+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maintaining PR Status

s_manmohan

Dec 12, 2019
Hi Everyone,

This forum has really helped me through my doubts regarding PR procedure. Now that I have gone through almost all discussions, have a different question to put up.
Just so mention my Wife is the primary applicant and me being the secondary have applied under Express Entry Program and got through and now our passports have gone for stamping to Canadian Embassy and will shortly receive the COPR as well.
We are planning for soft landing in March tentatively and plan to stay and look around for a month and come back to country of origin, my questions are :
1. Now that we both have PR cards, if I (secondary applicant) qualify the minimum residing days of 730 days and my wife (primary applicant) does not, then PR for both of us will get cancelled or just my wife or vice versa.

2. And I plan to open up my own business, so will be going back and forth to my home country but still maintaining the minimum days of residence required, is it possible to do that ?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
1)the PR residency obligation is an individual responsibility so if you do not meet has zero effect on your wife and vice versa if she does not meet the RO.

2)As a PR you an come and go as often as you like as long as you continue to meet the RO and remember to always take your PR card with you when travelling outside of Canada

s_manmohan

Dec 12, 2019
Thank you so much for the immediate response.
Was very helpful.
And does one needs to enter the POE mentioned on COPR or can it vary as per convenience ?

s_manmohan

Dec 12, 2019
Another question, if we plan a family how will the new born have the Canadian Status, PR or CITIZEN :
1. If born in Home Country.
2. If born in Canada

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Another question, if we plan a family how will the new born have the Canadian Status, PR or CITIZEN :
1. If born in Home Country.
2. If born in Canada
  1. If the child is born outside of Canada, they are a foreign national. One or both of you would need to apply for sponsorship (and remain in Canada during the process) as a PR for the child.
  2. They would be Canadian.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Thank you so much for the immediate response.
Was very helpful.
And does one needs to enter the POE mentioned on COPR or can it vary as per convenience ?
You can enter at any port of entry. (Generally avoid Quebec unless your province of destination is Quebec).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There are separate residency requirements to maintain health coverage. You would have to arrive up to 3 months in advance to qualify for healthcare coverage and generally you have to remain in Canada for over 6 months or else you can be asked to pay back all the healthcare you use. Unless a pregnant woman leaves her jobs and moves to Canada it would be difficult to give birth here unless you pay for the care and delivery. That would be around 8k minimum.

s_manmohan

Dec 12, 2019
There are separate residency requirements to maintain health coverage. You would have to arrive up to 3 months in advance to qualify for healthcare coverage and generally you have to remain in Canada for over 6 months or else you can be asked to pay back all the healthcare you use. Unless a pregnant woman leaves her jobs and moves to Canada it would be difficult to give birth here unless you pay for the care and delivery. That would be around 8k minimum.
As per bloggers and relative in Alberta, Alberta goves the health card and coverage with immediate effect from the day we apply in 10 days - 15 days. Please calrify

s_manmohan

Dec 12, 2019
1)the PR residency obligation is an individual responsibility so if you do not meet has zero effect on your wife and vice versa if she does not meet the RO.

2)As a PR you an come and go as often as you like as long as you continue to meet the RO and remember to always take your PR card with you when travelling outside of Canada
Can you please share an official link on any Canadian Embassy website, mentioning the same.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just think about it in that your PR card is issued in your name only and not your wifes name and vice versa. When you come to renew your PR card only you apply to renew your card not your wife and vice versa. When you apply for citizenship only you apply as an individual and are granted as an individual nothing to do with your wifes status.

Same goes for travel outside of the country only you can use your PR card and your passport to travel back to Canada. If your card or passport are expired but your wifes still valid then only you are affected and vice versa.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=727&top=4

Of course the extreme exception to the above could be if the primary applicants PR application were ever to be found fraudulent at some point in the future, potentially affecting all applicants that were included,but that is a whole different scenario not relevant here