+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Low academics.

thahoody

Apr 21, 2021
Hello,

I completed my civil engineering in 2017 December and since then I've been working as an Civil engineer.

Since Covid-19 construction companies are struggling to get any new projects.

So, I thought this would be the perfect time to upskill myself.

However, I recently went to a Educational consultant and they informed me that my Engineering percentage is too low (51.4%) and I wouldn't get admission in any university or college.

Even though my percentage is low I've a read a thread on this forum that explains that even with low academics we can secure admission in a uni/college. However that particular case could've been a lucky fluke.

So what do you ppl think of the chances of me getting accepted in a college or a university?

My PTE overall PTE score is 79
S-90, L-82, R-78, W-70

Also my PTE is also about to expire pretty soon.

So I was thinking of attempting Duolingo English Test.

Is DET acceptable for Canadian universities for a certificate program?

My preferred college and course is Construction Project Management at Canadore college for September intake 2021.

Any helpful reply would be appreciated

Thanks

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Hello,

I completed my civil engineering in 2017 December and since then I've been working as an Civil engineer.

Since Covid-19 construction companies are struggling to get any new projects.

So, I thought this would be the perfect time to upskill myself.

However, I recently went to a Educational consultant and they informed me that my Engineering percentage is too low (51.4%) and I wouldn't get admission in any university or college.

Even though my percentage is low I've a read a thread on this forum that explains that even with low academics we can secure admission in a uni/college. However that particular case could've been a lucky fluke.

So what do you ppl think of the chances of me getting accepted in a college or a university?

My PTE overall PTE score is 79
S-90, L-82, R-78, W-70

Also my PTE is also about to expire pretty soon.

So I was thinking of attempting Duolingo English Test.

Is DET acceptable for Canadian universities for a certificate program?

My preferred college and course is Construction Project Management at Canadore college for September intake 2021.

Any helpful reply would be appreciated

Thanks
Some colleges accepts DET. Durham College, for example, accepts DET during this pandemic time. Check with Canadore College on their acceptable English proficiency requirements.

fritchou

Jan 21, 2019
Tunisia
kinda a bit late for Sep 2021 intake. take in mind study permit application period and re-application in case of rejection.

DET is now acceptable in many colleges or universities u must check before applying if the program accepts duolingo.

also make sure the choice of programs align with ur past education and work experience and preferably a post graduate program ( to avoid visa issues )

check post graduate diplomas in your field. also take iels ( computer / faster ) it will stay with u and u might need it during study permit application.

thahoody

Apr 21, 2021
I see. I only want to go for DET because IELTS slots aren't available right now in my area as we are currently in a lockdown.

I thought I could save some time in the admission process if i go for DET.

However what do you guys think about my engineering percentage? Do you guys think that I'll be able to secure admission in any college?

I checked websites of few colleges that have Certificate project management in their curriculum and i cant seem to find any minimum percentage requirements.

Only bachelors degree with relevant background and minimum IELTS score of 6 or equivalent.

Should I just go ahead and apply for universities without the help of any agents ?

crimsonautumn

Star Member
Mar 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I see. I only want to go for DET because IELTS slots aren't available right now in my area as we are currently in a lockdown.

However what do you guys think about my engineering percentage? Do you guys think that I'll be able to secure admission in any college?

I checked websites of few colleges that have Certificate project management in their curriculum and i cant seem to find any minimum percentage requirements.

Only bachelors degree with relevant background and minimum IELTS score of 6 or equivalent.

Should I just go ahead and apply for universities without the help of any agents ?
Universities list out minimum percentage in their eligibility criteria. Colleges would be your best bet.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020

Any college? Sure
Good college? Probably not

thahoody

Apr 21, 2021
Doesn't matter what college I get into. Employers here don't care about good college. they only care about overseas degree.

I've narrowed down colleges to Conestoga, Canadore, Fanshaw, Cambrian and Lambton.

Does any of these colleges fall under good colleges category ?