+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Low marks in Maths

rafayqasim

Oct 22, 2022
I want to apply for a 2/3 year diploma in computer programming in a Canadian college, My overall percentage in 12th grade is 61% and I only got an E grade (40 marks) in maths.
I have heard that the visa can get rejected due to low marks in core subjects related to the program even if I get an offer letter from a college.
Is it true? If anyone has experience then please do share!
Also, my marks in Computer subject are quite high (91% total in both 11 and 12th grade) so can they make up for it?

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I want to apply to a 2 year diploma in computer programming in a Canadian college, My overall percentage in 12th grade is 61% and I only got an E grade (40 marks) in maths.
I have heard that the visa can get rejected due to low marks in core subjects related to the program even if I get an offer letter from a college.
Yes it is true. If you have low marks, IRCC will be concerned you will not pass your courses.

rafayqasim

Oct 22, 2022
Does your program have math courses? If so, your low marks may be considered. You will not know until you apply.
Only English and maths is mentioned on the college website (seneca shows that only 33% is required in course related subjects)

rafayqasim

Oct 22, 2022
Will still be an issue with IRCC. The other issue is taking a 2 year diploma and not a 3 year or degree.
How does that work? Are you saying I should take a 2year diploma instead of 3 ? I linked the 3 year diploma in the previous reply, I'm open to both actually

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Will still be an issue with IRCC. The other issue is taking a 2 year diploma and not a 3 year or degree.
Most colleges accept almost anyone if there is room in their program. At Unfortunately international students are viewed as potential money. You are at least enrolling in a reputable public college and looking at programs that will likely lead to employment in your field in Canada. IRCC is the one who denies people out of concern that they will not be able to pass the courses. There are quite a few people who fail courses and end up on academic probation even if they have had good marks in their home country. That could be for a variety of reasons from homesickness and trouble adjusting to living on your own, pressure to work and study, poor home environment if you are sharing a home with many others, grades may have been inflated in your home country, struggle with English, etc. There isn’t a backlog system In Canada.

rafayqasim

Oct 22, 2022
Most colleges accept almost anyone if there is room in their program. At Unfortunately international students are viewed as potential money. You are at least enrolling in a reputable public college and looking at programs that will likely lead to employment in your field in Canada. IRCC is the one who denies people out of concern that they will not be able to pass the courses. There are quite a few people who fail courses and end up on academic probation even if they have had good marks in their home country. That could be for a variety of reasons from homesickness and trouble adjusting to living on your own, pressure to work and study, poor home environment if you are sharing a home with many others, grades may have been inflated in your home country, struggle with English, etc. There isn’t a backlog system In Canada.
I directly emailed and asked Seneca if I'm eligible for the 3year course considering my low grades and they said I am, so now I'm just worried about the IRCC rejection. Is there any official guideline from them regarding this? Because some people say it's not ircc's concern what your grades are as long as the uni/college accepts you into the program

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I directly emailed and asked Seneca if I'm eligible for the 3year course considering my low grades and they said I am, so now I'm just worried about the IRCC rejection. Is there any official guideline from them regarding this? Because some people say it's not ircc's concern what your grades are as long as the uni/college accepts you into the program
IRCC absolutely cares. Colleges will give you admission despite having poor grades. IRCC will be concerned that you will fail courses, and not be able to compete the program and then not return home.

Reactions: canuck78 and YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
IRCC cares a lot more than colleges and universities. We see very few colleges and universities denying admission to students except for things like masters and PhD programs at public universities. IRCC is the one who does the majority of refusals when it comes to students. Getting admission is the easy part especially for colleges. In cases like Seneca sometimes the course is full but they often just accept you for the next term. Some colleges accept everyone. Unfortunately many international students don’t do enough research and are only worried about getting accepted and not the quality of education. You can always do a program in your home country first and improve your results and then apply for a post grad program in Canada if your grades lead to a study permit refusal.

Reactions: YVR123 and Naturgrl

Kulsum123

Jan 18, 2024
I want to apply for a 2/3 year diploma in computer programming in a Canadian college, My overall percentage in 12th grade is 61% and I only got an E grade (40 marks) in maths.
Also, my marks in Computer subject are quite high (91% total in both 11 and 12th grade) so can they make up for it?