+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Making friends as an introvert in new country?

sam3218

Champion Member
Jan 25, 2013
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-07-2018
AOR Received.
07-07-2018
Passport Req..
06-11-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2018
Hi all, moving to a new country is a big step no doubt, you leave behind all your friends and family behind and start from scratch. The transition is even more difficult when you are an introvert and have trouble making friends and connections. What do you suggest on making new friends for an introvert?

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Hi all, moving to a new country is a big step no doubt, you leave behind all your friends and family behind and start from scratch. The transition is even more difficult when you are an introvert and have trouble making friends and connections. What do you suggest on making new friends for an introvert?
There are lots of interest based Meetup groups that you can join (although options vary based on age). Usually an introvert just takes more time to open up and spending time with strangers on a shared interest can help in making new friends. If you are single, you could go on singles connect as well although as an introvert that might be more challenging.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
If you have hobbies or interests, try joining local organizations related to those. Being an introvert myself, I always find it easier to open up in groups that share similar interests. Be patient....it can take time

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Agree. Join clubs, sports groups, take a class in something that interests you like photography for example or cooking.

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
the same rules apply wherever you are. the plus side is if you move you're not bound by all the people you've met through your life and probably didn't like much anyways.

meetups are your best bet to start. there's plenty of English as a second language meetups where people just hangout at a coffee shop and speak english (or other languages).

create your own meetup as well depending on your type of activities

vjosi

Jun 23, 2017
tirane
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Rome
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-12-2017
Passport Req..
04-06-2018
LANDED..........
18-10-2018
Most of the people here stay with their community Indians with Indians for example. And generally, some people are shy or dont care to make new friends. However, if you sign up to a club, or a class it makes it easier to meet people

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Most of the people here stay with their community Indians with Indians for example. And generally, some people are shy or dont care to make new friends. However, if you sign up to a club, or a class it makes it easier to meet people
That isn’t true. Many people have a diverse group of friends. Many marry people from different cultural or religious groups. Don’t limit yourself to your own community. What is the point of moving to Canada then?

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
That isn’t true. Many people have a diverse group of friends. Many marry people from different cultural or religious groups. Don’t limit yourself to your own community. What is the point of moving to Canada then?
I think you and the person before you are saying the same thing

despacito2017

Star Member
Oct 4, 2017
Sign up for a short course for a subject that you are interested. You will have the dual benefit of gaining a new skill and getting a local qualification along with meeting new people. Equally, there are events that are held year round in many major cities that are specifically for new immigrants, so you will meet lots of people in a similar situation.

theguv

Dec 8, 2016
London UK
Category........
NOC Code......
Just relax and be open to people. It's hard, I'm an introvert too, but people will be interested in you and where you're from, why you moved potentially thousands of miles to be in their country. In return be interested in them, their culture etc. You'll meet people through work, by being a regular at a bar or in a local store. All the above suggestions are very good too; meetups and clubs/societies/interest groups are great as you already have "that thing" in common so the initial hurdle of what to discuss is nullified :)

Most of all just be yourself.

Reactions: sam3218

Miumiu

Aug 12, 2014
Alberta, Canada
I am a super introvert; my husband as well. I moved to Alberta in 2016, and my experience of making friends (not only my own ethnicity, but also diverse friends, other immigrants, Canadians...) is through continuously volunteering in local non-for-profit organization, local libraries (try different branches you will meet different people). As for my husband, he joined a couple of meetups and met some super cool people that share the same interests. Then we introduce our friends to each other so we have common friends.

Keeping your mind open is the key.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am a super introvert; my husband as well. I moved to Alberta in 2016, and my experience of making friends (not only my own ethnicity, but also diverse friends, other immigrants, Canadians...) is through continuously volunteering in local non-for-profit organization, local libraries (try different branches you will meet different people). As for my husband, he joined a couple of meetups and met some super cool people that share the same interests. Then we introduce our friends to each other so we have common friends.

Keeping your mind open is the key.
Always good to remember that there are other introverts around and other people with your same interests looking to make friends as well.

Reactions: sam3218

sam3218

Champion Member
Jan 25, 2013
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-07-2018
AOR Received.
07-07-2018
Passport Req..
06-11-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2018
Sign up for a short course for a subject that you are interested. You will have the dual benefit of gaining a new skill and getting a local qualification along with meeting new people. Equally, there are events that are held year round in many major cities that are specifically for new immigrants, so you will meet lots of people in a similar situation.
I really like the idea of a course. Thanks

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
there's something for everyone, introverts, extroverts, meetups, classes. it's hard to make friends as adults in general so don't pressure yourself if you don't have a hundred friends three months in. we have neighbors who barely say hello to us even though we've been seeing them for a year.

Reactions: Miumiu

Miumiu

Aug 12, 2014
Alberta, Canada
there's something for everyone, introverts, extroverts, meetups, classes. it's hard to make friends as adults in general so don't pressure yourself if you don't have a hundred friends three months in. we have neighbors who barely say hello to us even though we've been seeing them for a year.
It is so true. Adults are not as forthcoming when it comes to making new friends. As we grow older, we tend to stay in contact with those we have known from early years. And adult life comes with so many responsibilities, modern life, fast pace, people tend to avoid allocating time to making new connections... which makes it even harder.

What's worth adding to this, is that making a new friend means getting to the person, deepening the relationship. Not just met once and say hi and never see each other again. It takes time, so don't rush yourself.