+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mailing PR card and Credit Cards to US

Takentaken421

Aug 30, 2018
I recently did soft landing and stayed in Canada for 2 days. My PR card has been mailed to my friend's address. I also opened bank account and applied for credit cards for both me and my wife.

Will there be any issues in mailing credit cards and PR cards through Fedex/UPS in one envelope? I know many people got their PR cards mailed from Canada, but I didn't find any experience regarding mailing credit cards. Can someone please guide me on this?

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
I recently did soft landing and stayed in Canada for 2 days. My PR card has been mailed to my friend's address. I also opened bank account and applied for credit cards for both me and my wife.

Will there be any issues in mailing credit cards and PR cards through Fedex/UPS in one envelope? I know many people got their PR cards mailed from Canada, but I didn't find any experience regarding mailing credit cards. Can someone please guide me on this?
No problem at all. The PR card is a hell of a lot more valuable and harder to replace than credit cards

Reactions: Takentaken421

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Thanks! Yes I agree PR card is far more important than credit cards but is there any legal implications if credit cards are sent across border?
No

Anpman

Apr 15, 2018

Hello
Wanted to ask u came back after 2 days and ur PR card was delivered to ur friends address? Did officer allowed u to give friends address for card?
As I did soft landing recently and officer said apply for PR card when you come here permanently..

mbaleine

Mar 13, 2019
Hello
Wanted to ask u came back after 2 days and ur PR card was delivered to ur friends address? Did officer allowed u to give friends address for card?
As I did soft landing recently and officer said apply for PR card when you come here permanently..
It obviously varies from officer to officer. Some don’t care, some follow the book strictly. When asked how much money I brought, I told mine 20 bucks and she thought it was so funny — clearly soft landing but she put in my address anyway.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Are you planning on moving to Canada soon. If not, I would limit your financial ties to Canada to assure you are not a resident for tax purposes. How did you get a credit card if you didn’t have a Canadian address, job and were not planning on remaining in Canada?

mbaleine

Mar 13, 2019
It's perfectly normal to pay for Canadian credit card balances from the US. Just need to transfer funds from the US to your Canadian bank account, or better yet, take advantage of cross-borer banking. The only downside is paying for extra foreign transaction fee, since most Canadian CCs nowadays don't waive that -- but that's only if you mind that extra bit of money. IMO it's totally worth it. Better to start building a solid credit history in Canada so that when one actually moves there is one, rather than starting from scratch after moving.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It's perfectly normal to pay for Canadian credit card balances from the US. Just need to transfer funds from the US to your Canadian bank account, or better yet, take advantage of cross-borer banking. The only downside is paying for extra foreign transaction fee, since most Canadian CCs nowadays don't waive that -- but that's only if you mind that extra bit of money. IMO it's totally worth it. Better to start building a solid credit history in Canada so that when one actually moves there is one, rather than starting from scratch after moving.
Most banks will want to see Canadian job and residence when applying for a credit card. Perhaps you got it through a newcomer package and the bank didn’t realize you were not remaining in Canada. Creating financial ties with Canada is not recommended because you may be considered PR for tax purposes and have to pay both Canadian and US taxes. Using a Canadian credit card to build up credit would be one of those things that are creating ties to Canada. If I were you I wouldn’t have opened a bank account and I would definitely not gotten a credit card with plans to use it.

mbaleine

Mar 13, 2019
I doubt they're gonna double tax. Even the US, which practices global taxation for its citizens, won't tax you twice for what you have already paid tax for in another country. The worst that can happen is paying the difference in tax rate. But nobody is going to tax your US income once in the US and then for a second time for the same US income in Canada at the full Canadian rate. Plus, last time I checked, Canada does not practice global income taxation. You may have to report your global income, but they will not tax it. That said, to each their own I guess.

mbaleine

Mar 13, 2019
Also, good luck to CRA trying to claim I'm a resident for tax purpose when all my transactions on the Canadian CC clearly all happened physically and geographically in the US, not Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I doubt they're gonna double tax. Even the US, which practices global taxation for its citizens, won't tax you twice for what you have already paid tax for in another country. The worst that can happen is paying the difference in tax rate. But nobody is going to tax your US income once in the US and then for a second time for the same US income in Canada at the full Canadian rate. Plus, last time I checked, Canada does not practice global income taxation. You may have to report your global income, but they will not tax it. That said, to each their own I guess.
Canada has a tax treaty with many countries including the US.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also, good luck to CRA trying to claim I'm a resident for tax purpose when all my transactions on the Canadian CC clearly all happened physically and geographically in the US, not Canada.
You can be a PR for tax purposes without setting foot in Canada if you have ties to Canada including financial ties. There is a reason most doing a soft landing leave with only a SIN. They want to minimize any ties to Canada.

arubix

Jan 3, 2019
You can be a PR for tax purposes without setting foot in Canada if you have ties to Canada including financial ties. There is a reason most doing a soft landing leave with only a SIN. They want to minimize any ties to Canada.
Can you link to any website that can verify this ? I have been trying to find out the financial and tax implications of soft landing .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can you link to any website that can verify this ? I have been trying to find out the financial and tax implications of soft landing .
There is no tax implication of doing just a soft landing. You want to minimize any links to Canada in order not to become a resident for tax purposes.