+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

March 2020 - Citizenship Applicants

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
If you look at the stats for the applicants who received FP from scarborough office take a long time to move to next stage. so be chill now(give 6 months) as i said in worse scenario withdraw and reapply through online
I think widhrawing and reapplying will make the 1 year wait absolutely useless. I would rather wait. What's the worse thay will happen? It will take 2 years, 3 years, 4 years. They will have to resolve the case through a decision at some point to clear backlog. We can always renew our PR cards for travel and keep meeting residency requirements in the meantime.
I agree with @AmericanCanadian007 on this . Withdrawing the application after a 1 year wait makes no sense to me. It is extremely likely that it will increase your waiting period, not reduce it.

Mostly, application delays can be attributed to delays in security clearance / background checks. These checks are done irrespective of whether you apply on paper or online. So, it makes absolutely no sense to withdraw the application and then apply online.

Reactions: AmericanCanadian007

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Been 10 days since I've applied for my GCMS notes. Still waiting...
GCMS notes normally take 30 days to be processed. They'll have to fetch your file and go through the information on each page and redact sensitive/confidential information. You will NOT see useful information under the 'Security' section as this section is usually fully redacted.

Given the delays due to Covid-19, it might take even longer now.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I really hope we close this forum in the next month - everyone gets a test invite. Congratulations friend.
That's overly ambitious and as much as I would like that to happen, it is nearly impossible given the Covid-19 delays and the way different offices operate. This has sure become a waiting game and I'm not enjoying it. But hey, compared to the pace at which things were moving last year, this year looks so much better (especially with the test invites).

This is not what I hoped for but it is something. Small progress is better than no progress.

Fingers crossed and good luck!

Usher9387

Star Member
Apr 21, 2015
I agree with @AmericanCanadian007 on this . Withdrawing the application after a 1 year wait makes no sense to me. It is extremely likely that it will increase your waiting period, not reduce it.

Mostly, application delays can be attributed to delays in security clearance / background checks. These checks are done irrespective of whether you apply on paper or online. So, it makes absolutely no sense to withdraw the application and then apply online.
It's not entirely true. I even seen in this forum people complains all their checks are completed but they are waiting for more than a year to move to the next stage.In my case when i called last Feb they told me only criminality was pending and i got FP on March and IRCC confirmed they received my FP result that means Security/Background checks are cleared but if you look at the stats in this forum applicants who received FP request from scarborough office ideally takes 6 months to move to next stage.

Last edited:
Reactions: GokulGuruprasad

Usher9387

Star Member
Apr 21, 2015
I think widhrawing and reapplying will make the 1 year wait absolutely useless. I would rather wait. What's the worse thay will happen? It will take 2 years, 3 years, 4 years. They will have to resolve the case through a decision at some point to clear backlog. We can always renew our PR cards for travel and keep meeting residency requirements in the meantime.
Rather than wait for another couple of years to move to next stage I believe it's better to withdraw and reapply through ONLINE who knows we might get it in less than 6 months or wait little longer as you said may be 3 or 4 years but they have to finalize anyway but at least trying is better than not trying.Unless the application stuck in security or background then neither will work.

Last edited:

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
It's not entirely true. I even seen in this forum people complains all their checks are completed but they are waiting for more than a year to move to the next stage.In my case when i called last Feb they told me only criminality was pending and i got FP on March and IRCC confirmed they received my FP result that means Security/Background checks are cleared but if you look at the stats in this forum applicants who received FP request from scarborough office ideally takes 6 months to move to next stage.
The mere fact that you received a FP request makes your application non-routine. The processing time stats provided on the website only reflect routine applications. Again, you cannot "see" if your application is routine or non-routine from GCMS notes. You can find this out only if your MP reaches out to IRCC and gets your file for you. In this case, I know getting FP makes the application non-routine because I have seen such cases before. Submitting FP request doesn't mean that BG checks are complete. It means that your BG checks are progressing (and that is good, any progress is good!). One more thing you should know is that the security clearance received for your application is valid only for 1 year (and that's based on the general understanding, I'll have to look for evidence for this). If more than 1 year has passed since the clearance has been issued, IRCC will request you for another set of prints. I have seen this happen to several applicants on the forum.

