+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

March 2010 application

Lassie

Oct 22, 2013
Would very much appreciate some advice on how to proceed from here, please !

Timeline - married Canadian Citizen Dec 1996
- became PR March 1997
- application for Grant of Citizenship submitted & received by CIC March 2010
- they sent me a letter in January 2011 regarding my absences from Canada to which I responded in March of 2011

Since then ... nothing. As background, I have travelled overseas often with my Canadian husband as he is an airline pilot. We have even lived outside of Canada because of his employment. However, we did live in Canada for a continuous period of four years and even given my absences, I still met the "physical presence" residence requirement. Not all of my absences were for vacations; my father passed away in May 2007 and subsequently my mother suffered a serious stroke so I went back to the UK for about a month both times. These absences, and reasons why, were detailed on the relevant forms.

Last week I sent an email to CIC requesting an update on my status and got a response that my case is still in process at CPCS in Sydney (where it was originally sent). That means my application has been there for 42 months, whilst even the average processing for "non-routine" cases is currently posted as 35 months.

Is it time to get a lawyer involved ... and if so, can anyone recommend an Immigration Lawyer in downtown Vancouver? I did also submit an AIPI request last week but not sure if that's going to help?

Many thanks in advance !

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Lassie,

Did you check your status online? What is your timeline?

Also what address did you have on your application. I would try to call the CIC instead of contacting them electronically. Try to get a feedback from the agent.

Lassie

Oct 22, 2013
Farrous13 thank you for taking the time to reply.

My online status still shows "in process", timeline is they received/acknowledged & sent Study Guide 18 March 2010. Last activity online is that they sent me a letter in January 2011 regarding my absences from Canada (not an RQ, didn't even know what that was until I started reading this forum last week !). I have called CIC many times over the last three years and all they'll tell me is that my application is considered "non-routine" I guess because of my absences from Canada. I used my Canadian address. So it appears that even though I responded to their request for further information back in March 2011, there has been no activity on my file since ...

parkbr

Star Member
May 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 4 2009
Doc's Request.
Mar 30 2012
AOR Received.
May 18 2012
File Transfer...
Jun 4 2012
Med's Request
Aug 1 2012
Med's Done....
Aug 13 2012 (Sent on 16th)
Passport Req..
Oct 29 2012
Lassie said:
Farrous13 thank you for taking the time to reply.

My online status still shows "in process", timeline is they received/acknowledged & sent Study Guide 18 March 2010. Last activity online is that they sent me a letter in January 2011 regarding my absences from Canada (not an RQ, didn't even know what that was until I started reading this forum last week !). I have called CIC many times over the last three years and all they'll tell me is that my application is considered "non-routine" I guess because of my absences from Canada. I used my Canadian address. So it appears that even though I responded to their request for further information back in March 2011, there has been no activity on my file since ...
Did you ever asked for some notes from CIC? I don't recall what it is called, but it was like CAIPS notes or something.
It will tell you in detail of your application. Also, what's your local office?

Lassie

Oct 22, 2013
I just requested the notes last week, so that could take up to 30 days. My local office would be Surrey, BC I guess, but email from CIC last week said it's still in Sydney, Nova Scotia where I originally sent it back in March 2010. Just getting very frustrated that it has been so long without any action. Their email did say they'd sent a request for an update to the Case Processing Centre in Sydney so I guess I'll just have to be patient a while longer.

touché

Star Member
Jun 15, 2013
Lassie said:
I just requested the notes last week, so that could take up to 30 days. My local office would be Surrey, BC I guess, but email from CIC last week said it's still in Sydney, Nova Scotia where I originally sent it back in March 2010. Just getting very frustrated that it has been so long without any action. Their email did say they'd sent a request for an update to the Case Processing Centre in Sydney so I guess I'll just have to be patient a while longer.
I think it's about time you involved a lawyer and your MP. That's a ridiculous timeline and to think your application is still in Sydney?