+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mailing Passport to CIC with Canada Post on Strike

mikedonald24

Jul 10, 2016
Hello

My Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) has been approved and I have been asked to mail my passport. However since Canada Post is on strike I cannot use Xpresspost. I am not sure how I can provide a prepaid envelope if I use a courier service like Purolater/DHL/Fedex.

Since I have to provide a return envelope so that my passport can be mailed back to me, what alternatives are there to Canada Post?

And if I do not provide a return envelope, how will CIC still return my passport (and since Canada Post is on strike, what mailing service would they use)?

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mikedonald24 said:
Hello

My Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) has been approved and I have been asked to mail my passport. However since Canada Post is on strike I cannot use Xpresspost. I am not sure how I can provide a prepaid envelope if I use a courier service like Purolater/DHL/Fedex.

Since I have to provide a return envelope so that my passport can be mailed back to me, what alternatives are there to Canada Post?

And if I do not provide a return envelope, how will CIC still return my passport (and since Canada Post is on strike, what mailing service would they use)?

Thanks
1. Courier with a pre-paid return envelope.

mikedonald24

Jul 10, 2016
But with Canada Post on strike, how will I get my passport?

As far as I know, I am not sure if I can get prepaid Fedex/other courier envelopes

simplyaddo

Jun 18, 2012
If you are applying for a TRV, wouldn't you be applying from outside of Canada? In which case, Canada Post would not be involved. Or am I missing something here?

cccccc

Jul 15, 2016
Same question. I received the request to send my passport to finish my re-entry visa application.

On the CIC website,
it says "Until Canada Post can guarantee their standard mail delivery services, we recommend that you only submit your passport by an alternative courier. "

But it also says "If you do not submit a return prepaid Xpresspost envelope or if you provide a return prepaid envelope from any other private courier, we will return your passport by regular mail. "

Should I use Canada Post or other couriers such as Fedex/UPS for my prepaid return envelope?

In addition, although IRCC resumes using Canada Post, the notice says that "If you paid for Urgent, Express or Pick-up service, you must pick up your passport at the location and on the date that was decided when you applied." Is Xpresspost considered to be an urgent/express survice?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
cccccc said:
In addition, although IRCC resumes using Canada Post, the notice says that "If you paid for Urgent, Express or Pick-up service, you must pick up your passport at the location and on the date that was decided when you applied." Is Xpresspost considered to be an urgent/express survice?
I think it referred to the measures that IRCC put in place when the strike was looming, for expedited processing:

Urgent pickup (processed in 24 hours) for an additional fee of $110.
Express pickup (processed in 2 to 9 business days) for an additional fee of $50.
Regular pickup (processed in 20 business days) for an additional fee of $20.
Collection from an IRCC office (available for collection in 25 business days) at no extra cost.

You can go ahead and use Canada Post Xpresspost.

Talinalex

Apr 11, 2016
Those who were asked to submit their passports , can you please tell me when did u apply online? I applied trv online to renew my visa as it ends on july 31, i already renewed my work permit.
I applied on 16/6/2016 and untill
No no updates on my file!!
Does anyone have any info? Will they approve or they may refuse???

Thanks