Rather than wait for another couple of years to move to next stage I believe it's better to withdraw and reapply through ONLINE who knows we might get it in less than 6 months or wait little longer as you said may be 3 or 4 years but they have to finalize anyway but at least trying is better than not trying.Unless the application stuck in security or background then neither will work.
Well, when applicants say "all their checks are completed", that has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Usually, there is NO WAY (that I know) to see the status of your security checks. It generally doesn't show up on the GCMS notes. Getting your MP to fetch details from IRCC might reveal the status of the BG checks (I'm not very sure about this) so don't quote me on that (but that might be the only way to know the status of your BG checks).

From my experience, though Criminality says Passed, the status of security usually is redacted (and there is no way for the applicant to know the status of security/ BG checks).

Yes, several December 2020 applicants who applied online have received test invitations in a very short time but remember, there are a large number of applicants who are still waiting. Not everyone who applies online will see quick processing - application processing speeds depends on numerous factors - the complexity of the application, application being routine/non-routine, the workload and the efficiency of the processing office, the workload and efficiency of the officer processing the particular case, the time taken for BG checks to be returned from RCMP/CSIS among others. Just because a few applicants saw quick processing times doesn't mean everyone else will see the same thing. Further, there are restrictions on who can apply online. If you are applying with a family or if you are under 18 / over 55, you can't apply online. You'll have to be a single applicant to apply online at this time.

Canceling an existing application that has been in process for one year with no guarantees whatsoever that you'll see a faster processing time with online applications and foregoing the fee that was paid doesn't make much sense to me. Canceling this application will certainly put you behind and your application will have to be processed from scratch. Most applicants will NOT do this (speaking from experience). I know this because when Express Entry was first introduced in 2015, the sentiment of applicants on the forum who had applied for PR in 2013 and 2014 (who were still waiting) was NOT to cancel their applications altogether and apply via Express Entry. They waited for their paper PR applications to be processed.

Having said that, to each his/her own. I am not telling anyone what to or what not to do. I am just providing my opinion on how this might pan out. At the end of the day, it is up to the applicants to decide what is best for them.

Last edited:

Usher9387

Star Member
Apr 21, 2015
The mere fact that you received a FP request makes your application non-routine. The processing time stats provided on the website only reflect routine applications. Again, you cannot "see" if your application is routine or non-routine from GCMS notes. You can find this out only if your MP reaches out to IRCC and gets your file for you. In this case, I know getting FP makes the application non-routine because I have seen such cases before. Submitting FP request doesn't mean that BG checks are complete. It means that your BG checks are progressing (and that is good, any progress is good!). One more thing you should know is that the security clearance received for your application is valid only for 1 year (and that's based on the general understanding, I'll have to look for evidence for this). If more than 1 year has passed since the clearance has been issued, IRCC will request you for another set of prints. I have seen this happen to several applicants on the forum.

Well, when applicants say "all their checks are completed", that has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Usually, there is NO WAY (that I know) to see the status of your security checks. It generally doesn't show up on the GCMS notes. Getting your MP to fetch details from IRCC might reveal the status of the BG checks (I'm not very sure about this) so don't quote me on that (but that might be the only way to know the status of your BG checks).

From my experience, though Criminality says Passed, the status of security usually is redacted (and there is no way for the applicant to know the status of security/ BG checks).

