+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mail passports for PR stamp, husband in Canada, wife outside Canada

heypeach

May 10, 2015
I've posted this question under "Family Class Sponsorship" but were advised to post in this section instead. (sorry the forum didn't allow me to post links to my old post)

My question:

I'm applying under CEC and also sponsoring my wife under my application. I've got the email saying "Ready for Visa". Now I need to mail the passports for PR stamp.

The problem is that I live in Canada whereas my wife lives in China. I was originally asked in the email to mail it to Ottawa office. But the instruction reads as:
"If you or any of your accompanying family members are outside Canada or the United States, please disregard the following instructions and contact CPC-CTD-Ottawa@cic.gc.ca so that we can make arrangements to issue the documents at a local visa office."
To double check, I checked with CIC about how to handle this situation. They sent me another email that asks me to mail to Beijing office.
However, it asks for passports of all applicants which is so confusing....

I mean, what's the difference of mailing everything to Ottawa or Beijing? The point is that it's not good/safe to mail the passports across countries. I think they should've arranged it separately.
But they did not do anything different other than changing the office to another country...

Also in the Beijing email, they mentioned that the expiry date is 12/17/2015, which doesn't seem right to me. I thought it usually would only expire a few months after you get the PR stamp. But I just got the passport request on Nov. 9th, 2015.

Once you receive your Confirmation of Permanent Resident document(s), please check the information on it to make sure it is correct. If there are any errors, such as incorrect spelling of name or incorrect date of birth, please inform the CPC-Ottawa immediately. Your name will appear in the same format as it appears in your passport.

Please note: Your permanent resident visa will expire on 12/17/2015. If your passport or the passport of any of your dependents expires on an earlier date, the visa will expire on that earlier date.
Does anyone have similar issues before? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks

caththisking

Nov 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2015
AOR Received.
23-04-2015
Med's Done....
20-04-2015
Passport Req..
18-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-09-2015
LANDED..........
Planning in DEC 2015
Don't worry . you send yours to Ottawa and your spose/ children whoever in China to Beijing office. That's it. There is nothing to panic as its generic text. All applicants in your situation do the same.

Expiry date is not for your visa. It's for you to send your passport for stamping.

mesumrizvi

Nov 7, 2014
Toronto - Canada
Just send your passport to Ottawa.. and send email to CPC asking them to change visa stamping office for your dependents. DO NOT send their passports before you get a reply from them.. CPC will send a new email for your dependents. I know cause i did same for my spouse 10 days back and today we got Ready for Visa email for her after change in visa stamping office

caththisking

Nov 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2015
AOR Received.
23-04-2015
Med's Done....
20-04-2015
Passport Req..
18-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-09-2015
LANDED..........
Planning in DEC 2015
mesumrizvi said:
Just send your passport to Ottawa.. and send email to CPC asking them to change visa stamping office for your dependents. DO NOT send their passports before you get a reply from them.. CPC will send a new email for your dependents. I know cause i did same for my spouse 10 days back and today we got Ready for Visa email for her after change in visa stamping office
He already received email asking to send to Beijing.

ushiee88

Aug 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
two things to consider here. sending passports across countries is illegal. thats why what they assume is that if youre here you will have your passport and she will have hers with her..yours has to be sent to ottawa and your wifes would send to Beijing. where after they will send yours back to you and your wife will get hers at her home address. that way she will get her passport directly and you wont have to mail anything..

i havent been through this but this is how it works i assume

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
ushiee88 said:
two things to consider here. sending passports across countries is illegal.
Not true.

1) People mail/courier passports all the time. If you happen to be a citizen of India, the government of India has decided it is illegal to mail Indian passports. That does not apply to the rest of the world (there may be other countries with the same rules, but I don't know of any).

2) Not all countries have a CIC visa office that will issue PR visas. Therefore, applicants outside those countries with a visa office have no choice but to send their passports by international mail/courier (or travel there in person).

The OP could have asked his wife to send her passport to him and have them both stamped in Ottawa, but to do that by Fedex or other courier is expensive.

But since he already has CIC's instructions for his wife to send her passport to the Beijing office, that will likely be easier for them.

Need Canadian Pr

Jan 25, 2015
jes_ON said:
Not true.

1) People mail/courier passports all the time. If you happen to be a citizen of India, the government of India has decided it is illegal to mail Indian passports. That does not apply to the rest of the world (there may be other countries with the same rules, but I don't know of any).

2) Not all countries have a CIC visa office that will issue PR visas. Therefore, applicants outside those countries with a visa office have no choice but to send their passports by international mail/courier (or travel there in person).

The OP could have asked his wife to send her passport to him and have them both stamped in Ottawa, but to do that by Fedex or other courier is expensive.

But since he already has CIC's instructions for his wife to send her passport to the Beijing office, that will likely be easier for them.

