+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maintaining US PR while getting Canadian PR

Kimistry

Jan 27, 2015
Hello I am a PR in the US and my husband is a Canadian citizen. We recently sent our sponsorship/pr application to CIC. I want to know what to do for me not to loose my US PR status while my Canadian application is still in process. My husband and I were also thinking of doing a visitor extension though I am a bit worried that I might get questioned more in immigration. Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The process for keeping US green card status is quite a bit different than the Canadian PR card. The US expect you to make the US your primary home. Once you've been out of the US for more than a year, you can have your green card revoked at the border while re-entering. If you want to be outside of the US for more than a year - you should apply for a re-entry permit (you have to be in the US to apply for one). I believe reentry permits allow you to be outside of the US for up to two years. However at some point you'll have to return to the US to live there if you want to retain your green card. There's no way to keep green card status while living outside of the US long term.

Kimistry

Jan 27, 2015
scylla said:
The process for keeping US green card status is quite a bit different than the Canadian PR card. The US expect you to make the US your primary home. Once you've been out of the US for more than a year, you can have your green card revoked at the border while re-entering. If you want to be outside of the US for more than a year - you should apply for a re-entry permit (you have to be in the US to apply for one). I believe reentry permits allow you to be outside of the US for up to two years. However at some point you'll have to return to the US to live there if you want to retain your green card. There's no way to keep green card status while living outside of the US long term.
No sorry what i meant is I want to try to maintain my US PR card while my application is still in process but when I finally get my Canadian PR card I will forfeit my US.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Kimistry said:
No sorry what i meant is I want to try to maintain my US PR card while my application is still in process but when I finally get my Canadian PR card I will forfeit my US.
Effectively the same answer. Don't stay out of the US for more than a year. Make sure you are spending more time in the US each year than outside of the US. If you want to be outside of the US for more than a year - apply for a re-entry permit.