+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marital/Single Status in India

canada93india91

Nov 27, 2012
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm not sure if this is where to post my question but if you have the right forum to me or the answer I'd be happy!

So my boyfriend and I (also a male) want to get married so he can come to Canada quicker. Every piece of Indian document that he has, including his passport, requires his Marital/Single status and spouses' name. His family is against homosexuality and they have access to all his documents. So is it possible for him to lie on all of his documents and say that he is single without causing any problems within India or Canada...?

Thanks!!

Remrov

May 16, 2012
Hello canada93india91,

A difficult situation that his family is against homosexuality. Everybody should be able to be who he is, especially around family, instead of to lie about it.

But to answer your question...I'm not from India, but I think it not such a good idea to lie on official documents, because this will cause confusions and questions I'm affraid. And information on a passport or other documents like that is quite important also. In wonder if it's even possible to lie on them.

But of course I can't be sure because I understand it's a difficult situation.

A

achander

Wait you say you guys want to get married which means both of you are single. So why should he lie that he is single. Isn't that the truth? Am I missing something?

In case there is some lying involved, I would advice you not to lie. I understand your situation, but lying can cause more trouble in the future.
Unfortunately in India, they move forward by walking backwards. Yes, I am from India too.

good luck

Creampop

Jun 15, 2012
Waterloo ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo closed > Ottawa > Finalized in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 23rd, 2012
Doc's Request.
RPRF-September 14th, 2012
File Transfer...
7/23/12 > Ottawa 10/9/12 > LA
Med's Done....
April 10th, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
October 9th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR issued Oct. 29, 2012 DM November 6th, 2012
LANDED..........
November 23rd, 2012
ok I think you are asking that once you get married he will have to change all his documents... in order to file in Canada he is going to need his birth certificate which they don't change once you are married and his passport... I got married and used the passport I had I changed nothing he legally doesn't have to change anything on the passport until it expires... so his family is going to have access to the same passport he had before. you will just provide the marriage certificate to Canadian immigration. so you will only be lying to his family... not that that is a good thing but you won't be lying to immigration, you can explain on the application about how his family feels about homosexuality why they didn't know of the marriage etc...

canada93india91

Nov 27, 2012
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
achander said:
Wait you say you guys want to get married which means both of you are single. So why should he lie that he is single. Isn't that the truth? Am I missing something?

In case there is some lying involved, I would advice you not to lie. I understand your situation, but lying can cause more trouble in the future.
Unfortunately in India, they move forward by walking backwards. Yes, I am from India too.

good luck
Because if his parents found out and saw that he is married [to another guy] then it would cause a lot of problems for him.

blueboom

Aug 19, 2012
Toronto
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
September 27, 2012
File Transfer...
November 7, 2012
Med's Done....
August 27, 2012
Interview........
waived (DM April 19, 2013)
Passport Req..
May 2, 2013 (non visa-exempt)
VISA ISSUED...
June 11, 2013
LANDED..........
June 23, 2013
I am not entirely sure but I was under the impression that same-sex marriages, whether or not they are conducted outside of India, are not recognized. While same-sex activity, or whatever the government called it, was recently decriminalized, i dont think you would be able to register your marriage in India. And if India won't recognize your marriage, even if you perform it in Canada, I doubt they will even allow your boyfriend to add you to his passport.

Hopefully someone with more concrete knowledge can enter the conversation.

Edit: I just read your other posts to get a better idea of your situation. In your case, it's a false impression that marriage will make your situation easier or bring him to Canada quicker, especially because you have only been together since April. It's a tough situation, but I'd consider something else rather than an immediate marriage. Whatever the situation, immigration is not a reason to get married. Try another student visa for him and you can show that you have more time together as proof of a genuine relationship.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
I also think that if homosexual marriages are not allowed or recognized in India, India is not going to let him add you to his documents.
So once you get married, just use the documents as they are, and explain the problem in a letter added to your application.