100% agree with jes

some country don't allow send passport to abroad , example INDIA it is illegal to send passport abroad
again BANGLADESH it is legal to send passport abroad

SO NOW IT IS YOUR DUTY to find out that your country allow or not allow to send passport abroad.

note: contact your home country foreign ministry they will tell you it is legal or illegal

hope its help for you

yuzhao

Jan 9, 2016
Hi there, I am in the similar situation. And I emailed CPC-CTD-Ottawa@cic.gc.ca one week ago to inform them my situation. But have't got any reply yet..... So how long it took for you to get the reply from CIC after you contact them?
Many thanks

sabret00the

Star Member
Jun 25, 2014
Calgary
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CPC: Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Not relevant
App. Filed.......
12-Sep-2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
25-Nov-2014
AOR Received.
06-Jul-2015
IELTS Request
No
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
31-Aug-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jan-2015 (TRV Meds have not yet expired)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
21-Sep-2015
VISA ISSUED...
16-Sep-2015
LANDED..........
Dec 2015
If it's inland application the person living in Canada can send the passport to Ottawa while person outside Canada can send to local embassy through VFS Global.

I had the same case.

yuzhao

Jan 9, 2016
If it's inland application the person living in Canada can send the passport to Ottawa while person outside Canada can send to local embassy through VFS Global.

I had the same case.

Is this arrangement told from CPC-CTD-Ottawa@cic.gc.ca, after you inform them your situation? Or you read such kind of instruction somewhere else? Thank you very much!

CEC2013RAY

Jul 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-10-2014
Doc's Request.
24-03-2015
AOR Received.
02-03-2015
Passport Req..
01-03-2016
yuzhao said:

I had the same case.

Is this arrangement told from CPC-CTD-Ottawa@cic.gc.ca, after you inform them your situation? Or you read such kind of instruction somewhere else? Thank you very much!
Hi yuzhou, I assume you have finished all those processes. I am just wondering how long it took for pr stamp in beijing office for your case?

Manojgdv

Star Member
Nov 18, 2015
I got a email from CPCO-FinalRequest / CTDO-DemandeFinale asking to submit passports.I have few queries and need your help to overcome from this.

1)I am currently in USA on H1B visa,but my passport is at Nigerian embassy,New York for business visa stamping as I may need to travel to Nigeria,Lagos city as part of my project requirements tentatively for 1-2 months.
My travel date to Nigeria would be tentatively 20th April.
Can I send/submit my passport and photos from Canadian visa center present at Lagos,Nigeria.Could you please guide me with the process to do this from Nigeria.
2)I am not 100% sure whether I updated my spouse and kid as accompanying.Does my wife gets any email separately to submit her passport to visa center in India,Hyderabad as she is in India along with my kid and I am in USA currently.
Request you to please provide guidelines in this aspect as well
3)Does my spouse need to submit my kid's passport(1.5 yrs old) and photo's as well along with her at visa center,Hyderabad,India
4)Do i need to submit my docs along with my spouse and kid together with same cover letter and my signature
If my wife can submit them from India who need to sign it because on the cover letter i can see my UIC number
Request you to please provide guidelines in this aspect as well.

applepie6

Dec 22, 2018
I have applied for PR through PNP(Ontario) and received passport request for stamping visa saying "Ready for Visa".I am in Canada so I sent my passport to Ottawa already but my family is in Pakistan.On email it says that if you or your family member are outside of Canada then sent an email for instructions on IRCC.CIO-BRCD.IRCC@cic.gc.ca.Now its been more than 3 weeks and I haven't heard anything from them.I called CIC helpdesk and agent told me to send email on CPC-CTD-Ottawa@cic.gc.ca.Still waiting for last 1 week for their reply.

I know that we have to send the passport to VFS global but still I am waiting for the instructions from CIC. The deadline is to submit the passport within 30 days,now I am afraid as deadline is ending soon so are they going to accept my family member passports after it or no?

Princess Ayat

Star Member
Sep 15, 2018
I have applied for PR through PNP(Ontario) and received passport request for stamping visa saying "Ready for Visa".I am in Canada so I sent my passport to Ottawa already but my family is in Pakistan.On email it says that if you or your family member are outside of Canada then sent an email for instructions on IRCC.CIO-BRCD.IRCC@cic.gc.ca.Now its been more than 3 weeks and I haven't heard anything from them.I called CIC helpdesk and agent told me to send email on CPC-CTD-Ottawa@cic.gc.ca.Still waiting for last 1 week for their reply.

I know that we have to send the passport to VFS global but still I am waiting for the instructions from CIC. The deadline is to submit the passport within 30 days,now I am afraid as deadline is ending soon so are they going to accept my family member passports after it or no?
Have you got reply?

anand4udel

Star Member
Nov 3, 2017

Any Update?