+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marital Status - IMM 5406

Marja8

Aug 30, 2018
BC
Category........
FAM
Which marital status to follow when applying to immigrate? The marital status of the country where you are from or marital status definition in Canada.

I'm confused with the definition of "Legally Separated".

In Canada perspective;

Legally Separated:
This means that you are married, but no longer living with your spouse.

In the Philippines where the applicant is from and a citizen there and where the marriage took place;

Legally Separated has to be filed in the family court which they don't usually do, they just live separate lives (no intention of re-marrying). There is no divorce in the Philippines. SO , f no filing done you are still considered married even if you're no longer living together.

Since I'm applying for parent sponsorship and it's asking for each family members marital status, we are confused if the members of our family that have gone separate lives and some living in separate countries already but never filed legal separation in family court in the Philippines should still put as "Married" or follow Canada's perspective that if not living together (without any filing in court needed) then put "Legally Separated".

Please enlighten us with these marital status confusion. Thanks!

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Which marital status to follow when applying to immigrate? The marital status of the country where you are from or marital status definition in Canada.

I'm confused with the definition of "Legally Separated".

In Canada perspective;

Legally Separated:
This means that you are married, but no longer living with your spouse.

In the Philippines where the applicant is from and a citizen their and where the marriage took place;

Legally Separated has to be filed in the family court which they don't usually do, they live separate lives (no intention of re-marrying). There is no divorce in the Philippines. SO , f no filing done you are still considered married even if you're no longer living together.

Since I'm applying for parent sponsorship and it's asking for each family members marital status, we are confused if the members of our family that have gone separate lives and some living in separate countries already but never filed legal separation in family court in the Philippines should still put as "Married" or follow Canada's perspective that if not living together (without any filing in court needed) then put "Legally Separated".

Please enlighten us with these marital status confusion. Thanks!
Canadian application, Canadian definition.