Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
25-Feb-2011 sent 01-Mar-2011 arrived @ F.E. 03-Mar-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-Mar-2011
LANDED..........
02-Apr-2011
I know for the fact that at certain point you will have to make up your mind and decide where you want to live and settle in, at that time there is no point to keep both 'cause you can become either US or CA citizen which will allow you to go in/out US without any struggles.

:)

superboy_ec

Mar 25, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 1, 2010
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
Nov 19, 2009
AOR Received.
July 7, 2010
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
not yet and I don't think it will
Med's Request
June 24, 2010 received July 7. 2010
Med's Done....
July 20, 2010 and cardio (sept/29)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
15-Mar-2011
LANDED..........
02-Apr-2011
Hello Parnit, sorry to bug you but do you have any answer to my question about how to get the interview for US PR transferred from my Country to here in Canada???..

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
superboy_ec said:
I know a few people who have had US PR for years and have not commited a fraud, they just go in/out US every certain period of time, is that considered a fraud as well? I don't think so!!
If they're going to the U.S. periodically in order to fool ICE into believing that they reside there when they really don't, then yes, that's the type of behavior I'm talking about.

U.S. permanent residents who move out of the U.S. lose their status. You can't get around that except by deception.

AlbertaGovernor

May 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
superboy_ec said:
Hello Parnit, sorry to bug you but do you have any answer to my question about how to get the interview for US PR transferred from my Country to here in Canada???..
you seem to be a intelligent superboy and this is a common sense. the forum is for canada immigration. not the US green card. from what i know i can tell is you have to choose for consular processing and contact your lawyer to change to consulare processing to canada.

superboy_ec

Mar 25, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 1, 2010
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
Nov 19, 2009
AOR Received.
July 7, 2010
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
15-Mar-2011
LANDED..........
02-Apr-2011
I seem to be is what I think don't you think. Thanks for the answer anyways. I don't need to explain but just for your clarification. Because he posted this Saying "maintaining both Canadian and US PR" that is why I asked because he may know what to do already. I think we are here to help each other not to kill each other, am I right?!!

superboy_ec

Mar 25, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 1, 2010
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
Nov 19, 2009
AOR Received.
July 7, 2010
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
15-Mar-2011
LANDED..........
02-Apr-2011
Look, I don't mean to burn any bridges here, I was just trying to make up my point but it looks like no one liked it or got a bit upset with what I said. The main reason why I asked the question to Parnit was because he mentioned he got his appointment here in Canada instead of his own country so I thought it would be nice if I ask and he can give me some guidance but that's fine I can probably find it myself. no hard feelings...Thanks to everyone..

SGPA

Star Member
Oct 15, 2010
How are you guys doing now? are you able to keep up with both US and Canadian PR status?

uskyoot

Star Member
Feb 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2014
AOR Received.
25-06-2014
File Transfer...
07-07-2014
Med's Done....
03-03-2014
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2014
LANDED..........
CORP received 5/8/2014 Landed 30/08/2014
I am a Canadian Citizen and US green card holder and I work for an Immigration lawyer in the US. No, you cannot maitain Canadian and US PR. PR stand for Permanent Resident. The following is a direct quote from the USCIS website

Maintaining Permanent Residence

You may lose your permanent resident status (green card) if you commit an act that makes you removable from the United States under the law, as described in Section 237 or 212 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) (see the “INA” link to the right). If you commit such an act, you may be brought before an immigration court to determine your right to remain a permanent resident.

Abandoning Permanent Resident Status

You may be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status if you:

Move to another country intending to live there permanently
Remain outside of the United States for more than 1 year without obtaining a reentry permit or returning resident visa. However, in determining whether your status has been abandoned, any length of absence from the United States may be considered, even if less than 1 year
Remain outside of the United States for more than 2 years after issuance of a reentry permit without obtaining a returning resident visa. However, in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the United States may be considered, even if less than 1 year
Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the United States for any period
Declare yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your tax returns

Aslo, as a resident you must file Income tax.....how are you going to explain to the IRS that you are a resident of Canada and to Revenue Canada that you a a resident of the US......remember, the two contries do exchange tax info.....

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will not have a problem with Canada PR even if you say you are a resident of the US because you are allowed to live outside Canada up to 3 years out of every 5 and during those 3 years, you can be a resident of any other country you like. As for the US PR, there is no requirement about the minimum number of days you must stay in the US to keep your PR. It is very open ended. However, you should not stay outside the US for more than a year at a time, preferably not more than 6 months. Several years ago, I knew people who had won the green card lottery and gained US PR and kept it alive for years simply by traveling to the US every 6 months. I also remember a guy on here who had been studying in Canada for 6 years and his US PR had still not been revoked.

If you live in Canada but take vacations in the US twice a year, you may get away with it, at least long enough to get Canadian citizenship. After you get citizenship, you can move to the US and work on your US citizenship.

SGPA

Star Member
Oct 15, 2010
Thanks uskyoot and Leon.

I think you both are right BUT in current circumstances what uskyoot has mentioned is very true.

After getting my Canadian immigration when coming back to US, the US immigration officer asked me not to go for both, he was VERY clear about this!

Such a tough situation. Not sure which one I should drop! still not have Green Card, but hope to have within 4 months or so.

Any suggestions / comparison which citizenship is better US vs Canadian -:)

Best,
SGPA

uskyoot

Star Member
Feb 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2014
AOR Received.
25-06-2014
File Transfer...
07-07-2014
Med's Done....
03-03-2014
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2014
LANDED..........
CORP received 5/8/2014 Landed 30/08/2014
Keep in mind that you could end up losing both.....

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You wont lose your Canadian PR as long as you stay in Canada at least 730 days any rolling 5 year period. The US rules are a bit more open ended and they might revoke your PR if they think you are permanently living in Canada.

The perfect solution would be living in the US and working in Canada. Any part of a day spent in Canada counts as a day in Canada towards the residency requirements so you would have no problem meeting 730 days in 5 years with 5 days a week in Canada. As for the US, you would truly be living there.

canadapr79

Nov 20, 2012
Following this thread because my best friend is in a similar situation.

Best of luck, SGPA, and please keep us posted. :)

SGPA

Star Member
Oct 15, 2010
Thanks Leon. This makes sense but hard to do this now a days. US immigration officers are very strict. This is my personal experience.

uskyoot: please explain what exactly you mean by losing both. I just want to make sure that I don't make any mistake and learn from your experience and expertise! what you will advise me what I should do?

Thanks.

Best,
SGPA

canadapr79

Nov 20, 2012
How are you, SGPA? Any updates on crossing the border with US greencard and Canadian PR?
What do you present to the border when you cross to Canada as proof of legal status in the US?
Thanks in advance for your help.