Yes, several December 2020 applicants who applied online have received test invitations in a very short time but remember, there are a large number of applicants who are still waiting. Not everyone who applies online will see quick processing - application processing speeds depends on numerous factors - the complexity of the application, application being routine/non-routine, the workload and the efficiency of the processing office, the workload and efficiency of the officer processing the particular case, the time taken for BG checks to be returned from RCMP/CSIS among others. Just because a few applicants saw quick processing times doesn't mean everyone else will see the same thing. Further, there are restrictions on who can apply online. If you are applying with a family or if you are under 18 / over 55, you can't apply online. You'll have to be a single applicant to apply online at this time.

Canceling an existing application that has been in process for one year with no guarantees whatsoever that you'll see a faster processing time with online applications and foregoing the fee that was paid doesn't make much sense to me. Canceling this application will certainly put you behind and your application will have to be processed from scratch. Most applicants will NOT do this (speaking from experience). I know this because when Express Entry was first introduced in 2015, the sentiment of applicants on the forum who had applied for PR in 2013 and 2014 (who were still waiting) was NOT to cancel their applications altogether and apply via Express Entry. They waited for their paper PR applications to be processed.

Having said that, to each his/her own. I am not telling anyone what to or what not to do. I am just providing my opinion on how this might pan out. At the end of the day, it is up to the applicants to decide what is best for them.
Are you sure about this statement ?

When i called the IRCC Customer service the agent very clearly told me only criminality is pending before the test invite.Yes only single applicants are eligible to apply online (So am I).

Submitting FP request doesn't mean that BG checks are complete: Yes it is complete the Criminality.I did confirmed with the IRCC agent when i ask about the status of my FP result.

Again the choice is depends on the applicants they really want to close this process or they want to wait for few more years to go non routine way.

My point is what's wrong trying to apply online if you are eligible. What you lose except money (either way non routine application will take time to process and no certain duration)

desertrose416

Star Member
May 20, 2020
Are you sure about this statement ?

When i called the IRCC Customer service the agent very clearly told me only criminality is pending before the test invite.Yes only single applicants are eligible to apply online (So am I).

Submitting FP request doesn't mean that BG checks are complete: Yes it is complete the Criminality.I did confirmed with the IRCC agent when i ask about the status of my FP result.

Again the choice is depends on the applicants they really want to close this process or they want to wait for few more years to go non routine way.

My point is what's wrong trying to apply online if you are eligible. What you lose except money (either way non routine application will take time to process and no certain duration)
I am not an expert but I would never encourage anyone to start the process from the beginning, again. It will raise suspicion with IRCC. You may never know, your application is at the final lap. Hang in there.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

Mystico_90

May 11, 2013
Canada
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Halifax, NS
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
20-08-2017
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
05-09-2017
I wonder when the officer will randomly pick my file and send me the interview email? I completed online test on March 26. This is so random and no one knows who they will be picking...

Last edited:

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I wonder when the officer will randomly pick my file and send me the interview email? I completed online test on March 26. This is so random and no one knows who they will be picking...
Not everyone gets an interview. If you have completed the test, there is a decent chance that the next communication from IRCC would be your oath invitation.

Good luck!

Mystico_90

May 11, 2013
Canada
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Halifax, NS
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
20-08-2017
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
05-09-2017
Not everyone gets an interview. If you have completed the test, there is a decent chance that the next communication from IRCC would be your oath invitation.

Good luck!
oh wow, didn't know that. Thanks for the info. I will watch for the email.

GokulGuruprasad

Oct 26, 2015
Toronto, ON
Category........
FSW
Just heard back from CIC Vancouver and they confirmed receiving my fingerprints.

They however couldn't really give me a status on my file - said that the local office would reach out to me "in due course regarding the next steps".
Told me the contact the call centre agent saying they'd be able to give me the status of my file.

Sapphire07/27

Star Member
Nov 4, 2017
Just heard back from CIC Vancouver and they confirmed receiving my fingerprints.

They however couldn't really give me a status on my file - said that the local office would reach out to me "in due course regarding the next steps".
Told me the contact the call centre agent saying they'd be able to give me the status of my file.
May I ask how you contacted them? Webform? I also want to know if they got my fingerprints!