+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maintaining RO and PR card renewal

Sears123

Jan 25, 2018
Hi,

I have completed my soft landing back back in Dec 2018 and stayed in Canada for about 3 weeks .Since then I have been living in the US since my job is here . I had plans of moving this year but due to Covid, Job and other personal reasons, I don’t think I can move by this year. So lets say if I do not move by Dec 2021/Jan 2022, I will be technically completing 3 years outside Canada and I’m afraid of losing my PR status since I do not have the required 700 odd days yet.
So I would like to know what are my options and suppose if I plan to move Canada sometime in the 4th year ( in 2022) or 5th year (2023).

1.Will I be still allowed to enter through US-Canada land border ?
2. If I am allowed to enter, will I face any problems while renewing my PR card after living continuously in Canada for 2 straight years?
3. When at one point my PR card expires, will it be an issue living & finding employment in Canada for the remaining time with an expired PR card ?
4. Lastly, Will working with legal attorneys on this case increase my chances significantly through this entire process ?

Thanks.

IndianBos

Oct 8, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-Jun-2014
Nomination.....
16-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
11-Dec-2014
Med's Request
24-Apr-2015 (Delayed for adding a child)
Med's Done....
9-May-2015 (Updated 29-May-2015)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
17-Jun-2015 (mailed 29-June-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
11-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
7-Sep-2015
Hi,

I have completed my soft landing back back in Dec 2018 and stayed in Canada for about 3 weeks .Since then I have been living in the US since my job is here . I had plans of moving this year but due to Covid, Job and other personal reasons, I don’t think I can move by this year. So lets say if I do not move by Dec 2021/Jan 2022, I will be technically completing 3 years outside Canada and I’m afraid of losing my PR status since I do not have the required 700 odd days yet.
So I would like to know what are my options and suppose if I plan to move Canada sometime in the 4th year ( in 2022) or 5th year (2023).

1.Will I be still allowed to enter through US-Canada land border ?
2. If I am allowed to enter, will I face any problems while renewing my PR card after living continuously in Canada for 2 straight years?
3. When at one point my PR card expires, will it be an issue living & finding employment in Canada for the remaining time with an expired PR card ?
4. Lastly, Will working with legal attorneys on this case increase my chances significantly through this entire process ?

Thanks.
I would suggest to read through the responses on this thread, it should give you a good idea on what to expect.
In a nut shell, the closer you are to 3 year mark, the better your chances of entering without getting reported at the border, which may lead to loosing your PR.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/entering-as-a-pr-after-3-years-abroad.704790/