+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MARCH 2020 *Outland* Spousal Sponsorship

Sepi

Apr 8, 2020
What I meant was; many sponsors applying for an exemption to travel as "essential" and TRV for their spouses have received either refusal stating they don't meet exemption criteria or their TRVs are kept on hold from being processed (for those who need Visa to travel). This happened in spite of the announcement that consideration would be given to spouses. Spouses could apply for TRV earlier too however faint chances of approval.
I think it will always need some time to take instructions into actions, and that’s why they have started processing applications from July 1st (about a month after the announcement on June 8th). Also, If you visit the visa office website for your country, you will see that they will not process all type of TRVs, they have limitations and priorities and one of the priorities is to process TRVs for immediate family members.

jasluke

Star Member
Nov 24, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Because exemption is only for what IRCC will consider essential travel. Maybe just visiting a spouse is not essential travel from their point of view. In general the chance of TRV visa approval for a spouse is always slim. I do not know what is the case for visa-free countries.
Yeah they probably don't find it essential. However the orders released describe that travel for the reunification of immediate family members are exempt from the travel ban which includes spouses : https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/attachment.php?attach=39478&lang=en

Reactions: Sepi

jhunt671

May 8, 2020
I received that bog standard email from them today about processing applications from before February 11 but now it has changed to "currently processing applications received before March 11, 2020." I did not fill out a webform for this extra email so I hope that means they are being diligent of how many people are desperately waiting for answers and they have started working on the March applications and thus sent that email out to many as a small notice.

Reactions: Sepi

ManBhawan

Star Member
Jun 9, 2020
I received that bog standard email from them today about processing applications from before February 11 but now it has changed to "currently processing applications received before March 11, 2020." I did not fill out a webform for this extra email so I hope that means they are being diligent of how many people are desperately waiting for answers and they have started working on the March applications and thus sent that email out to many as a small notice.
I had received that email a month ago for processing applications received before 12th March. As my application received on 12th March. So just wondering that if yours was 11th March, and they sent you this email fro processing before 11th March.
Hopefully this time they are actually working on before 11th March. God Knows what are they doing, giving us hopes with no results at all

Reactions: lovely89

ManBhawan

Star Member
Jun 9, 2020
One more question, looking for advise please.
When I sent the spousal application, I did not have the NOA- Notice of assessment as I came back in March, so filed my tax late.
And sent my application as it with my T4 instead of NOA.

Once I got it, I requested them to advise through IRCC WEBFORM for how to submit my NOA. After couple standard replies form them for processing applications with no clear instructions where to send, finally I got reply that I can submit it by same IRCC WEB form and they will forward it concerned office.

I had submitted it , after that I got the same standard reply that they are working on applications, and my application is not in the system yet.
But no reply for if they received NOA or what they will do next.

If anybody can please suggest what should I do, as I don't want them to return back my application as of missing NOA.

jhunt671

May 8, 2020
I had received that email a month ago for processing applications received before 12th March. As my application received on 12th March. So just wondering that if yours was 11th March, and they sent you this email fro processing before 11th March.
Hopefully this time they are actually working on before 11th March. God Knows what are they doing, giving us hopes with no results at all

That is entirely possible since my previous forms advised I had sent my package in on March 11. Damn, got my hopes up there.

• Sad
Reactions: jasluke

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yeah they probably don't find it essential. However the orders released describe that travel for the reunification of immediate family members are exempt from the travel ban which includes spouses : https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/attachment.php?attach=39478&lang=en
That's exactly my point. They are exempt from the travel ban. They are not exempt from meeting the usual requirements for getting a visa. For travellers that need visas, the only change is that once they get a visa, they will be allowed to travel.

Reactions: CDNsoldier

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
That's exactly my point. They are exempt from the travel ban. They are not exempt from meeting the usual requirements for getting a visa. For travellers that need visas, the only change is that once they get a visa, they will be allowed to travel.
I repeat, this is my interpretation and I'm stating it because I think many have understood (misunderstood) that the exemption from the travel ban means they will get visas. As far as I can tell, the announcement does not say that.

Visa officers do have some discretion to grant visas where they feel the considerations - call them compassionate if you wish - outweigh the usual requirements. But it does not seem to mean automatic visa issuance just because you wish to rejoin your spouse.

adyc

Star Member
Apr 12, 2020
Ottawa
I am an April applicant and sent a web form last week to ask about my application. Two days ago they answered me saying they’re still working on applications before Feb 12...seems like it’s all arbitrary :/

Dude29

Star Member
Dec 23, 2019
I think there is a misunderstanding here. The exemption is not from the need for a visa, but from the essential travel requirement. Spouses who have or do not need visas may travel without showing it is essential.

The opening up is to apply for a TRV. It does not provide an exemption from the essential travel requirement.

But at least now spouses can apply for a TRV, and if approved, they can travel without proving it is essential.

Note this is how I understand the situation, I may be wrong.

Note it also means that some of those who apply for and receive visas may still not be able to travel, ie if they are not travelling to visit spuses.

Frankly it is all a bit confusing.
I think immediate family members have been exempt since June 1st from applying TRV, it says right on their official page.

I think I have said multiple times that immediate family members are exempt from travel restrictions and for applying TRV since June 1st.

But yeah this does not guarantee an approval for TRV.

SHPAH

Star Member
Oct 16, 2019
Did it really say March 12? Because my response from them said feb 12th. They received my document on March 1st

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I think immediate family members have been exempt since June 1st from applying TRV, it says right on their official page.

I think I have said multiple times that immediate family members are exempt from travel restrictions and for applying TRV since June 1st.

But yeah this does not guarantee an approval for TRV.
I believe we are saying the same thing - yes, immediate family members can apply for TRV. Yes, if they get a TRV, they can travel.

No, the exemptions do not mean that they _will_ be given a TRV.

Clear? Agreed?

I'm only repeating because what you wrote above - 'they are exempt from travel restrictions and applying for TRV' - seems to say they are exempt from [needing to apply for] TRV, but I think that was unintentional on your part.

[I assume you mean that from June 1 they are exempt from restrictions on _applying for_ TRV. Which doesn't mean they will necessarily be approved.

Shn05

Star Member
Apr 13, 2018
One more question, looking for advise please.
When I sent the spousal application, I did not have the NOA- Notice of assessment as I came back in March, so filed my tax late.
And sent my application as it with my T4 instead of NOA.

Once I got it, I requested them to advise through IRCC WEBFORM for how to submit my NOA. After couple standard replies form them for processing applications with no clear instructions where to send, finally I got reply that I can submit it by same IRCC WEB form and they will forward it concerned office.

I had submitted it , after that I got the same standard reply that they are working on applications, and my application is not in the system yet.
But no reply for if they received NOA or what they will do next.

If anybody can please suggest what should I do, as I don't want them to return back my application as of missing NOA.
I did the same thing but I included my 2018 NOA as that was the “most recent” I have when I submitted our application and I also included an explanation on why we haven’t filed 2019 yet.