+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MAKE RECORD OF LANDING FROM USA AND COME BACK - URGENT HELP NEEDED

PGH3SA

Aug 4, 2014
I am in Pittsburgh, United States close to Toronto. I acquired COPR (Certifcate of PR) for Toronto in April 2014 and have PR Visas valid now until March 2015.
My Green Card in USA is also likely to be initiated by my employer in Feb/March 2015 timeframe but there is little uncertainity. Hence I do not want to risk and miss my Canadian PR and hence I want to get my PR Card during Christmas holidays and come back to US and live for sometime before deciding to go back and settle in Canada. My question is
1. If I go to Border Crossing (like Niagra Falls) and get the Record of Landing, do I need to go for some days or can return within hours or a day ? What is the best bet and guideline/rule here?
2. Is it advisable to drive USA registered Car cross border for a day or two? I mean will I not have to export the car to Canada for making Record of Landing.
3. What do I do with Goods to Follow list in this situation.
4. Also when I come back to US and cross border within couple of days, Will the PR card be invalidated at a later date as I'd in USA by that time.

Any help in this regard is appreciated.

Regards
Sandy

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
1. Once you land, you are free to go back to the USA. There is no restriction. For land crossings, all you need is your COPR
2. I don't think you have to export your car right then. I remember I had 90 days or something to do so. But this was almost 15 years ago so I don't know what the deal is now.
3. My question is this - are you actually planning on living in Canada at all? Or is it just a backup plan in case your US green card falls through?
4. Your PR card is valid until the expiry date. But your PR status requires you to have lived in Canada for at least 730 days in a five year period. If you don't meet that requirement, you could get reported and your PR status stripped.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your car has to be in the goods to follow form. This has to be stamped when you land. It has to show the VIN number. Not sure if there is a time limit on how long you can import it after the form is stamped.

PGH3SA

Aug 4, 2014
Thank You Keesio for responding

My questions were more due to my apprehensions. I should have phrased them better

My intention is to settle down in USA if my Green Card falls through ultimately. Since it's not even applied yet and the Canada PR Visa is expiring in Mar 2105 , I want to make sure I cross border and get the Record of Landing as a backup

1. So in this case I am planning to just go cross border and come back the same or next day .Is this allowed? .Would the immigration officer not ask questions on why I am planning to just spend a day and return back to USA. One thing I can tell him is that my job contract in USA is not expiring until some time and hence I will return after that. How do I handle this situation. What all questions can I expect at the Border crossing to Canada.

2. Can someone point me to the list of all documents I need to carry. Do I need to prepare Goods to Follow List now itself during border crossing?

sriram.vsg

Dec 10, 2014
PGH3SA said:
Thank You Keesio for responding

My questions were more due to my apprehensions. I should have phrased them better

My intention is to settle down in USA if my Green Card falls through ultimately. Since it's not even applied yet and the Canada PR Visa is expiring in Mar 2105 , I want to make sure I cross border and get the Record of Landing as a backup

1. So in this case I am planning to just go cross border and come back the same or next day .Is this allowed? .Would the immigration officer not ask questions on why I am planning to just spend a day and return back to USA. One thing I can tell him is that my job contract in USA is not expiring until some time and hence I will return after that. How do I handle this situation. What all questions can I expect at the Border crossing to Canada.

>>>yes. Its allowed. You can even return immediately. You can mention that you are planning to return with in couple months.

they would ask you for the address in Canada to send your PR cards.

2. Can someone point me to the list of all documents I need to carry. Do I need to prepare Goods to Follow List now itself during border crossing?

>>>They would ask for goods to follow list. Better to carry with you the B4 form or you can say you would bring it next time as you are not moving in today