+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

marital problems and immigration

Arya Stark

Oct 13, 2016
Hi,
I have been a PR for 6 months and was sponsored by my husband. We had serious marital issues and he sent me back to my home country without my PR card. Now he has sent us his demands which he wants me to sign and if we don't he has threatened to divorce. His demands are stripping me of my rights and are outright humiliating. I wish to maintain my PR status and report abuse but I cant do that without entering Canada.
Any advice?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Arya Stark said:
Hi,
I have been a PR for 6 months and was sponsored by my husband. We had serious marital issues and he sent me back to my home country without my PR card. Now he has sent us his demands which he wants me to sign and if we don't he has threatened to divorce. His demands are stripping me of my rights and are outright humiliating. I wish to maintain my PR status and report abuse but I cant do that without entering Canada.
Any advice?
Obtain a Permanent Resident Travel Document from the nearest Canadian Visa Office. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/travel-document/

Do not just give in to him. Keep any demands he has sent as evidence of the potential abuse.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can you prove the abuse? Just because he asked you to leave the house and return to your home country which you did, doesn't necessarily mean there was abuse.

What are his demands that he wants you to sign?

Condition 51 is automatically removed after 2 years as long as your PR status is not under investigation so if he does not report you to immigration and neither does anybody else within the 2 years, then the condition would be removed.

You therefore have two options. 1) you request a PR travel document, return to Canada, get a lawyer, divorce him and fleece him for every penny you can get while fighting for your PR based on abuse or

2) you sign his demands and after 2 years when the condition is removed on your PR, you can apply for a PR travel document and return to Canada with your PR as he can no longer make a complaint against you.

With 1) you should communicate with him by email to get more evidence of the abuse. However, be careful that you are not enticing him or abusing him in your emails because immigration will see it then as being on both sides.

With 2) be careful that even though you sign his demands, he could still report your breakdown of relationship to immigration and have you stripped of your PR.

Arya Stark

Oct 13, 2016
Thanks for your advice.
yes I can prove abuse. I have communicated with him and he has been quite insulting and abusive.
His demands are all about control. During my stay with him in canada he didn't let me work so I was financially dependant on him and he used that to his advantage.
My only concern is that is there a chance that my travel document could be rejected?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Arya Stark said:
Thanks for your advice.
yes I can prove abuse. I have communicated with him and he has been quite insulting and abusive.
His demands are all about control. During my stay with him in canada he didn't let me work so I was financially dependant on him and he used that to his advantage.
My only concern is that is there a chance that my travel document could be rejected?
Your travel document should not get rejected because you are still a PR and still meet the residency obligation. Once you get to Canada, you may be better off reporting the abuse and breakdown of relationship to immigration yourself including your evidence. That way he doesn't have it over your head.

You know that even if you were not allowed to work and did not have money, you could have gone to a womens shelter and applied for welfare which he would have been obliged as your sponsor to repay to the government.

Arya Stark

Oct 13, 2016
Leon said:
Your travel document should not get rejected because you are still a PR and still meet the residency obligation. Once you get to Canada, you may be better off reporting the abuse and breakdown of relationship to immigration yourself including your evidence. That way he doesn't have it over your head.

You know that even if you were not allowed to work and did not have money, you could have gone to a womens shelter and applied for welfare which he would have been obliged as your sponsor to repay to the government.
No I didn't know that. I was new in Canada and wasn't aware of this. I considered calling 911 a few times but never got the courage to. I guess I loved my husband and kept waiting for things to get better. He had also driven me mad and I wasn't thinking straight either. I just wanted to go home.

dicksonjoe

Oct 7, 2016
I am in the Social Services field, many women like you don't have the courage to call 911 is because they're afraid of deportation. We do have services in Canada like women's shelter that can assist and support you. You definitely qualify for welfare.