+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Luggage amenities

way_ahead

Jun 8, 2016
Hello Members,
I will be flying from Mumbai to Vancouver... .... Just wanted to Confirm about Indian spices and any powder substance used only for Cooking purpose, we pack in our Luggage..... Also about carrying medicines....
How strict is the custom officers as far as any spices are found in the Luggage..????..Do they open every bag that contains spices in it ?? If anyone can share their experiences or knowledge regarding this topic or any other luggage which needs a proof at customs....Also let me know about Medicines..I would be carrying medicines for almost a year... that makes to 350 tablets...Maybe more.....
IT will be really Helpful to get things cleared out......

Thank You :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would leave all food items behind. Everything can be bought in Canada. Some things are allowed into Canada and some aren't. If you bring a lot, you may end up having all food items confiscated.

As for medication, you are allowed to bring a 90 day supply into Canada. It's possible they may confiscate everything above a 90 day supply.

skyra2015

Star Member
Feb 20, 2016
india
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12 MAY 2015
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
14 TH MAY 2015
Med's Request
20 TH JULY 2015
Med's Done....
18 TH AUG 2015
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
9TH MAY 2016
way_ahead said:
Hello Members,
I will be flying from Mumbai to Vancouver... .... Just wanted to Confirm about Indian spices and any powder substance used only for Cooking purpose, we pack in our Luggage..... Also about carrying medicines....
How strict is the custom officers as far as any spices are found in the Luggage..????..Do they open every bag that contains spices in it ?? If anyone can share their experiences or knowledge regarding this topic or any other luggage which needs a proof at customs....Also let me know about Medicines..I would be carrying medicines for almost a year... that makes to 350 tablets...Maybe more.....
IT will be really Helpful to get things cleared out......

Thank You :)
Hey u can carry all d spices u need but it should be in ur big bag and not in hand, Being indian they r aware that we will take spices n all. This is my personal exp as i have landed just on 10th of june'2016. As far medicine is concern regular medicine they dont chk.but put it in ur big bag.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
For prescription medication 90 days supply only and be prepared to show the prescription document. Also note that it is illegal later on to have any prescription medication shipped by post into Canada by a private individual.

As for what other posters say that they had no issues that only applies to their experience so if you are subject to a customs search with for example 350 tablets they could all be confiscated worst case as could the spices although latter unlikely. It is your decision only what action you want to take with importing anything and if asked what you have of course be honest given anything other than honest could be worse if bags searched.

way_ahead

Jun 8, 2016
ooooooppsss.... So u mean to say if I carry the Prescribed 90 days medication with me on my flight right now, Then After 90 days I CANNOT courier or Post me from INDIA another set of 90 days medication and so on...??? :(..

branded_man

Star Member
Oct 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Cio ns / cpc ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-11-2014
Doc's Request.
23-04-2015
Nomination.....
14-10-2014
AOR Received.
13-04-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted but not needed
File Transfer...
28-05-2015
Med's Request
23-04-2015
Med's Done....
07-05-2015
Interview........
Nope
Passport Req..
02-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
08-06-2015
LANDED..........
Already in canada
Wayhead

You can bring meds but not a lot and also do not bring lots of food
You name the thing and u can get it in Canada lol
Also listen to scylla she is awesome with advices xD

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
way_ahead said:
ooooooppsss.... So u mean to say if I carry the Prescribed 90 days medication with me on my flight right now, Then After 90 days I CANNOT courier or Post me from INDIA another set of 90 days medication and so on...??? :(..
See section 6 figure 2 in this document re personal imports. http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/compli-conform/import-export/gui-0084_biu-uif-eng.php

Residents or visitors are allowed to bring 90 days of prescription medication on their person or in accompanied luggage but actual residents are not allowed to personal import via mail or courier so the answer in effect is no after 90 days have been used you cannot import by courier or post from India. So there are different rules for visitors versus residents although even then visitors can only import a second 90 day course subject to conditions as documented in above document section 6 figure 2 .

Also see CIC guidance here https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/medication

Those are the rules so is a personal decsion to follow or not and as said just because on a forum someone says they had no problem doesnt make it right or that you would not have a problem..