+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mailing PR Card Abroad (Immigration says don't do so!)

AkkiV

Star Member
Dec 3, 2017
Dear all,
I completed my first landing (short landing) procedure recently. As I am not sure when I will be moving to Canada, I was planning to have my PR card sent to a friend in Canada who would send it to me overseas by DHL etc. I have just updated my friend's address in the system by calling immigration over phone. The immigration agent told me that they would deliver the PR Card to the address I provided, but reminded me that I should not get the PR Card sent over my mail or have someone carry it for me as it will be confiscated if found. I asked the agent what is the fuss about it? The agent replied that PR Card entry/exits are monitored to determine the time a new PR has been in Canada and so they don't allow it to cross Canada's border like that. The agent asked me to apply for a PRTD for the next entry (I can take my PR Card from my friend then). However, I would like to avoid the added hassle of getting a PRTD so was wondering if they actually seize the PR Card?

Has anyone got their PR Card mailed overseas recently (I know earlier this was the norm but what is the situation recently)? I would be glad if you could share your experience here.

alimzlm

Star Member
Jul 12, 2011
Dear all,
I completed my first landing (short landing) procedure recently. As I am not sure when I will be moving to Canada, I was planning to have my PR card sent to a friend in Canada who would send it to me overseas by DHL etc. I have just updated my friend's address in the system by calling immigration over phone. The immigration agent told me that they would deliver the PR Card to the address I provided, but reminded me that I should not get the PR Card sent over my mail or have someone carry it for me as it will be confiscated if found. I asked the agent what is the fuss about it? The agent replied that PR Card entry/exits are monitored to determine the time a new PR has been in Canada and so they don't allow it to cross Canada's border like that. The agent asked me to apply for a PRTD for the next entry (I can take my PR Card from my friend then). However, I would like to avoid the added hassle of getting a PRTD so was wondering if they actually seize the PR Card?

Has anyone got their PR Card mailed overseas recently (I know earlier this was the norm but what is the situation recently)? I would be glad if you could share your experience here.
I applied PRTD because I was informed that the customs sometimes confiscate the PR cards .I avoided this risk

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Dear all,

My neighbor got her PR cards in US by Fedex around 1.5 months back. Those were couriered to her by her relatives in Canada. I know several other people who got their PR cards in US by courier in last 1 year.

Entry/Exits of PR residents are monitored through Passports and not PR cards.

Reactions: AkkiV

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Note for info PR card RFIDs are read at some land border POE entry points in an attempt to smooth the process . Expect at some point in the future who knows if funding allows they may more use of this technology for entry and exits at both land and airport POEs.

Funding intercepting PR cards in the mail not so sure how that would be on any government priority list so any that do get intercepted probably just unlucky or packaged with something else that comes to customs attention. Plus if anything it is the receiving country that will always be an unknown.

As per a reply to OPs post in another section IRCC agents have probably been told to discourage people from mailing outside of Canada given they themselves do not support it plus leaves the way open for people to potentially apply to renew from outside Canada which of course is not allowed.

Ultimately though consensus is that it is not illegal to mail or courier a card to someone outside Canada.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/rfid-irf-eng.html

Reactions: AkkiV

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I got my PR cards mailed to US through FedEx two months back. If anyone says it is illegal to do so, ask them to show under what law it is illegal.

When you talk to agents , it is better to avoid building such conversations. If you explicitly say that you are giving your friend's address, they would definitely come up with such things. It is common experience for many to have an agent tell that mailing PR card is illegal since long. You can Google this forum and find it.

When I called, I just limited saying that I need to update the address for my PR card and didn't let grow the topic on whose address it was, whether I'm moving there etc etc.

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
Just like passports PR cards can be mailed internationally. I did it through DHL few years ago. If there was an issue, it would be written on the CIC website.
Beware that call center agents are known to give wrong information.

AkkiV

Star Member
Dec 3, 2017
My neighbor got her PR cards in US by Fedex around 1.5 months back. Those were couriered to her by her relatives in Canada. I know several other people who got their PR cards in US by courier in last 1 year.

Entry/Exits of PR residents are monitored through Passports and not PR cards.
Ok. Thanks for the info!

AkkiV

Star Member
Dec 3, 2017
Note for info PR card RFIDs are read at some land border POE entry points in an attempt to smooth the process . Expect at some point in the future who knows if funding allows they may more use of this technology for entry and exits at both land and airport POEs.

Funding intercepting PR cards in the mail not so sure how that would be on any government priority list so any that do get intercepted probably just unlucky or packaged with something else that comes to customs attention. Plus if anything it is the receiving country that will always be an unknown.

As per a reply to OPs post in another section IRCC agents have probably been told to discourage people from mailing outside of Canada given they themselves do not support it plus leaves the way open for people to potentially apply to renew from outside Canada which of course is not allowed.

Ultimately though consensus is that it is not illegal to mail or courier a card to someone outside Canada.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/rfid-irf-eng.html
Thank you for the info! Appreciate your help :)

AkkiV

Star Member
Dec 3, 2017
I got my PR cards mailed to US through FedEx two months back. If anyone says it is illegal to do so, ask them to show under what law it is illegal.

When you talk to agents , it is better to avoid building such conversations. If you explicitly say that you are giving your friend's address, they would definitely come up with such things. It is common experience for many to have an agent tell that mailing PR card is illegal since long. You can Google this forum and find it.

When I called, I just limited saying that I need to update the address for my PR card and didn't let grow the topic on whose address it was, whether I'm moving there etc etc.
Yes, exactly! Just being over-cautious, I ended up discussing everything with the agent.

Baahubali

May 18, 2017
Hello,
Is it safe to mail PR card overseas using Canada post? I might sound cheap but courier charges of mailing packages to my country are minimum $110 plus taxes which I found too much. As opposed to this regular post charges are around $3. Because of this huge difference I thought of considering Canada post provided it is safe. Also I don't care if it arrives in 3-4 weeks as I am not bound by time.
Any ideas on Canada post?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,
Is it safe to mail PR card overseas using Canada post? I might sound cheap but courier charges of mailing packages to my country are minimum $110 plus taxes which I found too much. As opposed to this regular post charges are around $3. Because of this huge difference I thought of considering Canada post provided it is safe. Also I don't care if it arrives in 3-4 weeks as I am not bound by time.
Any ideas on Canada post?
If you don't mind get lost or no tracking of your shipment, then use Canada Post regular mail at your own risk.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Is it really that bad? I remember I got my WES report sent by regular post and I received it in 2 weeks.
Not I think really a comment aimed directly at Canada Post, even though within the country others might say otherwise, but implying untracked mail in general you have no idea once you post a letter where it is .

Plus of course once a letter leaves Canada anything can happen given no longer the responsibility of Canada Post, whereas by courier or tracked you get that sense your letter is secure in transit. Worst case for a PR card if doesn’t arrive in a few weeks, report lost and order new ,

Last edited:
Reactions: Baahubali