+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mailing passport to CIC?

Tom1144

Oct 6, 2016
Hi everyone,

I am applying PR in Canada through the Canadian Experience Class. I'm curious to know, is there a point in the process where you have to mail your passport to the CIC? If so, do you know if it's still possible to leave and enter Canada during that time?

I'm asking because I am planning a couple trips, about a week each within the next couple months, and want to avoid running into problems.

Thanks!

adaytoremember

Sep 18, 2014
It depends on whether you are from a visa-exempt country or not. If you are not, then yes, you will be required to mail your passport to CIC. This will happen right at the end of the process, so if you are only applying for PR right now, you are more than a couple of months away from being required to send them your passport.

Tom1144

Oct 6, 2016
Thanks for the response. I'm from the US so... I'm guessing that's visa exempt. I'm also applying from inside Canada. So seems like I won't have to do this step?

adaytoremember

Sep 18, 2014
Tom1144 said:
Thanks for the response. I'm from the US so... I'm guessing that's visa exempt. I'm also applying from inside Canada. So seems like I won't have to do this step?
Yes, that's correct, you won't have to send in your passport at all.