+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mandatory SIM upon arrival for students

AGoodSoul

Star Member
Jul 5, 2015
Hello Members

I heard that every student that lands on airport has to take a Canadian SIM Card as per border security rules.

I dont mind being tracked but then if we take a SIM there... Do we have the option of discounts on student plans or mobile service provider n handset.. like we get at best buy or Rogers stores after we enter Canada ?

Pls throw some light on this.

Will they allow me to buy Canadian SIM next month if I carry my Indian phone on international roaming. I don't mind roaming for first month (there are packages)

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Where did you hear this 100 percent untrue rumour ?

It could be possible I guess that some SIms/ phones may not be compatible with any North America networks but there is no legal requirement to buy a local SIM.

How do you think visitors to Canada manage , would you think they also could not use their phones legally without buying a Canadian SIM.

As far as phones at the border are concerned the only thing to be aware of is that CBSA have the right legally to inspect any phone or laptop content should they chose to do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: AGoodSoul

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Hello Members

I heard that every student that lands on airport has to take a Canadian SIM Card as per border security rules.

I dont mind being tracked but then if we take a SIM there... Do we have the option of discounts on student plans or mobile service provider n handset.. like we get at best buy or Rogers stores after we enter Canada ?

Will they allow me to buy Canadian SIM next month if I carry my Indian phone on international roaming. I don't mind roaming for first month (there are packages)
Not true, mate. 2 days after arrival and I still don’t have a local number... What I got at the airport was my SIN :p

Reactions: AGoodSoul

SMSH

Champion Member
May 21, 2012
Mississauga, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-06-2010
Doc's Request.
19-10-2010
Nomination.....
19-10-2010
AOR Received.
11-06-2011
IELTS Request
11-06-2010
File Transfer...
11-06-2011
Med's Request
01-10-2013
Med's Done....
07-10-2013 valid until 09-07-2014
Interview........
Exempted
Passport Req..
24-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-02-2014
LANDED..........
28-06-2014 Alhamdulillah
Hello Members

You or your friend can order online a FREE SIM card before your arrival with some savings on 1st bill. (Activation can be done as needed)
Its my own business in Canada since 2015 and you will love it the options we have , super easy. Chat on website for any further questions

CanadianCellSupplies.Com