+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Low Salary. does it matter?

canexpress

Jan 13, 2018
Hi.
Does the amount of salary affect my eligibility for express entry? I receive slightly low income for eligible NOC.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
It doesn't matter generally.. But if it's way too low, the officer would get suspicious. Like if you say $10-$15 for a computer programmer in Canada, it will definitely raise red flag.

Reactions: sam_dawkins

Simar sandhu

Jul 2, 2018
Hello..actually I’m working as aa dispatch supervisor in trucking company..my pay is $16 /hr..is it ok to apply for express entry..

ImmigrantVL

Star Member
Mar 5, 2018
Hello..actually I’m working as aa dispatch supervisor in trucking company..my pay is $16 /hr..is it ok to apply for express entry..
It does not matter at all as long as you are performing the duties in accordance with NOC code for your position. I believe that your NOC is 1215. So make sure that your job description matches that code.

ImmigrantVL

Star Member
Mar 5, 2018
actually it does. please dont give false hope.
evern though CIC says pay doesnt matter, which is stupid, because then why have there have been cases where VO rejected applications because pay for their occupation was too low?
Pay does matter if it is a way below the average wage. For example, the server who is making around $11/hour is applying as a restaurant supervisor whose average wage is around $17-19 or the clerk with a pay of $14.25 applying as clerks supervisor whose wage is approx $18-20. In the first case, the application would get refused easily as the servers make below the minimum wage (at least in Ontario)and the supervisors cannot make below that, but for other jobs $2-4 variance is kinda possible. We have the dispatch department at our company, and the entry level supervisors used to make here from about $17-19 while more senior ones make approx $21-24 so I assume that in this case it is more important to show that the applicant is performing the duties of Dispatch supervisor

YouthTree

Jul 4, 2018
Pay does matter if it is a way below the average wage. For example, the server who is making around $11/hour is applying as a restaurant supervisor whose average wage is around $17-19 or the clerk with a pay of $14.25 applying as clerks supervisor whose wage is approx $18-20. In the first case, the application would get refused easily as the servers make below the minimum wage (at least in Ontario)and the supervisors cannot make below that, but for other jobs $2-4 variance is kinda possible. We have the dispatch department at our company, and the entry level supervisors used to make here from about $17-19 while more senior ones make approx $21-24 so I assume that in this case it is more important to show that the applicant is performing the duties of Dispatch supervisor
Is this for all streams or one in particular?

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Hi.
Does the amount of salary affect my eligibility for express entry? I receive slightly low income for eligible NOC.
Following up on what @ImmigrantVL stated above. Totally agree.
It does matter to some extent, and it's also country specific, as job markets and wages are different across the globe.
When application is transferred to LVO, they check if salary is consistent with other salaries they see for the same the duties. Of course I presume there is quite some wiggle room and discretion when assessing such element, as it's hard to pinpoint one salary to one type of position.

It shouldn't be too high, and shouldn't be too low. A consultant told me that once.
If you're a manager/director and you're paid minimum wage, that will most probably raise suspicion...
But if paid slightly less than what you're friends are getting paid for the same job, no problem.

YouthTree

Jul 4, 2018
I have a strong letter from a big company and it lists 75% of the duties, but my wage was always the same as a liquor server. Not sure how they'll judge it. I have skills but I was underpaid, seems unfair to refuse me

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
I have a strong letter from a big company and it lists 75% of the duties, but my wage was always the same as a liquor server. Not sure how they'll judge it. I have skills but I was underpaid, seems unfair to refuse me
What's the position and salary?... And what salary you believe you shoud've had?

YouthTree

Jul 4, 2018
Restaurant manager on duty, $10.10, however this has gone up but it was the maximum pay for a liquor server at the time. I'm not sure what managers wage was a year ago but at the moment it's this:

People working as a fast food restaurant manager in the Lower Mainland - Southwest Region usually earn between $13.00/hour and $41.00/hour. These wages are applicable to all Restaurant and food service managers (NOC 0631)

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Restaurant manager on duty, $10.10, however this has gone up but it was the maximum pay for a liquor server at the time. I'm not sure what managers wage was a year ago but at the moment it's this:

People working as a fast food restaurant manager in the Lower Mainland - Southwest Region usually earn between $13.00/hour and $41.00/hour. These wages are applicable to all Restaurant and food service managers (NOC 0631)
and where are you based?

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Vancouver
Normally you should've been raised to at least 11.40$/h, minimum wage starting June 2018...
But anywho I really don't think in this case it should pose a problem. It may trigger some scrutiny, but rejection itself, highly doubt it.

Check this. A case of rejection where applicant claimed she was refused because of salary, but was because of duties. Interesting jurisprudence summary.
http://www.cba.org/CBA/cle/PDF/IMM13_paper_meurrens.pdf

Extract:
"

Regarding the issue of salary, the Court noted that it was both permissible and reasonable for an officer to have considered the salary paid to the applicant in comparison to that paid in a geographic area for similar work as a fact relevant to the assessment of an applicant’s job experience.

The Court in Qin did state, however, that a salary below the market rate cannot in of itself disqualify someone from the CEC.

The Court stated:
Contrary to what the applicant asserts, the officer did not use salary as a preliminary disqualifying factor or to perform a “gatekeeper function” to disqualify the applicant’s application. Had the officer done so – as the respondent conceded – he may well have engaged in an unreasonable and incorrect interpretation of the Regulations. In this regard, there is a significant difference between requiring a minimum salary as the starting point for consideration – and weeding out those who do not earn the minimum salary – as compared to examining the salary paid as but one of the data points relevant to determining if an applicant possesses the requisite experience to qualify as a member of the Canadian Experience Class.

"

I guess we can put this matter to rest. Although it may cause scrutiny, it cannot by itself cause rejection.

Cheers.