+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marital Status change after receiving PPR (passport request form)

as187

Star Member
Apr 2, 2015
Hello,
I have a query regarding my PR application wrt change in marital status. At the time of submitting my PR application (Express entry federal skilled worker) I was single. Now my marital status have changed from single to married. I have received the PPR (passport request form). After receiving the PPR, I informed CIC through a webform that my marital status have changed from single to married. They have replied that I should add my spouse name by filling out some forms. I have not yet sent the passport and not yet filled those forms for spouse addition because I have several doubts regarding this-
1. Is it mandatory to fill out these forms for spouse addition? If I do not fill this form, what will happen
2. If I fill this form - do I add my wife as a accompanying member or a non-accompanying member. Is it too late to add my wife as a accompanying member in this application. Also I cleared the CRS score cut-off only by 2 marks.
3. If I add my wife as accompanying member, will they recalculate the eligibility and CRS score for me
4. If I add my wife as a non-accompanying member, then what are the next steps to get VISA for my wife so that we both can migrate to Canada after receiving COPR. Currently we both are working in India.
5. Do I need to apply for a family sponsor visa for my wife? How much time it takes to get this VISA and what is the fees?
6. Can my wife apply independently for a PR under express entry FSW?
7. During the processing of family visa/fsw application of my wife, can my wife come to CANADA on a visitor VISA or work VISA? If she comes to CANADA on visitor visa and find a job in CANADA can she start working while the family visa application is in progress?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,
I have a query regarding my PR application wrt change in marital status. At the time of submitting my PR application (Express entry federal skilled worker) I was single. Now my marital status have changed from single to married. I have received the PPR (passport request form). After receiving the PPR, I informed CIC through a webform that my marital status have changed from single to married. They have replied that I should add my spouse name by filling out some forms. I have not yet sent the passport and not yet filled those forms for spouse addition because I have several doubts regarding this-
1. Is it mandatory to fill out these forms for spouse addition? If I do not fill this form, what will happen
2. If I fill this form - do I add my wife as a accompanying member or a non-accompanying member. Is it too late to add my wife as a accompanying member in this application. Also I cleared the CRS score cut-off only by 2 marks.
3. If I add my wife as accompanying member, will they recalculate the eligibility and CRS score for me
4. If I add my wife as a non-accompanying member, then what are the next steps to get VISA for my wife so that we both can migrate to Canada after receiving COPR. Currently we both are working in India.
5. Do I need to apply for a family sponsor visa for my wife? How much time it takes to get this VISA and what is the fees?
6. Can my wife apply independently for a PR under express entry FSW?
7. During the processing of family visa/fsw application of my wife, can my wife come to CANADA on a visitor VISA or work VISA? If she comes to CANADA on visitor visa and find a job in CANADA can she start working while the family visa application is in progress?
1. Yes it's mandatory. If you fail to do this, you will be committing misrepresentation and you will never be able to sponsor your spouse for PR.
2. It's your choice. I would go with accompanying. Your points will not be recalculated.
3. See above.
4. If you want to move to Canada together then you need to add her as accompanying. Otherwise you need to move to Canada and live in Canada in order to be able to sponsor her for PR. She can try to get a TRV during the process but no guarantee of approved approval.
5. If you go with non accompanying then yes, you'll need to sponsor her through family class later. Plan on one plus years to process the application and around $2k in fees once you factor everything in.
6. Yes, but she had to qualify completely on her own and can't claim points for you.
7. She can try to apply for a TRV but approval chances are probably only 50/50. She will only qualify for an open work permit if she first comes to Canada on a TRV and then you sponsor her through the inland process. Note it can take 8+ months for the OWP to be approved. Otherwise if she wants to work, she needs a job offer and approved LMIA to qualify for a closed work permit.

It is mandatory that you add her to the application. I would strongly recommend you add her as accompanying. Otherwise you're just going to create more complexity, stress and expense to the process.

Mohitj22

Mar 17, 2021
1. Yes it's mandatory. If you fail to do this, you will be committing misrepresentation and you will never be able to sponsor your spouse for PR.
2. It's your choice. I would go with accompanying. Your points will not be recalculated.
3. See above.
4. If you want to move to Canada together then you need to add her as accompanying. Otherwise you need to move to Canada and live in Canada in order to be able to sponsor her for PR. She can try to get a TRV during the process but no guarantee of approved approval.
5. If you go with non accompanying then yes, you'll need to sponsor her through family class later. Plan on one plus years to process the application and around $2k in fees once you factor everything in.
6. Yes, but she had to qualify completely on her own and can't claim points for you.
7. She can try to apply for a TRV but approval chances are probably only 50/50. She will only qualify for an open work permit if she first comes to Canada on a TRV and then you sponsor her through the inland process. Note it can take 8+ months for the OWP to be approved. Otherwise if she wants to work, she needs a job offer and approved LMIA to qualify for a closed work permit.

It is mandatory that you add her to the application. I would strongly recommend you add her as accompanying. Otherwise you're just going to create more complexity, stress and expense to the process.
Hello Scylla,
I have a question. We submitted my wife's application with her maiden name. On our ur married cert, she has my last name, and later we changed all the documents to my last name. We sent all the documents and still received pre-arrival and medical request with her maiden name so we have now again sent all the name change documents. Do you think this would be a problem for us? Our lawyer suggested it.

SylviaAltor

Oct 30, 2019
He
3. See above.

Hello Scylla, I have a question about your answer 2. When I did research about that, I found IRCC(@CitImmCanada)'s response on twitter as follows:

==================================================================================

1/2 Hi. If you change a spouse from to accompanying after ITA we'll recalculate your points to reflect your new situation. It won’t give you an advantage. If your new score is lower than the ITA round you were in, we'll refuse your app and you'll lose your money.

4:49 AM · Feb 23, 2018·Freshdesk

==================================================================================

Is the case different here(post ITA and post PPR) or the policy has been different?

vachunik

Nov 12, 2022
3. See above.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi same situation got my COPR before marriage raised webforms to communicate the change. However no response from IRCC till date since June. My COPR will be expiring in November end 2022, hence i am worried what to do in case of no response.. should i let it expire or do complete the first landing procedure.
please help if anyone has info on this...

KidFromSky

Dec 11, 2023
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi same situation got my COPR before marriage raised webforms to communicate the change. However no response from IRCC till date since June. My COPR will be expiring in November end 2022, hence i am worried what to do in case of no response.. should i let it expire or do complete the first landing procedure.
please help if anyone has info on this...
Hello Vachinuk,

Could you please give us an update on this? My common law partner and I got married after the visa was issued. We filled the webform to notify the IRCC and wrote to the relevant department and the consulate but received no replies in two months. Did you end up getting a response? Would love to hear your experience.