+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maintaining PR after exiting Canada

schmeichel

Star Member
Sep 27, 2008
Hi all,

I recently received my PR and I am planning to enter Canada by the end of this month. However, as my Mom is not feeling well, it is my intention to exit Canada by mid or end of December. I am aware of the 2 year out of 5 rule that needs to be adhered to for the maintenance of PR. Bearing this in mind, I would just like to estimate how long I should stay out of Canada for until I have to return to maintain my PR. Would a return by January 2015 be too late to maintain PR (assuming that I go on to stay in Canada for 2 years up to January 2017)? I would appreciate feedback on my situation, thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you leave Canada again in December 2012, you have up to 3 years you can stay outside Canada without losing your PR so you would have to enter again in December 2015 at the latest. However, if your mother is very ill and you must take care of her, collect evidence of that, medical reports etc. If you end up having to stay outside Canada so long that you can not meet the residency requirements, you can use your mothers illness as an excuse.

schmeichel

Star Member
Sep 27, 2008
Leon,

Thanks for your expeditious response, it is much appreciated, you always make immense contributions on this forum and we are fortunate to have you on board.