in) are planning to get married next year February 2018 and would like to apply as Skilled Workers Overseas in the province of Manitoba. I have no connection but he has (Aunties, Uncles and Cousins). My question is am I eligible to apply right after the wedding? Or since we are just newly wed I should wait for 12 months to apply? *My boyfriend doesn't want to apply alone and wants to go there with me if possible.

2. Since we will be getting married next year, should I apply the IELTS exam before or after?

3. Once we get married, all my status and last name will be changed. I would like to if how long it will take for us to apply on this program? Like, should I prepare first all the requirements before applying? *We are both residing in Philippines.

Thank you all in advance for your time and help.

Best regards,
ME
Since you have been living together for 2 years, your boyfriend needs to declare you as his common law partner. You can apply straight away as what you are now, you do not need to be married.

MELopez

Oct 25, 2018
Since you have been living together for 2 years, your boyfriend needs to declare you as his common law partner. You can apply straight away as what you are now, you do not need to be married.
Hi Jddd,

Thank you so much for the information.

But I don't have any connections in Manitoba does will it affect points?

Best regards,
ME

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Hi Jddd,

Thank you so much for the information.

But I don't have any connections in Manitoba does will it affect points?

Best regards,
ME
I am not an expert but it shouldn't. What I know FOR SURE is that if he does not declare you as his common law partner, then he can NEVER sponsor you after he gets PR. So don't just think about the points. Think about doing everything CORRECTLY.

Reactions: Buletruck

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Just to add, if he doesn’t declare you as his common law partner now, if he landed it wouldn’t matter if you got married later, he still could not sponsor you. Don’t make that mistake.....lots of posts here about the headaches and heart aches that little faux pas causes.

Reactions: jddd